The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Ebay observations (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1836 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I think the first listing (for the Die Box) says too much IMO, but I doubt that the casual eBay surfer would understand the lingo enough to really grasp the effect. The photo is not a blatant exposure photo. Still, he could have advertised the thing without any discussion of the mechanics.

The second item (the Owen Zombie Ball) seems to me is displayed in such a way that someone looking at the photo would not understand what they were looking at unless they already knew the secret to begin with.

I too checked out several of Pasta Magic's current auctions and overall it seems like the effects currently being auctioned are not exposed either in description or in photos. Let's hope that is a good sign.

In the meantime, I think it is a good overall policy to e-mail any eBay seller who is exposing with careless photos or text and tell them that you would only bid on their item if they revise the listing so that the text and/or photos do not reveal the secret of the effect.
daaaave
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of daaaave
I've bought and sold a lot of magic stuff on eBay. I once got a free copy of MindBender and sold it on eBay for over AU $50 + postage - even though I had told him that it only sells for $40 in shops!
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
It's been over 3 years ago, but a belated thank you, Thimblerig, for your kind words about my auction descriptions.
MajesticWizard
View Profile
New user
Lakewood, WA - USA
57 Posts

Profile of MajesticWizard
Hello,

I recently made a magic purchase on Ebay, and had a good experience with it. I am also an Ebay seller, and try very hard to be fair in my business practices. When buying, I am even more picky, and tend to shop for price, seller rating, product quality and description, etc.

I will admit that Ebay is not without its problems, and sometimes patience in buying from that site is a absolute must. On the whole, a savy shopper can usually find good deals.

As to sniping, I've been known to do it...but its rare. If the price of the item is above what I want to pay (usually more than half of any full retail price to include S/H - after shopping to discover the full retail price), then I won't bid on it.

Example: "Product XYZ" at full retail is $150.00 . Now, for me to purchse this item, the total price would have to be $120 or less (to include S/H). If the S/H cost is not posted, I won't buy it. I place a max bid which is normally precalculated to include the S/H...so it works to my buying interests. This often takes a little research, especially if I know what company makes the product.

Any, just thought I'd share.
- Shawn

"Explore your world, its waiting for you".
Airborne Ranger
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Airborne Ranger
I've been using eBay since the site first went online. I have had only one bad experience and that was buying software. I purchased three copies of MS Project 2000 and when the discs arrived I found out they were copies. Perfect silkscreen but the discs were obviously burned and not pressed.

I have done well over 1000 transactions and only one problem. Not bad in my book.
MajesticWizard
View Profile
New user
Lakewood, WA - USA
57 Posts

Profile of MajesticWizard
Ok...I know I screwed up here. I meant to say no more than $75.00, to include S/H in this example. I feel like I am printing a retraction in newspaper article...lol.

Quote:
On 2005-08-10 00:38, MajesticWizard wrote:

<<MESSAGE EDITED>>

Example: "Product XYZ" at full retail is $150.00 . Now, for me to purchse this item, the total price would have to be $120 or less (to include S/H). If the S/H cost is not posted, I won't buy it. I place a max bid which is normally precalculated to include the S/H...so it works to my buying interests. This often takes a little research, especially if I know what company makes the product.

- Shawn

"Explore your world, its waiting for you".
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I've purchased a lot of stuff on eBay. I've sold a lot of stuff, too. I've never gotten burned, because I'm very careful. The closest I came to being stung was once when I auctioned off an octave mandolin. The original "winner" refused to contact me about sending the money. So I re-listed and got more for it the second time. Not only that, the purchaser was the kind of person who would give it a good home.

It's kind of fun in a strange way.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Royce K.
View Profile
New user
London
89 Posts

Profile of Royce K.
Sadly, there is software available to automate the 'sniping' process which is discussed above.

I witnessed one auction earlier this week where 2 competing bidders were obviously both using the software and the item finally went for over 100 times the amount it had been with 8 minutes of the auction left!

Crazy as a soup sandwich...
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
674 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
I've bought quite a bit off of E-bay and up to now have only been ripped off once. I bought some gaffed cocktail shakers for $25 (I'm glad it was only $25), sent off my check, it was cashed, and I waited. Not hearing anything I tried to e-mail, call, and snail mail numerous times to find out what was happening with no response. Then I noted the negative feedback start pouring in on the seller and he withdrew from E-bay. Again, it was lucky it was for $25 as I have spent over $500 on a single purchase. So if any of you know a Brian Ward who maintained a P.O. box in Mary Esther, Florida, be aware he is a crook.
amerkle
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of amerkle
As for sniping.....is it really unfair? I don't think so, and here is why. When in an online auction, you are supposed to bid the MAXIMUM amount that you are willing to pay for the item. If you do this, it won't matter if someone bids at the last minute or outbids you from the beginning. Either way, the price of the item is more than you were willing to pay.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Quote:
On 2002-04-12 21:39, Mitch wrote:
And finally, on sniping. Unfortunately I have found that this is almost the only way to win an auction for me. Put in your max bid before the end of the auction and you can be sure that someone will always bid more than you. Unless of course you put in an outrageously high bid...in which case you are gonna overpay! I have sniped and won and sniped and lost and sometimes just waited there to go in for the snipe and saw the price jump up above my max and just watched it end. That is the "magic" of ebay - it is unpredictable because there are so many human elements involved.

That is also my experience....

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
sayer
View Profile
New user
Czech Republic
64 Posts

Profile of sayer
Quote:
On 2005-08-19 05:35, calexa wrote:
Quote:
On 2002-04-12 21:39, Mitch wrote:
And finally, on sniping. Unfortunately I have found that this is almost the only way to win an auction for me. Put in your max bid before the end of the auction and you can be sure that someone will always bid more than you. Unless of course you put in an outrageously high bid...in which case you are gonna overpay! I have sniped and won and sniped and lost and sometimes just waited there to go in for the snipe and saw the price jump up above my max and just watched it end. That is the "magic" of ebay - it is unpredictable because there are so many human elements involved.

That is also my experience....

Magixx

Even my experience.
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
Quote:
On 2005-08-17 09:55, amerkle wrote:
As for sniping.....is it really unfair? I don't think so, and here is why. When in an online auction, you are supposed to bid the MAXIMUM amount that you are willing to pay for the item. If you do this, it won't matter if someone bids at the last minute or outbids you from the beginning. Either way, the price of the item is more than you were willing to pay.

Sniping is my way to control myself. I set a snipe and walk away. I'm never tempted to bid "just another $5" etc. Electronically imposed self restraint, I guess.

sam
Drs_Res
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Drs_Res
My best manual snipe was 3 seconds. I still want to get that 1 second snipe in one day.
( / ) The Bunny
(O.o) Add him to your signature.
(> <) Help him rule the world.
/_||_ Prosper at his side.

Scott
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
I don't do too many snipes.

Even without the snipes I've had plenty of bargains on ebay.

Things like

Houdini Video "Man From Beyond" 99p

20 close-up and card tricks worth £200 , got it for £15 Smile

A vintage money printer £1

Ching Soo Fire Cracker £2

Viking Bill Tube £2

Pom Pom Prayer Stick (Kovari) £5

and many more.....

Think diffrent than others. don't go after what rest of the world wants.

I've yet to buy those houdini autographs that go for $25 or so Smile Smile

:kewl:
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't want what the rest of the world wants.

But the rest of the world seems to want what I want.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Ebay observations (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL