The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Best way to approach restaurant managers? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
alexandru.diaconu
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of alexandru.diaconu
I'm a 22-year old magician (doesn't help with the credibility, but hey. it's what I got). I've started to be known in my city, but I'm seriously wondering.

What's the best way to approach the restaurant manager?
Should I go to him with the local newspaper in which I appear, to increase my perceived value?
I would show him a trick, but what if he's not even this responsive?

What happened to me, is that the manager of one restaurant would hurry me, take my card and that's all. He never called.

How to get them excited, to make them recommend me to any weddings, etc.?

Help would be greatly appreciated!
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
I started working restaurants when I was 18, so age really isn't a factor as long as you're professional.

I always go in cold. No calls, no mailings. You need to change your state of mind from magician to sales person. Restaurant managers/owners are very busy people, so get straight to the point. One thing to keep in mind with this approach and why I found it works well, is that this is how other sales reps go in. That restaurant is just part of their territory.

Introduce yourself, tell them who you are and what you can do for them. They are either going to be interested or they are not. If they are asking you questions, they are interested. If they seem like they are on the fence, offer to perform for some customers who are there at that moment. Do 5 minutes and tell the manager to watch the customers reactions.

Occasionally I have performed a free hour as an audition, so they could get a better idea of how the promotion will work in their store.

Some quick tips:

1. Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday are the best days to approach them.
2. Go after lunch between 2pm - 5pm
3. Don't fall in love with a particular restaurant. I would go to about 5 a day until I booked one.
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
COOL... congratulations on your redniess to go to the next level! – Whoo Hoo!

First, I would heartily recommend doing a quick SEARCH right HERE at the Café (at the TOP of all pages) for the topic/subject of restaurants (and related search terms) both here (Tricky Business) as well as in the "Table Hoppers" section and you will find TONS of killer, in depth answers to your question and MORE!

The good news is; here is already more that a complete course worth of information already here... have a look-ski!

You will be delighted with the returns!

Break a leg! (That’s a good thing in performing success lingo! Hehehe!)

…as always;
“Find Your Passion… DO Your Purpose… Make It Profitable!”
…are you ready for your “B.I.G. $uccess rEvolution’!?

I am at your service and in HIS Service,
Deano (Supporting YOU and Your Success!) in Reno
<><
Domino & I were posting at the same time... BRILLIANT Share brother!

Thanks!
Dean
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Major point...never sell them on the idea that you are there to make them money. You'll lose out as soon as they look at their books at the end of the month.

I've been with this one restaurant for a year now (next week!). I sold them on the simple idea that I will create a pleasant and unique dining experience and will help create customer loyalty.

I have done just that.

Customers have told them that they keep coming back to see me and enjoy the food.

Some of the ways I am provide a unique dining experience is that, although I am performing on Kids Eat Free night, I perform for everyone. Even tables that don't have children get entertained. I twist balloons (no one balloon animals, but funky cool hats), face-paint, juggle, perform magic (including the world's only propless foot-twisting illusion), I balance chairs (heavy steal chairs mind you), I will do a straitjacket escape monthly. No other place offers all of this.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Bill,
If you keep them coming back isn't that making them more money than they would get without you?

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Sell them the benefits:

1. cover kitchen delays
2. free giveaways with your restaurant logo
3. keep them entertained while waiting on a table (foyer magic)
4. helps increase new and repeat business
5. promote the magic and their restaurant (cross promotion)
6. definitely show them your press kit
7. be likable, flexible...they are busy people and respect their time given to you...let them know how appreciative you are of their time given...if they don't make the move to set down and talk for a few just ask.

Get Restaurant Magicians Course by DJ Ehlert...it covers everything!!! Have it love it!

Sell them on your experience or at least perceived experience

And please by all means...GET PAID...never do it for free they do not perceive you as a valuable asset if you are free.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Welcome to the Café! Though lot's of good advice has been given so far, you may find the Table Hoppers Section to be full of great info. We're actually discussing something very similar right now over there from another newbie who popped up. Here is that thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=5&22

I have worked as a Restaurant Magician since I was little kid. I've learned what to do and more importantly what NOT to do. Here's my thread on how to book a restaurant.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=5&22

Good luck and hope to see you poking around the table hoppers section...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
alexandru.diaconu
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Oh my god.

Such a plethora of good information.

The Magic Café truly is truly the nicest community of magicians I've ever had the honor to be in...

If I want to study more, what are the best books and maybe dvds on the subject?
Trickychaz mentioned DJ Ehlert, I will certainly look into that.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2009-10-15 22:57, JamesinLA wrote:
Bill,
If you keep them coming back isn't that making them more money than they would get without you?

Jim

Yes, but that's after a long while. What I was talking about was within the first 3 months which is often the proving grounds time. In that time the amount of loyal customer will not show a huge increase. But also, just in case you happen to start just before slow season, you don't want them looking at their books. Again, never sell them on the idea that you will be making them more money (although hopefully you will) because at some point you may fail.

Even now as we are preparing something special next week for my one year, I never mention "making them more money". I said, "...for my one year, let's give the guests something to really remember and appreciate...". I can't lose as I am absolutely able to deliver as opposed to "let's do a special show to get more people in here and make more money" which can fail.

I have never been there to make them money or at least that is not what I offer/promise.

By the way, the restaurant I perform at is also a buffet, which is often very different than a traditional restaurant in terms of performance timing. It's not recommended to perform table-hopping at a buffet due to its nature, but I really make it work.
alexandru.diaconu
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

You mean people are almost always eating or are standing up?
What's special about a 'buffet'?
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2009-10-16 19:06, alexandru.diaconu wrote:
You mean people are almost always eating or are standing up?
What's special about a 'buffet'?

Have you read material on or performed in a buffet situation????

Most performers advise staying away from them. Some performers that do them set up a table somewhere and let people come to them. This is because of people constantly walking, moving, eating. It's a general rule of thumb in restaurant performing not to approach people while eating.

I, however, am able to break those rules with some skillful tact and timing. This is partly due to the way the restaurant I work at is set up.
googoodolls
View Profile
New user
Colorado
71 Posts

Profile of googoodolls
Just out of curiosity can you describe the skills and tactics you do to work performing while they are eating at the buffet? I find it interesting that you can do that and get away with it. I know if people were eating and enjoy themselves they would spend more. However, I do bet that there would be people who would spend money just to see more magic. But there has to be more to this plot? Thanks if you can answer my questions.

sincerely,

Ryan
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
One thing I did was sit one night before my first time performing there and guage the flow and timing of the people. Buffet eaters have very different timing than a regular restaurant.

One of the things I noticed was that one person was always finished eating before the other. Aha! There's an in right there. That person can handle the cards and easily interact with you.

Also since this was a different buffet, people would sit around a huge grill waiting for their buffet dishes to be cooked in front of them. Nothing like a trapped audience Smile

Also, just approaching a table just before or after the server asks them about drinks. Gotta be quick here.

And then there's the bold approaching them while eating. With kids it's easy, because as I approach I am already blowing up a balloon. The kids and parents will welcome this surprise. As you make the balloon creations (I only make hats since they are eating and I don't want balloons crowding the table and knocking things over. These hats also serve as advertising that something fun is happening as you walk in and by other patrons. You can't miss the hats!).

I balance chairs and do the straitjacket escape to include a large number of tables. I basically do my busking routine at times to create a very unique and lively atmosphere.

I always acknowledge people from other tables watching me. I make sure everyone enjoying me feels part of the experience.

These are just a few of the things I do. There is so much more to go into. Some stuff is the same with regular restaurants but other things require that real perfect timing.
googoodolls
View Profile
New user
Colorado
71 Posts

Profile of googoodolls
Thanks for explaining it a little more. I just still find it interesting that a restaurant would be willing to pay for someone to perform while people are eating. In most restaurant books that is definitely a no, no, but its looks like you do a good job at it, So keep up the good work.

sincerely,

Ryan
JeffWampler
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, TN
191 Posts

Profile of JeffWampler
Rightto about approaching restaurants Tues-Thurs from 2 pm - 5pm. I might also mention that it's important to talk to the General or Executive Manager of the restaurant. Kitchen, dining room, and assistant managers won't be able to make the decision. Sometimes the GM may not be able make the decision, but he'll be the gatekeeper to the District Manager or Area Supervisor.

Good points about working a buffet-style restaurant. I worked a Caféteria-style and buffet-style for years. Timing is important, and after you've done it a while you feel the "rhythm" of the particular restaurant and can time your approaches as such.

As far as other advice, I always went in with a "promo kit" for lack of a better term. It would have a short bio sheet, newspaper clippings, letters of recommendation, and a few one-sheeters describing close-up magic in general and restaurant magic in particular and the BENEFITS it has for a restaurant. These would serve as something for the manager to look as I pitched the idea, and as visual reminders for myself of particular points I wanted to make.

If they were interested or needed to discuss it with their boss, I left it with them and followed up later. If not, I thanked them for their time and went on my way.

Another point to remember is that some restaurants change managers VERY frequently. One restaurant I worked changed GMs 3 times in a year. I had to win each one over every time just to keep the restaurant gig. Point being, if one restaurant rejects you, don't be afraid to come back in a few months and check again...personnel changes and so does business needs.

I've found no magic pill for approaching restaurants. Rejection sucks and you'll probably be rejected several times before landing one.
googoodolls
View Profile
New user
Colorado
71 Posts

Profile of googoodolls
Yeah no matter what you will be rejected its a part of life. You might be rejected the first time you walk into a place. But you kind of have to remember the batman thoughts on life. Why do we fall? So we can get up again. That's what all of us have to do everyone fails once when they start, but from experience and trying this and learn what not to do, like light stuff on fire and other things. I couldn't help but mention that because that is from Tommy Boy. But in the long run no matter what we will fail trying to do something properly you just have to get up and try again and hope it works.

Honestly you don't have to do much to get in the door. All you have to do is be yourself. Plus if you can be yourself in any situation you will the owner also. Also I might add on the subject is even if you say that owners and waiters and waitress could make up your wages you typically get more in the long run everything else is a waste a time in my opinion. Just be yourself and if they don't like ya then there is someone else. Just don't blow something up that would not be good either. I honestly don't want to be liable or anything. So honestly I am not in charge there. Just be yourself and you will get it everyday practically if you know yourself well enough.

sincerely,

Ryan
alexandru.diaconu
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

<long time without internet access, I'm finally back>

Thanks everyone for the advice, I'm starting to get an idea of what to do and what-not.

The most useful idea is JeffWampler's promo kit. As soon as I buy myself a briefcase, I'll build my very own promo kit as well.

Also, I'm starting to really like doing magic at weddings. How do I make my city find out that I'm a wedding entertainer? Do I talk to the managers of restaurants that are usually used for weddings?
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Reception Halls, Golf Clubs/Country Clubs, wedding planners, your Church (where ceremonies are held), wedding announcements, bridal shops, bridal shows. If you enjoy weddings you may also want to look at engagment parties etc.

B
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Bridal Shows/wedding shows. Also, wedding magazines (go to any wedding show and you'll find them lol)
alexandru.diaconu
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

What are reception halls? <blush>
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Best way to approach restaurant managers? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL