The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Where do you buy your magic? (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..20~21~22 [Next]
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
I can tell you where I do NOT buy anymore:
Hank Lee!
Really bad customer care! Besides the books I received looked second hand(!), really bad experiences there...
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Yep, sorry to say ditto for me, regarding Hank Lee. It's as if somewhere along the way, he just stopped caring.... Too bad.
JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
506 Posts

Profile of JJP161
1. Penguin Magic - great shipping, great customer service and good prices
2. Hocus-Pocus - Good prices on special sales, great selection
3. Conley's House of Magic - Great brick and mortar store
4. Ellusionist - Great shipping and great customer service
5. The Magic Café - as a few have said sooner or later you will find if for sale here @ a good price.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2077 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi All,

Here is my recent experience with Magic Pro Shop. I ordered an item on May 22. It had not arrived by June 3, so I sent an email asking for an update on my order and called several times as well (left a voice mail, but received no return call). I had not received a reply by June 7 and so I sent a second email. Expecting a prompt reply given the length of time from when I had placed my order, but not getting a reply, I decided to initiate a dispute with PayPal on June 8.

Magic Pro Shop was to have contacted me directly to settle the dispute. They did not and so on June 15, I escalated the dispute: still no reply from Magic Pro Shop. Originally I would have still wanted the item, but at this point I've told PayPal I don't want the item from Magic Pro Shop, just a refund.

I'll let you know how this ends up. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't deal with Magic Pro Shop. I just wanted to describe my experience with them so that you can make a more well-informed buying decision.

Regards, Steve
doormouse
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of doormouse
Sounds like they have gone back to their old ways. Heard lots of complaints about the Pro Shop.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5360 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I love it right here at the Café, where I've squeezed many a paycheck dry.

Otherwise, I like Stevens and The Trickery. Both of which carry many exclusive, collectible items which are right up my alley. My other option is to go to Murphys Magic Supply's web site, see what I like, then have my local brick and mortar call and get it in. It comes in two days, and I get a discount from him (and no shipping) for being a regular. Keep the B&M in business. Get my magic fast and cheap. Win!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Daniel Nicholls
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Nicholls
Alakazam all the way for me. The most helpful guys I've ever dealt with and always willing to go that extra mile to make sure I get exactly what I want. I visit the shop more often than not so I can have a look and get the inspiration of what I want to buy. I really have never found better service anywhere else.

Plus because they create a lot of their own tricks you can get it cheaper if you go with them.

Dan

http://www.alakazam.co.uk
Close your eyes. Open your senses.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2077 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Quote:
On 2010-06-17 19:38, yachanin wrote:
Hi All,

Here is my recent experience with Magic Pro Shop. I ordered an item on May 22. It had not arrived by June 3, so I sent an email asking for an update on my order and called several times as well (left a voice mail, but received no return call). I had not received a reply by June 7 and so I sent a second email. Expecting a prompt reply given the length of time from when I had placed my order, but not getting a reply, I decided to initiate a dispute with PayPal on June 8.

Magic Pro Shop was to have contacted me directly to settle the dispute. They did not and so on June 15, I escalated the dispute: still no reply from Magic Pro Shop. Originally I would have still wanted the item, but at this point I've told PayPal I don't want the item from Magic Pro Shop, just a refund.

I'll let you know how this ends up. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't deal with Magic Pro Shop. I just wanted to describe my experience with them so that you can make a more well-informed buying decision.

Regards, Steve

Here's the update I promised...

Magic Pro Shop did not respond to PayPal's request for information regarding my purchase, even after I escalated the dispute. PayPal found in my favor and I should receive a refund.

As a result of my experience, I will never order anything from Magic Pro Shop again.

Regards, Steve
Lou Cirulli
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of Lou Cirulli
I order weekly from Penguin! I love their customer service and free shipping! Plus I get an additional 10% off their prices because of their recurring customer discount! If I don't see something I need (like flash paper)I purchase from MJM. Sometimes I'll purchase from Hocus Pocus but the one place I will never shop again is Hank Lee. The are a pain in the butt to deal with, customer service in nonexistent, and when you order stuff off their website it doesn't tell you if it's out of stock. So sometimes you'll order something and you won't get it till 3 months down the road! I don't need that hassle!!!
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
Stevens magic is the best , mark is the nicest dealer on earth he listens understands and will never sell you crap I have been dealing with him for ten years of my life .. he never let me in need of any other shop he carries all the good items .
lemonjug
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of lemonjug
Best: Hocus Pocus

Worst: International Magic
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of wally
Had a bad experience with Hocus pocus.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of wally
Had a bad experience with Hocus pocus.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland, home of the TAXED
1085 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Viking Magic, Magic Warehouse, and Barry's (in no paticular order)
Viking:
Excellent top of the line products, Great service and they give excellent discounts to active duty military. Enough said!

Magic Warehouse:
I have ordered from them for years!
Today, I FINALLY made the trip there in person.
WOW!!! Well worth the trip! George was AWESOME!!!! He really energized me to do so much more and want to move into the shop!
Great selections, and of course George was more than helpful.

Barrys is up there as well. Same great service, and a great place to hang out! I love Barry and his staff! Be sure to have him show you his "Half Gone". It is a killer effect and Barry is really fun to watch perform it! And his DVD "Shell Shocked". And on his website too if you're not in the area.

If you are ever in the DC/Baltimore area, be sure to stop by one of these. Oh, and of course Denny's is also a great shop as well, as far as hanging out with a great guy and someone who cares about magic. Denny's is on the expensive side, but he and his staff go to great lengths to help you out. They don't sell "Crap" there for sure! And he won't sell you something he doesn't think you can handle or like...
mindguru
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of mindguru
These are my favourite online shops:

Penguin Magic
magicshop
Alakazam
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I like Alakazam because I *trust* Peter Nardi's taste. I've never gotten a dud from them.

I like Madhatter for price when I know exactly what I'm looking for, but quality is definitely hit or miss. Table top I got from them is fine. A production box I picked up cheap and my coin funnel are both great props. The "free throw in"I got with my order is okay but I dunno if Ill ever use it. The folding table base I got from them I'm not very happy with.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Hank Lee is local to me, but I only use him when he has really good specials as IMHO his everyday prices aren't competitive.
auriuspd
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of auriuspd
I have used most of the online magic sites. I usually purchase an item wherever I can get the best price. So many sites are offering different specials all the time, one really needs to cost compare. The only recurrent problem I've had is through Hank Lee when I purchase an item online only to find out when my order arrives that the item is no longer carried. Out of stock I can understand, but to have an item listed on the website and not carry it at all is fraud in my opinion. I have not had this problem at any other site.
I do use Hocus-Pocus a lot for their specials and estate items. I only wish they would have it set up to know what the postage/shipping cost is at the time the order is entered online. It would also be more convenient and probably safer in general if they took paypal without any additional fees like most sites.
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Lybrary is brilliant.

Kyle
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-08-06 18:00, mikenewman wrote:
Viking Magic, Magic Warehouse, and Barry's (in no paticular order)
Viking:
Excellent top of the line products, Great service and they give excellent discounts to active duty military. Enough said!

that's really good of them.

I recently bought a viking double load dove pan and I LOVE it. Great looking, superb construction, real steel not aluminum so the load pan stays cool for my dear little bird's feet. Low profile so its very deceptive.

I can *highly* recommend that product.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Where do you buy your magic? (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..20~21~22 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL