The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Show me a trick? Now what.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bill Blagg III
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Bill Blagg III
We've all been there. Out with friends, associates, etc. and someone comes up and says, "show me a trick!" What is the #1 piece you carry on you at all times to knock their socks off. M-80's don't count! Seriously....if you could only do 1 piece for them and this was your shot...what would you do?!
Irfaan Kahan
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of Irfaan Kahan
I do a little "one in the hand, two in the pocket" / Spellbound coin routine of mine. Simple, Fast, mildly confusing yet magical.

Gets a laugh, anyway.
I'm a Magician playing the part of an Actor
magicbobc
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of magicbobc
Well you should know what to do. Remember we are always a step ahead or two! And I like to keep the spectators wanting to see more, then I just give them my business card.
BobC
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
749 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
Lucky for me I always have my iPhone Smile
http://www.mojosoftwareonline.com
Bill Blagg III
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Bill Blagg III
BobC....I think you missed the question. I'm not asking b/c I need to know what to do. I was just curious what other people out there are doing.
mysto59
View Profile
Loyal user
Bethalto, Illinois
264 Posts

Profile of mysto59
I always carry sponge balls with me so when someone asks to see something I do a quick routine for them. For some reason people seem to like sponge ball magic.
It's not the size of the wand that matters, it's the "magic" in it...
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I prefer to use some 'found' object first before I use something strnage dug from my pocket. Part of the decsion is whether all spectators know you as a magcician. If they do not then you must create a sense of magic first. For a single spectator you may wish to recall what you did the last time.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
matt-g
View Profile
New user
Essex. England
79 Posts

Profile of matt-g
I always have my assasin wallet so it's a quick bit of mind-trickery that's powerfull enough to leave a lasting impression and my card!
jimsanto
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of jimsanto
Color Changing Knifes, I use knives that look like I would really be carring them with me, so not only can I do a very magically strong effect but it looks like I'm using an everyday object.

Otherwise I'll use rubber bands, cocktail napkins (yes I spend a lot of time in bars), borrowered coins, salt shaker through table, etc; whatever is handy. The 2 in the hand 1 in the pocket concept is also something I use quite a bit.
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
As of late, I have been performing Hung, Drwan, & Quatered by Mark Mason and I am getting GREAT Reactions. Instant Reset and you are ready to go. I always carry this with me and I perform this when out fo the blue some one asks me to perform an effect.

RJ
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Gregory Wilson's "A Questionable Trick" which uses common coins.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Meir Yedid's Finger Fantasy - I always have my fingers on hand...
And a coin purse with 3 Morgan dollars and a [
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I agree with funsway, it is better if it looks really impromptu. So, I will usually opt for torn and restored napkin, some paper money magic if they have any bills, "Seven" or one of the other mentalism effects...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I do Glass thru Table using a Houdini coin.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2009-10-14 00:44, Bill Blagg III wrote:
We've all been there. Out with friends, associates, etc. and someone comes up and says, "show me a trick!" What is the #1 piece you carry on you at all times to knock their socks off. M-80's don't count! Seriously....if you could only do 1 piece for them and this was your shot...what would you do?!

I just do the raven Smile Knocks 'em dead.
rockthemike
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
695 Posts

Profile of rockthemike
Biddle Trick

One of the best impromptu card tricks IMO. There's just no way it could ever work to a layman.
Michael Wong
Wizard
http://michaelwong.says.so
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
When someone asks me to do a trick, what I do depends on the person. When I was at a family birthday party recently, people asked me to do a levitation. I was tired of the last 6 hours and I had the feeling that I probably couldn't stay upright let alone perform a Balducci in this situation, so I refused. Besides, the crowd was too large to have good angles.

Usually, I will perform the two-card monte or a quick 2-coin effect I first saw performed by David Penn. Other times I do .44 from Daniel Garcia. I'm trying to expand with a little more effects that don't use cards but still are impromptu.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
I'm with FunSway & Mandarin. Look around and use what's handy. That is unless you are a store bought Magician. If you are no offence meant, you are just a different animal. Last week I went to a friends house I hadn't seen in a while and we were messing around, people started showing up, we're out in the garage and I get the "show us something". A stretch of twine that had wrapped a box, some washers, a paper bag, and a really crappy deck of garage cards turned into 30 min. Magic with found stuff is very powerful.
You know why don't act naive.
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
Also, when I know I'll be in a place with a lot of people gathered -- especially a family occasion -- I try to prepare in advance, so I won't be a like a bunny caught in the headlights. That way I will always have something prepared in case I get the dreaded question...
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Bill

I always have a selection of easy to cary items in my pocket as well as being ready to use an impromptu item if I can. TT & silk, Red Back by Sean Taylor (Packet card trick), Rubber bands and a set of chain links for what I call "Missing Link" but probably has another name (I got that form a Jay Sanky video). I am working on a rising card routine that is done by a trained flea and this impromptu opportunity give a great chance to practice that routine and mention that the flea circus will be functioning in the near future.

Do you have a favorite or 2 yourself?

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Show me a trick? Now what.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL