The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Paul Harris Videos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ChrisMagic52
View Profile
Loyal user
North Vancouver, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of ChrisMagic52
Is buying the Paul Harris Video set (Stars of Magic) like buying all the good tricks from the AOA books Smile
cyc
View Profile
New user
Montreal
57 Posts

Profile of cyc
Hi,

I don't' own the video set; however, I've heard that the videos aren't really that good compared with the AOA series. So, I guess you're better off with the books.
Rcitgo
View Profile
Special user
Emporia,Va.
738 Posts

Profile of Rcitgo
Most of the effects on the tapes are in the AOA books. I have all his tapes and all three AOA books. I bought his tapes for $69.95 each when they first came out and they remain some of my favorite. Smile
ChrisMagic52
View Profile
Loyal user
North Vancouver, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of ChrisMagic52
I think buying all the Paul Harris videos instead of the AOA books is better for ME because I'm more of a visual learner. And almost all of the great effects in the AOA books are explained on the Paul Harris videos. I'm going to buy the videos instead of the books. Smile
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
You're missing out on what's in the books, Chris. Videos are nothing but devices for you to imitate. You don't want to be Paul Harris' twin, you want to be you!!! You don't want to imitate, you want to learn and do the effects your own way. Books deprive you of a visual aid aside from pictures and allow your mind to be that visual aid. That way, you influence what you learn.

You are missing out on all the extras in the AOA books...more effects than the videos, more essays, more humor, and just more in general. Oh, did I mention that you get MORE for your money too? I hope you take this advice.

I'll leave you with my one of my favorite quotes from one of the smartest magicians ever to come into this world....

-Andrew

"Desire and perseverance are fundamental ingredients in your training. I often hear people say, 'I don't learn well from books. Won't you just show me?" or "Can you recommend a good video?" In our fast-paced video-microwave culture, we want it, and we want it now! The vacuous results are disposable music, fast-food art, and paint-by-number magic. Communications professor Neil Postman argues in his book, 'Amusing Ourselves to Death,' that what we gain from video instruction is essentially only convenience and entertainment. What is lost is the more complete comprehension provided by the contemplation of the printed word. The discoveries in the course of the lesson are as important as the lesson itself. As the Chinese say, 'Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.' Videos may assist in learning, but by NO MEANS should they be your first choice. They provide only a model for imitation, and require little interpretation or imagination from the student."

-John Carney, Carneycopia 1991
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
Zap
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Zap
The books have WAY more effects, and hence are a better value. The videos are really great though, and give a good idea of what the tricks look like.

With Paul Harris, it helps to see some of his effects because they can read bizarre (i.e., Vacuum Cleaner Cards, Bizarre Twist, Bleached).

Also, it's a hoot watching Paul Harris. He has a real dry sense of humor that I really enjoy on the video.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
The videos don't even come close. The have not a fraction the amount of material that's in the AOA books. You'll be missing out on the majority of effects that are in the books, and you'll miss out on Paul's HILARIOUS writing. I strongly recommend the books over the videos. It's not in any way a snooty "books are better than videos" thing, the books are just of greater value. Period.

Oh, and the "I'm a visual learner" thing a lot of magi use to justify depriving themselves or great literature is a tired excuse. You can learn anything from anything if you put your mind to it.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
nelly
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of nelly
Quote:
On 2003-06-11 13:44, Paul wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-06-11 07:36, nelly wrote:
I just bought the Mark Mason videos and he has a good card in mouth stunt. He actually performed it for me and I totally fell for it.

What has this have to do with the original query??????

Paul

I'm sure I posted that in the card on forehead thread! Smile
FZandura
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
247 Posts

Profile of FZandura
Andrew, you hit the nail on the head. I think videos are great when you are starting out and learning sleights and handlings, but should never become your primary source of education. I have yet to get the AOA books, but they are very high on my wish list.
Smile
F. Zandura
jpecore
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of jpecore
If you only get the videos, I think you will be missing a lot that is only in the books.

But if someone has the books, I would recommend getting the videos to supplement them.
eltsac
View Profile
New user
Singapore
5 Posts

Profile of eltsac
Hi guys,

I wonder where can I get all of the video series on the net...or which dealer.

Thanks.
ShizNick
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of ShizNick
Penguin Magic and Magic Pro Shop have them.
Check them out first.
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
The videos are not that bad. They show you an idea of what the effects look like. I personally own both. The books definitely have way more material but the videos give you a kick start in learning a few routines. Smile
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Of course, the quote from John Carney is just another opinion the contents of which I personally only agree in part.

I think it may generally be said that books as a medium provide more information and can spend more time on the subtle details (witness the descriptions in Card College) of sleights and effects than can be squeezed onto an affordable DVD or video. This makes them an extremely valuable resource.

However, I've seen a number of comments throughout the Café which make the assumption that if someone says they are a visual learner that they are either not prepared to put in the effort of learning from a book or will become clones of the magician presenting the video.

Well, I know this is off topic, but I'd just like to put across my own point of view. I like books. I own quite a few. I enjoy reading them. I particularly like AOA1 because of Paul Harris' sense of humor. But do I find them easier to comprehend than videos. No. Sometimes I am unable to fathom the explanations that I see before me. Am I trying to emulate the practioners on the video? No. I use the videos to understand the mechanics of the sleights.

Descriptive text can often only approximate to the precise movements that are needed and it requires a great deal of skill to put such descriptions across well. My mind does not work well with words - especially sentences which are long. (I also "talk" with my hands).

Books and videos each have their place. For me, books are there to add the detail to what I gain from videos. The "tired excuse" comment assumes a lot about those to whom it is directed. I'm in magic for the fun of it. I have no excuses to make.

Chris - let us know how you get on with the videos as I have no idea what they are like.

Cheers,

Beetroot
bumbleface
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of bumbleface
Get the books! Smile
Rcitgo
View Profile
Special user
Emporia,Va.
738 Posts

Profile of Rcitgo
Yes get the books first but later be sure to get the tapes.You won't be sorry. Smile
Palle
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Palle
Andrew wrote:
"Videos are nothing but devices for you to imitate. You don't want to be Paul Harris' twin, you want to be you!!! You don't want to imitate, you want to learn and do the effects your own way."

This statement is like saying that an actor should never go to the movies or theater, a dancer never go to the ballet, a musician never listen to music, and so on. And it will be a sad day when we magicians could not go to another lecture ever again in fear of imitating what is presented.

Come on, just because you learn from a video doesn't mean that you become a "clone". Let the people learn the best way they can and hope they have enough smarts to stay "themselves" so to speak.

I have seen quite a number of magicians that could improve there presentations by getting some ideas and inspirations from seeing a magic video here and there. I know I am one of them.

Sorry, just my $.02.

Respectfully,
palle...
Attilio
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto Canada
136 Posts

Profile of Attilio
I prefer the the books, but watching Paul trying out pickup lines on women in his videos is always great for a laugh
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I have all 7 Paul Harris videos, and the only one I was not totally satisfied with was the AOA video. Still, I would highly recommend all of his videos in this case, so you can witness the master in action. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
japanjazzy
View Profile
Regular user
Crestview, Florida
139 Posts

Profile of japanjazzy
Beetroot and Palle have said something important. Maybe some of you have missed something that many teachers in school have known for years. Not everyone learns in the same manor. Some people have a hard time getting things out of the printed versions. Some pick it up right away. Yes, some people will copy "clone" the people from the videos that the watch. But some people also copy the patter from a book line by line. If you look at the original question he is just asking if you are getting a small part of the books by buying the videos. Yes it seems that there is not as much in the videos as in the book. But if that is the way you learn better then go for it.
Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Paul Harris Videos (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL