The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Intermission Time (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
I currently do a fundraising show that is one hour in length. To help the client raise a few more dollars, I encourage them to have a concession booth set up before the show, with the doors to the show being open about 45 minutes before showtime. (I sell my BOR after the show).

In order to help my client maximize their earning potential, I was thinking of breaking the show into two half-hour segments, with a 10-15 minute intermission. This will allow the concession booth to sell much more product.

Do you think that a half-hour segment is too short of time to break for intermission?

Brian
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7404 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Brian -

I've done a 60 minute show, with no break.

I've also done a 90 minute show. That was a 45 minute portion, 15 minute break, and then a 30 minute portion.

Also, you both should be doing BOR / concession before and after the show, if you don't have the break. It's worked well that way for me, at school family nights / fundraisers.

- Donlad
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Thanks Donald. It is difficult for me to do BOR before the show, as I'm all the staff I have. Smile So, before the show, I like to go out among the audience and do some close-up magic, as this gives me an idea of suitable volunteers for the show.

You're right though ... I need to work in the pre-show BOR somehow.

Also, a 45 min. show, break, and 30 min. segment sounds good.

Brian
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7404 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
If you are working with a PAC, arrange for them to handle your BOR table completely and then you give them a portion.

After the show, you can wander over to the table to do autographs, etc.

I've done this at a few shows. At one show, 4/5 of my BOR sales were before the show.

- Donald
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hi Brian,

We've done 1/2 hour segments separated by an intermission to allow the fundraiser to do sales.

Donald's suggestion of letting the organizer/charity arrange the BOR is a good one and we have done it as well.

We have also done 45/45 split or 45/30 split and they both work fine too, even a 40/30 split works.

Intermission times are often announced as being either 10 or 15 minutes but actually go on to be closer to 20 minutes plus, depending on the crowd, because of BOR, refreshments being sold etc.

My only suggestion is that you do not do less than 30 minutes in a performing segment.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
That sure would save the 30-minute line-up after the show! Smile It takes quite awhile to sell 50 books and wands, and sign them all.

Bottom line ... it sounds like it doesn't matter either way (regarding the time of the show segments), as long as the customer is feeling like they're getting their money's worth.

Brian
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7404 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
One thing that I feel does matter for the length of the segments, is this. If they are different lengths, the longer portion should be the first portion. The shorter length should be the second portion.

That's the way that Murray Hatfield and many other big-name pros do their touring shows.

- Donald
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
The only problem that I find with having an intermission is it breaks up the foward motion of your act and when you come back to the stage, you usually have to start all over to build up that momentum.

Also, from time to time, upon returning for the 2nd half, part of your audience may have disappeared leaving with you only 1/2 the crowd you started with.

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Hmmmmm.....Copperfield's first shows were approx. 75 minutes and that included a TV segment being shown!!

I often do a split show. For schools (K-6) a 60-70 minute show with a 20 minute break (remember these are Moms and volunteers doing the serving/sales) give a nice 1 1/2 hour program. A 7:00 p.m. show start puts them out before 9:00, a good time to get the kids home to bed, even a 7:30 start is not too late.

I would recommend ending each half with a "larger" effect, you may even want to mention the effect you plan to close the show with.

Blair
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Blair:

I think that DC's current shows are about 75 minutes, including a TV segment! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Intermission Time (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL