The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Top 5 Cups (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
The opinions of all these guys is great. But to address the question of the original poster, rating cups, I'm sorry, is really a silly question to ask. I mean seriously, its good to think of these things. But asking other guys opinions of their favorite cups is so vague you will never get a solid answer for YOU. because this is what its about, YOU. now, if you were strictly a stage performer and you asked a stage magician his favorite cup, you might be on to something. if you are a street guy and you ask another street guy his best cup, you might be on to something. but even then, if you ask a pro of 30 years his best cup, and you've only learned about cups and balls, you wont lean anything! here is the best advice I can give: buy a cheap set and learn your routine on it. than after a year of perfect performances see what you think you need and buy accordingly. a heavier cup, smaller cup, bigger cup, wooden or metal cup or what have you.

you can apply this bit of advice to any classic prop of magic.
Magic Pierre
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Magic Pierre
I just spent weeks going through posts like this and also picking people's minds, like Bill Palmer's, and finally got the RNTII Paul Fox cups in copper, which are gorgeous. In fact, given my current skill level, they are far more than what some people woould think I need. But one of the more sensible things that got said to me by a couple of people I talked to is this: if you have a truly beautiful "instrument" (and your cups are like a musical instrument) you are much more likely to enjoy handling them, playing with them and practicing with them. I started with a fairly cheap set of brass cups and I rarely played with them. If a day goes by that I don't take out the PF cups and do a little practice I get itchy, so this has proved out to be true.

So based on my experience, it is certainly NOT a bad idea to find some nice cups you will enjoy working with right up front, and if you have to drop a little coin on them, then consider it an investment.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1055 Posts

Profile of Leo H
About a decade ago, Jim Riser mentioned that we were in a cups Renaissance, and that it wasn't going to last indefinitely. It seems the Renaissance hasn't expired just yet. We are still lucky to have Brett Sherwood and Donnie cranking them out, along with Johnson, a revived Morrissey, and Michael Lee's street cups. And there are others such as Van Dokkum who crank them out now and then, along with the Porper cups. Now is the time to get a nice set of cups, if finances allow.
padre rich
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of padre rich
1. Morrissey Minis- heavier than modern Morrissey. My go to set. Al Schneider uses a set of these.
2. Gary Animal Mega Thick Loves in copper. Great for a tennisball load.
3. Gary Animal "Small Top Animals"- The cups that I used on the Street.
4. PF/DD in brass - Only two cups. Bought them from Ron Alessi. These have seen a lot of use. Definitely "Road Warriors".
5. Smooth Copper Sherwoods- The only set in my top 5 that I no longer own- I do regret trading these. Tempted to get another set.
I have owned over 200 sets but now only about a dozen and a half. I still have a few sets to trade in there's any interest.
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Has Morrissey re-opened or changed hands? I thought they closed a couple of years ago.

Quote:
On Sep 10, 2015, Leo H wrote:
a revived Morrissey.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4844 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
The three cups I use the most are:
Johnson Brass Cups
Owen Magic Supreme Copper Cups
Sherwood Solid Silver Engraved Cups

Smile
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1055 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2015, Bill Palmer wrote:
Has Morrissey re-opened or changed hands? I thought they closed a couple of years ago.

Quote:
a revived Morrissey.

Spectram Magic Inc. Here is a quote from their ad in the back of the August 2014 issue of Magic Magazine:

Spectram Magic Inc. is proud to announce that we are now the official manufacturer of all Morrissey Magic metal products.

http://www.spectram.com/vas/
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13365 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The JP Brass cups are "ok" but a bit of a disappointment.
They are just too small to handle a descent sized load and too small to handle 3 in the attic with a descent size ball.
Brass is nice if you don't mind polishing cups constantly but I love the patina of a copper cup. Beautiful and no work.

Those factors are too important to ignore.

Otherwise, JP are great cups! But at the current price? No way.

I got rid of my JP cups ... and all my other cups once I got a set of Sherwoods.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1055 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Dec 25, 2015, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:I got rid of my JP cups ... and all my other cups once I got a set of Sherwoods.

On the subject of the Brett Sherwood cups, an engraved silver set is up for bid on the Martinka auction for a whopping $1,874.00 plus the 15% buyer's fee:

http://www.martinka.com/martinka/auction......ID=23950
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1078 Posts

Profile of taller8
Another vote for Sherwoods.

Great weight.
Just the right size for a tennis ball load
Sherwood uses a rubber ball making for silent loading.
So much thought went into all aspects of a Sherwood set.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1055 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2015, taller8 wrote:
Another vote for Sherwoods.

Great weight.
Just the right size for a tennis ball load
Sherwood uses a rubber ball making for silent loading.
So much thought went into all aspects of a Sherwood set.

Do you mean a rubber core for the 1 and 1/8 crochet balls? Sherwood's final loads are extremely light. By the way, that set of silver engraved Sherwood cups sold on that Martinka auction for $2,224.00 plus the 15% buyer's fee. Oh my...
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
#1> Auke Van Dokkum Jumbo Stainless Steel Cups. These cups are simply STUNNING, in their look and handling.
#2> RnT2 Copper Satin Mendoza Combo Cups. In my opinion, the best combo cups ever made. The right weight, and the right size.
#3> Hallmarked Copper Paul Fox Cups, by Busby. What can I say about these cups that hasn't allready been said.
#4> Charlie Miller Copper Cups. They take a licking, and keep on ticking. And.....they're great with sponge balls....
#5> Johnson Brass Cups. I got a set from Hank Lee at his shop in Boston the moment they came through the door. I do wish they were a tad bit bigger.
karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
496 Posts

Profile of karnak
Does Michael Ammar's "fab fruit" (final loads) fit Johnson cups?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1055 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2016, karnak wrote:

I think so because at one point Ammar sold both items via his website. If the Fab Fruit did not fit in the Johnson Cups, I doubt he would have pitched both simultaneously.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2103 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
About a decade ago, Jim Riser mentioned that we were in a cups Renaissance, and that it wasn't going to last indefinitely. It seems the Renaissance hasn't expired just yet. We are still lucky to have Brett Sherwood and Donnie cranking them out, along with Johnson, a revived Morrissey, and Michael Lee's street cups. And there are others such as Van Dokkum who crank them out now and then, along with the Porper cups. Now is the time to get a nice set of cups, if finances allow.

Jake Jr. will be brining back limited run cups and custom cups that customers would like to see. Also, he will be doing some other magical work. The Golden Age of cups will be in production in the very close future.

Mad Jake Sr.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1055 Posts

Profile of Leo H
That's good news and a confirmation that the Cups Renaissance is alive and well. Several sets of genuine PF/DD cups recently sold on the big auction site for over $1,000.00 to $1,275.00 for each set. I wonder if that was an isolated incident or a preview of higher prices to come for this his type of cup.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1298 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
What is the website for you guys Jake?
Mad Jake Jr.
View Profile
New user
Willis Warf, Va.
25 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake Jr.
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2016, Mobius303 wrote:
What is the website for you guys Jake?

The website is in contraction and probably be till late Summer. My dad an I wa working out out wok the Chevron oil rig in
the Gulf doing some underwater wellding an repair. Cups & other magic is not a priority on a drill bit.

I was on the James Riser page his little cronies ha already casting assertions again me. Magic again will not bel only some
work. Thank you for asking.

Sincerely,
Jake Jr.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Interesting! They don't seem to have very much of the old line of cups in stock. I wonder who is actually doing their spinning for them. Richard Olson, who was their spinner in the past, retired a few years ago. I have a feeling that what we are seeing on this site is the remainder of the products that Morrissey made.

Quote:
On Dec 24, 2015, Leo H wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2015, Bill Palmer wrote:

Quote:
a revived Morrissey.

Spectram Magic Inc. Here is a quote from their ad in the back of the August 2014 issue of Magic Magazine:

Spectram Magic Inc. is proud to announce that we are now the official manufacturer of all Morrissey Magic metal products.

http://www.spectram.com/vas/
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes. At least the Fab Fruit items I have in my collection will fit the Johnson Cups.

Quote:
On Jan 8, 2016, karnak wrote:
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Top 5 Cups (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL