The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Where do you buy your magic? (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9..20~21~22 [Next]
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Yup, I was about to buy from the during their 35% discount fiasco. But there was not shipping options so I don't know how much they will charge me for international shipping (which most of times are expensive). So I gotta sent an e-mail, and got a reply almost a day later, the event was already finished Smile

Well, I wasn't that upset as they charge higher than most of the shops I know. But perhaps they should put a shipping options before customers proceed with the checkout.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
magicxman
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of magicxman
Quote:
On 2010-04-22 19:34, sharpace wrote:
Hocus Pocus year ago said they will update their shopping cart to show shipping charges, Until now they still don't show exact shipping charges. Now all my orders goes to Magicware House. Magicware House show the exact shipping charges and have a lots of shipping methods you can choose.

Quote:
On 2010-04-23 05:13, Failed Magician wrote:
Yup, I was about to buy from the during their 35% discount fiasco. But there was not shipping options so I don't know how much they will charge me for international shipping (which most of times are expensive). So I gotta sent an e-mail, and got a reply almost a day later, the event was already finished Smile

Well, I wasn't that upset as they charge higher than most of the shops I know. But perhaps they should put a shipping options before customers proceed with the checkout.

I have same experience , I heard Hocus Pocus shipping charges are much higher than the other dealers. Before placing an order I email them about the fedex shipping , they told me the shipping by fedex priority is $85 Then I put the same items in Magicware house shopping cart when check out , I choose fedex priority shipping they immediately show me the shipping charges for the whole order is $44.19

So my order goes to Magicware house.....
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

This might not relevant to the topic, but why did you need Fedex Priority Shipping? It cost you a lot. Why didn't you choose regular priority mail? Do you live outside the U.S.?
magicxman
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of magicxman
Yes,I am mot in US. Airmail needs 15-20 days to arrive. Fedex only 5 days.
This is relevant topic "WHERE DO YOU BUY YOUR MAGC", becuase at first I always buy my magic props from Hocus Pocus because don't know HP charges higher shipping cost than the other dealers. I know Fedex Priority Shipping is expensive, everywhere charge the same rate. But when I found the other dealer charges much cheaper than Hocus Pocus.

So "WHERE DO YOU BUY YOUR MAGC" ? My answer is "Magicware House" their shipping charges are much cheaper than Hocus Pocus.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10720 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Ken Sands magic Galore and More located in westminister CA
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
rondasue
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of rondasue
I loved magiccurios
viking
miracle factory
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
Bob Kohler, John Kennedy
webstercolby
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of webstercolby
AllanK
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
191 Posts

Profile of AllanK
In over 30 years of buying magic, I can honestly say that I've only ever had good experiences. Well, there was one UK dealer who took 21 years to deliver a prop (ordered 1984, delivered 2005!!), but that's another story. Ordering things from Australia is quite expensive postage-wise, but I have always found dealers to be extra careful with the way way they will package goods into more than one parcel to minimize the cost. Most of my orders these days are through Hocus-Pocus - they always manage to choose the best method of getting things to me in the fastest time, be it FedEx, UPS, or USPS. But other dealers offering outstanding service spring to mind, such as Outlaw, The Trickery, Penguin and Viking Magic in the US, and Sean Taylor in Australia. Of course, there are also all those dealers who sell only their own creations, such as Mark Leveridge in the UK and John Mendoza in the US. They are all most courteous and professional in all their dealings. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I really think we magicians get very good service in general.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

What's Sean Taylor's website? Maybe it would be cheaper for me to order from Australia too.
AllanK
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
191 Posts

Profile of AllanK
I know you're joking Failed Magician, but with exchange rates as they are, it actually might be cheaper to order from Sean - certainly for his own items (like his excellent Mindstorms book or Probe). His is a bricks and mortar shop in Sydney - the website is http://www.taylorsmagicshop.com .

Allan
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2316 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
http://www.MagicPlace.us

Its a new shop in the portland area.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Thanks Allan, I'll check it up.
cinful823
View Profile
New user
England, UK
76 Posts

Profile of cinful823
1) Local magic store
2) Penguin magic
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-04-26 06:10, AllanK wrote:
I know you're joking Failed Magician, but with exchange rates as they are, it actually might be cheaper to order from Sean - certainly for his own items (like his excellent Mindstorms book or Probe). His is a bricks and mortar shop in Sydney - the website is http://www.taylorsmagicshop.com .

Allan

I forgot to tell you that I live in Asia.
davidleiper
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of davidleiper
I live in Aberdeen in Scotland so there hasn't been a brick and mortar shop here for quite some time (as far as I know), so the bulk of my buying is online.

Pleased to report I have nothing but great things to say about all the dealers I've purchased from.

Favoured dealers

Alakazam.com
Dudethatscoolmagic.com
Freepostmagic.com

Always make time to pop into Tam Shepherd's whenever I'm in Glasgow. Love that place and the fact that Roy Walton runs it make it a journey worthwhile every time!!
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Stevens Magic

http://www.stevensmagic.com

Bob Phillips
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Hocus Pocus
Denny & Lee Magic Studio
Stevens' Magic Emporium
Owens Magic Supreme
Viking Magic
Jamie Schoolcraft
L&L Publishing
H&R Magic Book Store

These are all bookmarked as 'vendors' on my browser. I will sometimes go elsewhere, but that's very rare. No B&M shops near me, but I will try and visit one whenever I am out and about.
zhoudumu
View Profile
Regular user
philadelphia
172 Posts

Profile of zhoudumu
Penguin magic in most of cases
or direct from magicians, like jay sankey, michale Ammar
Red King
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Red King
1. Hocus Pocus (by a wide margin)
2. Tannen's
3. Lybrary.com (only for ebooks, obviously)
4. Steven's Magic Emporium

While the over-the-top hype of their weekly "specials" can occasionally be a bit grating, the folks at Hocus Pocus are really nice and have been very accommodating when, for example, when something that I have ordered under a "buy-one-get-one" promotion turned out to be out of stock. Also, when a delivery of 6 or 7 items got very messed up, they went ahead and had their supplier ship me a duplicate of the the entire order from their warehouse, and just trusted that I would send back the (expensive) original order when it eventually showed up a few days later. This sort of customer treatment earns my repeat business. I too wish they would include an invoice that breaks down the charges with the shipped order ... but if you order by phone and ask, I am pretty sure that they would find a way to let you know what the shipping charges would be before completing your order ... they seem to really want you to be a satisfied customer.

Tannen's also has earned some loyalty points from me. They went pretty far out of their way to make things up to me when I paid for 2-day shipping and the order got sent to the wrong city/zip and ended up taking over a week to get to me ... even though I really don't think it was all their fault. Seem like good guys who have to pay the added costs of maintaining a B&M. They can't always compete directly on cost with online-only dealers, but they try to make it up in others where they can.

The one thing to remember is that when you call a dealer up about a problem, the guy/gal on the other end has an enormous amount of "power" to either help solve your problem or brush it/you off to the side ... and you often have more "power" than you might think to influence their choice. Venting your frustration on someone who may have nothing to do with your actual problem will almost always prove counterproductive ... while if you unload a full measure of magician's charm and politeness on them, you may be surprised how eager they are to make you a happy customer!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Where do you buy your magic? (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9..20~21~22 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL