The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Storing an appearing cane (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Quote:
On 2011-05-04 18:22, wmhegbli wrote:
Dicmagic, I also have a very old Walsh Cane, I think you should have made sure it was wound tight before storing. Of couse it is to late now, but for others that is a solution.

Russ Walsh instructions does indicate that the cane may need re-winding, and he use to offer that service to re-tighten his canes. Of course that is not possible any longer, so I am sad to say, you cane is no longer of much use, but as you say, if you use it for the Shimada silk knot production, then you can still use it, if it does not droop when held in the middle or between the hands.

Thank you for the info. I wonder if anyone else can repair/retighten a Walsh cane?

Posted: May 10, 2011 8:12am
My 30 plus year old cane has now broken. The metal section that kept the pin closed and the cane retracted has cracked and broken. Time for either a new cane or change that part of my opening.
windrunner
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of windrunner
Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a Piece of PVC, that the cane will fit in, and two plug ends and you have a case for you cane. If you want to make it look pretty glue some felt or other decoration on it. I made one. It is easy to transport and protects the cane well.
Bryan Blankenship
"the alter ego of"
VanDoren the Magician
extremeeric
View Profile
New user
Long Island, NY
51 Posts

Profile of extremeeric
Keep it extended when stored.
JeremyTan
View Profile
New user
has magically produced
89 Posts

Profile of JeremyTan
Extended and inside one of those art tubes. is best. dust free!
YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/c/jeremytanmagic

Instagram: @jeremytanmagic
TikTok: @jeremytanmagic
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I agree with Jeremy about using a tube. I use tubes to store appearing candles, wands, & canes, umbrellas, flower bouquets, rolled up items (such as "Bathing Beauty" & "Rabbit Wand"), among other things. I have acquired tubes from various sources, including Christmas wrapping paper, photographs, amplifier tube tubes, USPS, etc. I have some that I have no memory of where they came from. I'm always on the lookout though, and I save them when I find them.

Regan
Mister Mystery
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Silicone spray will also help a slow cane to open faster.
TheMagicOfDean
View Profile
Regular user
What!? I Only Have
105 Posts

Profile of TheMagicOfDean
I ussually extend the cane and season it by placing a rubberband so it will be long and will not shrink.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I recently (a couple of years ago) took a Walsh appearing cane out of storage. It had been sitting in its' collapsed state for about 40 years. The ends had yellowed but it worked fine. I oiled it up with 3-in-one oil and then wiped it dry. I then rubbed it with gun blueing I bought at Walmart. After wiping it again several times I took white duct tape and taped both ends. It now looks and works like new.

Jim
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you put the gun bluing directly over the oil without completely degreasing it, you did two things.
1) you didn't follow the directions.
2) you wasted the bluing.

If you are going to blue the metal, you must degrease it first. Bluing is a specialized form of rust. The oil stops the bluing.

BTW, Flamel mentioned
Quote:
Lemon Juice or Vinegar for small spots in an organic/non-chemical treatment (citric acids or acetic acids)

This is baloney. Acetic acid and citric acid are both chemicals. Just because they come from lemons or from overaged wine does not make them somehow safer than any other weak acid.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Its true lemon juice and vinegar are chemicals.
but so is milk.come on now dangerous.they are very good cleaners.
and they are definitely safe.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Bill - you may be correct. But the cane looks new and I've been using it in all my shows for the past two years.

Jim
majura1
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of majura1
Can anyone point me to a tutorial or give me some tips on tightening the can so it doesn't fall apart when it springs open---its is very loose at the top.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On May 22, 2015, majura1 wrote:
Can anyone point me to a tutorial or give me some tips on tightening the can so it doesn't fall apart when it springs open---its is very loose at the top.

There is not way to tighten a "sprung" cane, it is spring steel. If has lost its coil tightness, you just have to use it as is or buy a new one. Many - many years ago, they use to be sent in for reconditioning. That is no longer available in today's world. Just use it for a gimmick like suggested in the 2 Walsh Cane booklets. There is some nice ideas for a sprung Vanishing Cane.

You did not mention if you have an Appearing or Vanishing. If it is an Appearing Cane, then replace the tape at the top with smooth plastic tape, or some of the aluminum tape sold in hardware stores. The reason your cane is uncoiling may be do to it catching on the tape at the top. I remember years ago in the late 1980's a batch of German canes were being sold with the wrong kind of tape at the top of the appearing canes. More like cloth medical tape. This tape caught on the top edge of the coil and prevented it from opening fully, and sometimes uncoil.

Not enough information from you to guess further.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Storing an appearing cane (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL