The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Top 5 Cups (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
I only have 2 sets , both of which I like.

Cheap copper Empire's

and

RnT II Surgical steel brushed Monti's
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-10-14 23:34, cns wrote:
Please don't take this as any form of dis-respect, but, Mr. Bill Palmer, I'm new here, and as I read various posts, you chime in on many, very good information is added, but, I'm just wondering, who are you, what is your background etc. etc. As I said I'm new but .... others that may be aware of who you are are in the "Circle", let the rest of us in, Just because you have 24 hour a day to post, makes you a guru, is it true? yes or know will suffice. thanks in advance, an admirerer, spelling is not my virtue.

No.

PM'ed you.

Posted: Oct 15, 2009 2:03am
One set that is really good is the Foxy II.V by RnT II.

In a recent test, that set of cups displayed balls very well and it holds a tennis ball as a final load. The weight of the copper cups is also quite good.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
CNS, all you have to do is to look at Bill's signature, there's enough information there to form your own opinion after you have visited his site(if you have not already, judging by the comment "Just because you have 24 hour a day to post, makes you a guru, is it true?")
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1072 Posts

Profile of BCS
As far as being too hung up on Cups… It is really no different than other hobbies I am into. In the audiophile world these same conversations go on about interconnects, speaker cables, phono cartridges, speakers and such… and can be more costly then Cups.

Take care,
Bruce
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I don't have enough experience to determine which is my favorite cup, but for now I am working with my Mendoza cups from RNT-2 that I like very much.

I have never touch a set of Sherwood cups and would not have a clue to how they handle, but one day I would like to own a set. Maybe next year I will buy if they still have them in stock.
ScHeRzO
View Profile
New user
Ecuador
63 Posts

Profile of ScHeRzO
Quote:
On 2009-10-15 02:03, Bill Palmer wrote:
One set that is really good is the Foxy II.V by RnT II.

In a recent test, that set of cups displayed balls very well and it holds a tennis ball as a final load. The weight of the copper cups is also quite good.

Thanks Bill, I will check it up in the museum.

Scherzo

Posted: Oct 15, 2009 11:07am
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and opinions they have been very usefull for someone about to enter in this huge universe of cups and balls.

Greetings
Scherzo
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I know that the timing of my posts here and there make it appear that I do nothing but sit in front of a computer all day long. Actually, I spend far less time at the screen than might be imagined.

I turn on my computer network when I am having breakfast, sometime between 10 AM and 11 AM. After breakfast, I check my e-mail and drop by the Café. I'm usually done in 30 minutes, then I head off to the Post Office, run my errands and watch whatever I have on my DVR.

I check my e-mails again in the late afternoon, and make the rounds of the Café. Then I come back again after the 10:00 news.

It all depends on what it is interesting!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
What??? Ypu don't play music anymore Bill? That would be terrible my friend! Pick up the old banjo!

Take care Bill and see you soon!

Mabuhay from Manila!

Rannie

PS thanks for everything my friend!
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I still play the banjo, too!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1298 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Hmmm...top 5 cups I like.

#1 Sherwoods...all of them.
They have the right weight and feel, and I enjoy performing with them.

#2 Riser Jumbo Cups
They take a baseball and have a great weight and classic look to them.

#3 Original R-N-T Brass Monti Cups (Church Bronze to You collectors)
I like the weight and feel, and they have a coating on them that keeps them shiny. I have used those cups for 12 - 13 yrs now. They hold three suede 1 inch balls on the top stacked, and mine were custom spun for me. Only two sets like it ever made that I know of. I sold my backup set years ago.

#4 Sisti Pro Cups in Steel.
Great weight, though a little on the smaller side. I enjoy practicing with them, but due to them rusting have only performed with them once. That problem is getting fixed well, and I will be using them a lot more from now on.

#5 Johnson Products Cups
They are consistent, they are pretty and, again, are balanced well. I enjoyed performing with my JP cups up until I got my Sherwoods. They again are a little on the smaller side, but are great cups for the money.

Cups I like, but have sold or traded:
Paul Fox cups
I liked my Paul Fox cups, but was looking for something to take a bigger load. They performed well, but felt a little on the light side to me. I have handled the new Paul Fox cups from RNT2, and they have a better weight than I remembered and are very, very nice.

Foxy 2.5's
Not a bad cups in any way. I liked 'em, just not enough to keep 'em.

Auke Van D cups
I handled a number of sets and liked the feel of them, as well. They were expertly made and always consistent. Good, durable cup.

Busby Paul Fox Cups in Steel Chromed or Stainless Steel (heavy)
A friend owns a set of these that he used for a long time. When we sessioned 15yrs ago, he used to let me use them. They are heavy, durable and very nice cups, too. Easy to use and actually helped me get a few moves down pat faster than the RNT Monti cups.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's interesting about the "church bronze" Monti cups. Mike Brazill claimed that he didn't make any brass cups. The number of sets of "church bronze" Monti cups varied each time I heard the story about them. Sometimes there were six sets, other times there were 10 sets. And sometimes, there were two.

Adding to the confusion over this was the lack of clear records of production. I purchased what was supposed to be the archives of Rings and Things from Mike four years ago, but somehow the production figures weren't included in the price.

Another confusing factor in this is the different bronze and brass alloys, themselves. It used to be easy to tell brass from bronze. Brass was yellow; bronze was red. Brass was principally copper and zinc; bronze was principally copper and tin. These days, you can find brass and bronze in just about any color from white to purple, all depending on the trace metals that are added to the mix. Turkish cymbals, which look like brass, are made of a metal that their makers insist is bronze.

I've run across this same situation in my other occupation -- banjo setup. Most professional level banjos have a part called a "tone ring" that is made of a yellow bronze alloy. Usually this alloy has about 75% copper, a few percent of tin, a few percent of zinc and the rest is lead, which is added to make the metal easier to machine. This stuff looks like brass, but it doesn't sound like a traditional brass at all. Sometimes, the makers of these rings call the material "bell bronze," which it really isn't; sometimes they call it "trolley brass," which is one of those really nebulous terms. And sometimes, they call it "trolley bronze."

So when I list a cup in my collection, I call it by whatever the manufacturer called it -- even if it does look like brass. It simplifies things, especially when you consider that there are over 2000 different alloys that are called either brass or bronze.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1298 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
The box and invoice say Brass.
When I originally ordered them, they were called Church Bronze Monti Cups.
The box they came in says RNT Monti Cups brass.
The set I have were made special for me because I needed a set that could hold three 1 inch balls on the saddle.
They were made for the Garcia routine.
The bead was made just a bit higher than the other sets to accommodate this feature.
The Suede balls made by Mike Rogers were my balls of choice for these cups, and that was what was used as my standard. His regular Baseballs are just slightly bigger than these and will not fit as comfortably on the saddle.

No big deal.
Mike
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I wonder if those cups are the same as my "long skirt" "church bronze" Monti cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

cns
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of cns
Hello again,
I must thank Mr. Palmer for a very appreciated and excellent response to my question. The posters on the Café really have a wealth of credible information from this amazing man!! As I am now aware of this, I find it unfortunate that others may not realize and truly appreciate the wealth of information Mr. Palmer can and is sharing.
Again, thank you, Mr. Palmer, for taking the time to PM me and share that information. Your response was far more than I ever expected, and I do appreciate the time you took to respond. You are a truly amazing individual!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Thank you for your kind words.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Bill is just awesome. Period.

My top five:

#1 - Sherwood Smooth Coppers - There's just something about a Sherwood...

#2 - JP Brass - Love the shape of these cups. Wish they were a bit larger.

#3 - JP Coppers - Heavier than the brass and just beautiful.

#4 - RNT2 Mendoza Copper Combos - Nice weight and feel.

#5 - Charlie Millers - Little Magical Tanks.

Now that the New RNT2 is open, I think my next set will be the Foxy 2.5 smooth coppers.
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Thanks, dcjames. Finally, someone included the RNT2 Mendoza Copper Combos. I like 'em a lot.
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of tdowell
1. Sherwood Engraved Silver Cups - Stunningly beautiful and no plating to chip off. Will last a lifetime.

2. RNT2 Paul Fox Sterling Silver Cups with .70 micron gold interior. Gorgeous.

3. RNT2 Mini Paul Fox Sterling Silver Cups. Pure .925 Argentium Silver. Nuff said.

4. RNT2 Princess I Cups in Copper. One of six sets made. Better than type II.

5. RNT2 Mendoza Copper Combos. Best combo set made period. All around workhorse.
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
My five favourites (tough choice):

1. Sherwood smooth sterling silver with gold wash interior (#8 of 10)
2. Paul Fox chrome over copper
3. P&L chrome over copper
4. Burtini nickel-plated
5. Riser standard-sized copper
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2111 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2009, Pete Biro wrote:
Nice to see ahumada, that you like two of the cups I produced.

Yes, these were Petes creation. The reason they were triple plated , 1 the brightness of the chrome and 2 they gained little bit more
weight on them. I never made Galli cups. Pete had a great design there.

Mad Jake
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Top 5 Cups (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL