The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Where do you buy your magic? (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..20~21~22 [Next]
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Mike:
Sorry for having a rant, I must be having a rough day.
I should be happy as my Haiku arrived this morning.

Regards
Steve
jacoblucas
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of jacoblucas
While I in asia I buy from RANGMAGIC.COM WHILE AT IN EUROPE I BUY FROM KAPMAGIC.COM WHILE AT USA I BUY FROM MURPHY
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
Magic pro shop very good service and keeps items in stock.
doormouse
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of doormouse
"WHILE AT USA I BUY FROM MURPHY"
Interesting that Murphy's sells to non-dealers. I thought they claimed to sell to dealers only?
magicgeekone
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of magicgeekone
Im in Canada so I buy from

Morrisseys
Browsers Den
Vanishing Rabbit
JollyMon
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of JollyMon
I'm in Canada

Phil and Wilber at Kind of Magic have always done right by me http://www.kwmagic.com.

I have also purchased from:

Perfect Magic in Montreal
Ellusionist
Trick Productions

The worst was ordering a card sword and some other items from Hank Lees and having to pay huge brokerage charges when the item crossed the border, they did send a replacement as the card sword broke as soon as I assembled it, but the brokerage fees were over $60.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1745 Posts

Profile of wally
In the UK we have to be careful of heavy import duty / Shipping charges. tax tax tax tax
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2274 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Ok, so, Bob Little does not have a fancy web site, but, I called in an order at 4:15pm yesterday and received it in my mail box today at noon!--along with two free books and a candy bar!!! Who can match service like that? Smile
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
alannasser
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of alannasser
We might look at trends in the magic industry as a whole. Online shops multiply - they sell to anyone and they offer no instruction. No personal relationship. But big discounts. Result: traditional brick and mortar shops are at this point in a very precarious position. More than a few have gone under, more are on the brink of collapse. That means the end of the way magic has traditionally been taught and passed on. Example: kid goes into Denny and Lee in Baltimore, says he wants an easy trick to do that requires no skill, because he wants to perform it at a party that night. Denny tells him that even low- or no-skill tricks need to be rehearsed - you gotta get your routine down, smoothness, presentation, etc. Kid says he wants something he can do right away. Denny refuses to sell him anything, on the grounds that the kid's attitude is bad for magic. Most of you will probably not support Denny in this. But I think he's right. It's often said that today more people are doing magic than did magic 30 years ago. Right, but more of the magic that's done now is bad magic, compared to what an earlier generation did. I bought at Tannen's (when it used to be Tannen's) in the 1950s. Jim Herpick would help me with execution of moves and sleights, but only if I was better this time than I was last time, i.e. only if I'd practiced between last time and this time. I did not have to buy something every time. That kind of thing is passing out of existence now. Web merchants sell at discounts and get customers who perhaps should be supporting a real magician like Denny. In these times it's hard to pass up a big discount. But maybe preserving a tradition that upholds the standards of our art is more important than saving a few bucks.
Alan
NexusMagicShop
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny California
434 Posts

Profile of NexusMagicShop
Quote:
On 2010-09-26 17:30, doormouse wrote:
"WHILE AT USA I BUY FROM MURPHY"
Interesting that Murphy's sells to non-dealers. I thought they claimed to sell to dealers only?

@Doormouse
How is it possible that you bought from Murphys direct? They have no store front?
Jason of BackroomMagic
www.BackroomMagic.com/| Mobile friendly magic forums and blogs
www.twitter.com/Nexusmagicstore
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Alan- I don't want to re-quote you but your insights and thoughts are really spot on.

Those who are serious about magic will join some local clubs or SAM chapter and hopefully the traditions will be passed on in a similar but different way as the past. The accessibility of magic on the net is a fact/trend that isn't about to change. No way.

I grew up in L.A. Going to Hollywood Magic and many other local stores. I'm thinking that our traditions aren't necessarily in danger just because brick and mortar stores are scarce. They are being passed on in other ways.

More people may be trying magic and I would agree with you that many are not doing it well - But the same could be said about anything the internet makes accesable now - writing, photography, you name it.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
doormouse
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of doormouse
Nexxus, I was referring to the post above (jacoblucas). Interesting that Murphy's claims to sell to dealers only, but so many non-dealers have accounts. Since you are in the biz and represent their line this should probably concern you.
tonysamos1
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of tonysamos1
I live in Salem, MA., several years ago, I was surprised to find that one of the best places for my magic purchases was Diamonds Magic, next town over in Peabody, MA. I do most my non-magical item purchases online, so it's great to have a traditional business store that I can physically visit, see demo's of effects, talk shop with fellow patrons, and also have face to face time with the owners.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3896 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I buy VERY selectively from eBay. (You have to be careful because there is a lot of artist rip-off stuff. So to be safe, I buy nothing from Hong Kong or China.)

I buy a LOT directly from the creators themselves (Bill Abbott et all)

I buy from Penguin and then

Hank Lee
Stephens Magic

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
mindguru
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of mindguru
I usually buy from popular online magic shops and some times the creators.
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
--------eXtrementalism--------......IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND.....
1268 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
HELP NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wizardmagic.com

Has anyone some good or bad experience with the Wizardmagic.com run by Leigh Hotz???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to order some trickS but can´t find any info on this shop here at the café or google.

I have seen an interesting effect that´s not easy to get for that price in other shops, but it´s
an unnown dealer to me...

Thanks already!!!
John
NexusMagicShop
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny California
434 Posts

Profile of NexusMagicShop
Quote:
On 2011-02-04 08:26, doormouse wrote:
Nexxus, I was referring to the post above (jacoblucas). Interesting that Murphy's claims to sell to dealers only, but so many non-dealers have accounts. Since you are in the biz and represent their line this should probably concern you.

One x in Nexus - You're thinking of Nexxus Shampoo. Nexus definition is: A means of connection; a link or tie. And Magic is certainly what links us together, and the connection that ties us with our audience. That's why I am Nexus Magic. Smile

My apologies I meant to quote the other guy. I don't believe that Murphy's is selling direct to the public. But if they wanted too and hide it I'm sure they could do it easily. I think this gentleman was just saying it to feel included in this thread. I am carrying some unique products now, and moving towards more Stage Magic illusions.
Jason of BackroomMagic
www.BackroomMagic.com/| Mobile friendly magic forums and blogs
www.twitter.com/Nexusmagicstore
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Barry's Magic Shop
Denny and Lee - Baltimore
Bob
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3896 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Lately I have been buying more and more from Outlaw Magic and Promystic. Both have awesome stuff...perfectly detailed. Great performers.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3477 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Am lucky to have three great "brick and mortar" shops near my home in Ontario... Brower's Den of Magic, Morrissey Magic and KW Magic. I try to support them as much as possible. For specialized items Promystic and Hocus Pocus have been great.

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Where do you buy your magic? (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..20~21~22 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL