The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Blooming Rosebush for fifty cents?!? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2009-10-15 09:59, James Alan wrote:
http://www.magicana.com/SidLorraine/Chat......box.html

Too good to be true?

???? Are you just trying to get people to go to the site?
JL608
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of JL608
If he is, I hope it works. What a great site. And what a great story, that anyone who bought magic through the mail in the "old days" can appreciate.

Thanks for posting the link.

Joe
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Of course he is trying to generate traffic. I have been to that site several times...great reading.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
The "Blooming Rose Bush" that is referred to is NOT the famous P&L item which was marketed as "The Flowering Rose Bush" and was known as Petrie's Masterpiece. Although mentioned in the 1939 P&L catalog as the "Blooming Flower Bush" it is not pictured and appears only in the list of "outstanding Petrie Creations" on page 76. It is described in detail on page 3 of the second P&L catalog which was published in 1958. No price is given in either catalog, the 1958 edition stating simply "Price Complete (with carrying case) on application." "The P&L Book" by Barbi Walker and Robert Seaver describes the effect, reproduces an advertisement for it in which the "NEW LOW PRICE, ONLY $195" is given with the notation "delivery in about four weeks." A $100 deposit was required with your order. It is difficult to determine how many were ever made. I was told that there were only 12; however, after meeting with several other owners at the magic collectors' convention held in Arlington, VA in 2006 I have been able to identify the owners of at least 17.

It is one of my most prized possessions. They rarely come up for sale, but when one does it is usually at auction and as I recall they have sold at auction for $3,500 or more. I don't believe you could find anyone who could make one now for any price.
Dick Christian
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
Actually he tries another method here which is kind of neat:
http://www.magicana.com/SidLorraine/Chat......Act.html

Assuming of course, you don't knock over your table!
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Blooming Rosebush for fifty cents?!? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL