The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Singing the Praises of Chamberlain's Lotion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Faster
View Profile
New user
Texas
57 Posts

Profile of Faster
Just to add my 2 cents:

I've used Chamberlain in the past. It was (and is) great. Get it. Try it. You won't be sorry. But I think there is actually something better:

8-9 months ago, there was another thread here at TMC that went into all the particulars about what ingredients are good, which are bad, which are counter-productive. Glycerin seemed to be the top choice of ingredients, with ethylene-glycol as a distant second choice. Glycerin apparently soaks into the epidermis and attracts water, both from your body and from the air, and keeps that moisture in the epidermis. Right where you need it. It isn't oily; just moist.

Alcohol was the counter-productive ingredient as it acts to DRY the skin. It's added to help make a lotion dry faster so your skin doesn't feel wet from the lotion, but it actually reduces the overal moisturizing effect. Go figure.

Animal (lanolin) and petroleum (petrolatum) oils and waxes are, according to that thread I refer to but can't find in a search, the absolute worst ingredients (for most people, but of course others swear by those ingredients). These are the “make your hands feel silky smooth" ingredients, which of course don't provide much tackiness unless you leave a sheen of lotion on your hands. Which then gets on your cards and ropes and coins and clothes.

I tried the corn huskers and a few others that were mentioned. More or less, they all seemed to do OK, not really better or worse than Chamberlain. Some lasted longer with less tack, others were too tacky for me, some had strange smells. But I'd vote Chamberlain the best over all of them by a narrow margin.

By accident I stumbled across something in my local CVS, the hand lotion section. It's a bottle of 100% pure vegetable glycerin. No oils, no waxes, no alcohols, no fragrances, no anything but glycerin. I don't use anything else since I discovered this stuff. It doesn't have a tack. It actually does make the skin moist, and keeps it that way for a half hour or more.

The brand I'm using is Jaloma (from Mexico). It's in a small, white plastic bottle about 5 inches tall with a dark green cap. The UPC is 759684514906 for the 2oz/60ml bottle. Here's a picture of the product:

4.bp.blogspot.com/_3jHmlAww__A/Sh2ejx5NGfI/AAAAAAAAADI/yb60Dtthh6Q/s320/Picture+014.jpg

Don't get stuck on finding Jaloma brand. Any pure vegetable glycerin will do. Find any brand local to you. Ask your pharmacist what they can order for you. I suppose you could try a chemical supply company and order a 500ml bottle of the stuff, but you'd be leaving most of it to your kids in your will.

Here's how I use it:

10 minutes before practice or performance, I place the tip of a right-hand finger over the mouth of the open bottle and shake (it's a little viscous and requires shaking, not just tilting). I wipe whatever little bit is on my finger onto the thumb heel of my left hand, then switch hands. I repeat using a finger from my left hand on the bottle, wiping the glycerin onto my right-hand thumb heel. Then I thoroughly work this in for about 2 minutes, making sure I get the side of the fingers, the crotch of the thumb, etc.

For about 5 minutes, my hands will feel oily. Then they suddenly change to being silky, not oily. After 8-10 minutes, the silkiness goes away and I'm left with moist but not damp hands. They aren't tacky in the sense of a glue or stick-um. They are tacky only in the sense of a moist hand versus a dry hand. Coins and cards palm wonderfully. Block pushovers, strike seconds, culling, you name it--they all execute wonderfully without leaving anything on my cards or coins.

The glycerin effect lasts about 45 minutes if you're really manipulating things, or maybe 30 minutes longer if you're just sort of lazily practicing something.

One thing to beware of is... If you've just washed your hands and dried them, DON'T apply pure glycerin for about 15 minutes. I've made that mistake a few times. What you get are hands that are actually DAMP. You can touch a coin and see the moisture on the surface and watch it evaporate. That's far too moist and actually makes handling a bit slippery. Give your skin a chance to let the rinse-water evaporate before using pure glycerin.

Price for the Jaloma: I paid 99 cents per 2oz bottle back in July 2009. That puts it a little cheaper than Chamberlain but only just. A 2oz bottle lasts me about 3 months with daily practice and twice weekly performance. There's a 4oz bottle available but I like the 2oz as it fits nicely in my gig pouch with my coins and cards and giveaways.

Happy handling!

Richard
DATMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Shreveport, La
304 Posts

Profile of DATMagic
I went to a lecture at the TAOM and noticed one of the lecturers getting ready. I don't remember his name, but after the show I asked what he used on his hands. He showed me a small spray bottle of Zim's Crack Spray. It seems to work great for me, anyone else ever heard of it?
David A Trombetta

DAT does the Trick
DATdoestheTrick.com

Smile
email [email]DATMagic@aol.com[/email]
tvellalott
View Profile
New user
melbourne, australia
54 Posts

Profile of tvellalott
I've been wondering for a while about a good hand lotion to use. My hands variate greatly between slippery and too dry. I'll be giving a few of these suggestions a go!
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
I've been using Chamberlin's lotion for quite awhile. It works great, but I still want a few grains of violin/viola bow rosin on the tips of my fingers for coin work.

dsalley13
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2010-06-24 23:56, dsalley13 wrote:
I've been using Chamberlin's lotion for quite awhile. It works great, but I still want a few grains of violin/viola bow rosin on the tips of my fingers for coin work.

dsalley13

I use it consistently almost every day, for magic and not. I have dry hands. This stuff is by far my favorite. Smile
Looking for a coin?
A coin holder or accessory?
THE COIN MAGICIAN'S RESOURCE:
The Magician's Coin
magus-inc
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of magus-inc
Its driving me crazy - surely someone in the uk sells Chamberlain's Golden Touch
.....follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you........
Chris Cain
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Chris Cain
Quote:
On 2010-08-10 04:42, magus-inc wrote:
Its driving me crazy - surely someone in the uk sells Chamberlain's Golden Touch

I looked for quite some time for someone selling it in Europe but had no luck. In the end I ordered it from Stevens Magic. Great service and fast shipment.

That being said, Golden Touch has made magic fun to practice again! I've tried a whole bunch of creams, oil et cetera, but nothing compares to this stuff. I feel like a clammy handed pubescent kid again! Smile
Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Mowee
I just bought some Chamberlain Golden Touch in the travel size at a local pharmacy...$3 for the bottle. Tried the sampler before I bought it...wow. My hands were so dry and now they are great...bout 6 hours later still have a little tack and suppleness. I am sold.
jmcgrath
View Profile
Regular user
Tomorrow I'll make another
147 Posts

Profile of jmcgrath
I've just been over in Houston for a week on business and I have been looking in every pharmacy that I pass for Chamberlins and I've had no luck what so ever. While lamenting this lack of Chamberlins with Scott Wells one night he reminded me that John Carney recommends Vagisal.

So I ended up getting the following:
Corn Huskers - this helped moisturise, but never left any appreciable 'tack'
Glycerine - this seemed to work better than corn huskers and left a nice tack
Vagisal - (boy do you get weired looks in Walmart buying that stuff) a great moisturiser, but never left any tack.

One thing that I did find out though was that having my hands 'tackier' or even just better moisturises changes several of the grips that I have to use. I find it very difficult to bottom deal cards with my hands like this, and even second dealing was pretty tricky.

It didn't seem to do much at all however to my coin work though. I'll take that as a good thing though.

Regards,

John
John McGrath
gary31525
View Profile
Regular user
Building a fence with
158 Posts

Profile of gary31525
Quote:
On 2009-10-13 11:07, Corbett wrote:
Just had to inject this quick comment/review of Chamberlain's. This stuff takes all the worry out of quickly and securely palming coins. I did a 3 hour set of strolling stuff this past weekend, and about once every hour, I would quirt 2 quirts of this stuff on my hands. Creates just the right amount of tackiness. This stuff is great.

Just want to say I tried Corn Huskers lotion and thought that stuff was awesome, until I tried Chamberlain's 'Golden Touch Lotion', nothing else I have used even comes close to 'Golden Touch', the tack lasts for a long time, other lotions I've used I've had to reapply a lot, not with Chamberlain's, love that stuff!
Mark Stevens
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Mark Stevens
I hate to toot my own horn so to speak, but for $5.50 Postpaid you can have in about 1-2 days (to Texas). The travel size is PERFECT. We have sold over 1,000 bottles, with many customers buying 3 units per order. We ship the same day 90% of the time (except Sundays').

http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......d=111940

Thanks
Mark Stevens

Quote:
On 2010-09-10 13:58, jmcgrath wrote:
I've just been over in Houston for a week on business and I have been looking in every pharmacy that I pass for Chamberlins and I've had no luck what so ever. While lamenting this lack of Chamberlins with Scott Wells one night he reminded me that John Carney recommends Vagisal.

So I ended up getting the following:
Corn Huskers - this helped moisturise, but never left any appreciable 'tack'
Glycerine - this seemed to work better than corn huskers and left a nice tack
Vagisal - (boy do you get weired looks in Walmart buying that stuff) a great moisturiser, but never left any tack.

One thing that I did find out though was that having my hands 'tackier' or even just better moisturises changes several of the grips that I have to use. I find it very difficult to bottom deal cards with my hands like this, and even second dealing was pretty tricky.

It didn't seem to do much at all however to my coin work though. I'll take that as a good thing though.

Regards,

John
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
I got the 'New Fragrance, Travel Size' from Joe Stevens. I hardly notice any fragrance (much more subtle than before). The size, atomizer, and plastic that-looks-like-glass container are winners.
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
Tonylew
View Profile
Regular user
Tracy, CA
184 Posts

Profile of Tonylew
If you go here http://www.vitanherbs.com/bath-beauty-1/......ize.html You can get the travel size for $1.49 a bottle with $4.99 postage for any size order.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4740 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Thanks man! Looks GOOD! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
acortest
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of acortest
Just FYI, Chamberlains Golden Touch Lotion has been rebranded as Chamberlains After Bath Splash. I haven't bought or used any of the new/re-branded Chamberlain's but in the ad copy quote "Chamberlain Original lotion has been renamed/rebranded as "After Bath Splash" Chamberlain Golden Touch Lotion: Pour, spray, or smooth Golden Touch Lotion on your skin and immediately feel the luxurious, silky golden liquid transform rough, chapped skin into soft, supple and touchable skin once again without leaving any residue."

I would feel confident buying it. If anyone buys the new 'After Bath Splash, please let us know if it is indeed the same product.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
918 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I just purchased 5 bottles of the Travel size golden touch lotion from here: http://www.vitanherbs.com/bath-beauty/lo......urer=134 for 1.49 each plus flat rate shipping of 5.00.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4740 Posts

I found some Little I OZ. Spray Bottles At the Container Store Here in Denver ! Smile There like 2 for $ 1.99 And there Just the right size to carry in your pocket! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3975 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I've know of a number of things that work well with cards. I've got a couple of things that work perfectly with coins.

But - I have yet to find something that works with both. This is likely due to my skin, as it is incredibly dry and smooth. I cannot classic palm a half- or dollar- coin due to this (and no, this is not due to lack of practice Smile ). Untreated, my skin is so dry that I have difficulty running cards off the top of a deck with my thumb!

I ordered some Chamberlain's (spray bottle version) today, and look forward to seeing how it works.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4740 Posts

Hay man It has always Worked well for me with both Cards and coins! And also non-card and coin stuff!!! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6782 Posts

Profile of bowers
It also helps me with my rope magic too.
A very good product.
Todd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Singing the Praises of Chamberlain's Lotion (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL