The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Where do you buy your magic? (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..20~21~22 [Next]
BAGWIZ
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco Bay Area
160 Posts

Profile of BAGWIZ
Misdirections Magic Shop in San Francisco.

All-time favorite was Joe Berg's when he had a shop on Hollywood Blvd.
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I order from Penguin Magic.

With this last order they sent me an email with a link showing a video of them packing my order. How's that for first rate service!

This Christmas I'll be in St Paul MN so I'll stop by Twin Magic and buy something that I probably don't need. I cant wait to find out what it'll be!
Life of Magic!
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Wow, I am getting old. The majority of the stores mentioned I've never heard of except for a cupola. Abbotts is hardly mentioned and they had stores in some of the larger cities, like Indianapolis, where Duke Stern was the manager. This was in the forties and fifties. Tannens always had a nice catalog, as did Abbotts, P&L, Owens - . I bought my first tricks from Johnson Smith and they had a catalog the size of a phone book - lots of junk in it and a lot of SS Adams. I put a request in the book thread for names of dealers that had catalogs, PDF or printed. Did not get very many responses. No B&M here in Donkey Doo, Texas that I know about. Guess I'll have to use the internet. So far, Murphys has the best internet layout compared to some.
BAGWIZ
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco Bay Area
160 Posts

Profile of BAGWIZ
Misdirections Magic Shop in San Francisco.

All-time favorite was Joe Berg's when he had a shop on Hollywood Blvd.
Russ
View Profile
Regular user
Muskogee, Oklahoma
131 Posts

Profile of Russ
Most of the stuff I have is from people that probably are suffering from buyers remorse or just lost interest.

I have more magic than I could ever learn. I have books that are still in shrink rap and the same for DVDs. I for one have to much magic. The stuff I have may not be the latest and greatest but still good stuff.

My latest acquisition was:
1. Life Savers -- Michael Webber
2. The Aronson Approach -- Simon Aronson
3. The Cervon File -- Bruce Cervon
5. The Close-Up Magic of Aldo Colombini -- Aldo Colombini
6. The Artistic and Magical Life of Bob Kline -- William E. King Jr.
7. Quietus of Creativity Vol. 1 -- Dean Montalbano

Now if I could learn just 1% of what was in just these seven volumes I could probably make a living as a magician. But, I already have and other job. I am just a magic junky.
"All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten" by Robert Fulghum
NexusMagicShop
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny California
434 Posts

Profile of NexusMagicShop
Quote:
On 2011-02-04 08:26, doormouse wrote:
Nexxus, I was referring to the post above (jacoblucas). Interesting that Murphy's claims to sell to dealers only, but so many non-dealers have accounts. Since you are in the biz and represent their line this should probably concern you.

Thanks Doormouse for your concern, though even if this were true which is doubtful, it doesn't concern me as I am building relationships with many different distributors and I am carrying many products other then Murphys. They have been great as Murphys is 4 miles from my house, so it's convenient for my clientele who need products quick. Though I am enjoying my relationships with other dealers, and I am focused on carrying more unique products.
Jason of BackroomMagic
www.BackroomMagic.com/| Mobile friendly magic forums and blogs
www.twitter.com/Nexusmagicstore
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5962 Posts

Profile of motown
Daryl & Alison at Fooler Doolers.
Great great customer service. Friendly.
Always like how they tell you your purchase has been lovingly wrapped up.
They give you several options for shipping and never goughe you on the price.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
I AM THE WALRUS
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of I AM THE WALRUS
I think magictrickstore is great. Excellent communication, great prices. New here, no many posts but I wanted to say that.
tvbobby
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of tvbobby
Penguin Magic. Great service.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5039 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2011-12-22 16:34, spartacus wrote:
Wow, I am getting old. The majority of the stores mentioned I've never heard of except for a cupola. Abbotts is hardly mentioned and they had stores in some of the larger cities, like Indianapolis, where Duke Stern was the manager. This was in the forties and fifties. Tannens always had a nice catalog, as did Abbotts, P&L, Owens - . I bought my first tricks from Johnson Smith and they had a catalog the size of a phone book - lots of junk in it and a lot of SS Adams. I put a request in the book thread for names of dealers that had catalogs, PDF or printed. Did not get very many responses. No B&M here in Donkey Doo, Texas that I know about. Guess I'll have to use the internet. So far, Murphys has the best internet layout compared to some.

Murphy's has such high prices! They gouge everybody- dealers and non-dealers. They put a MANDATED retail price on items and make the retailers sell for that price- if you don't they boycott you or tell you if you don't sell at that price you cannot but thier products! That's why Murphy's is my last stop if need be.
Trivellino
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Trivellino
In my opinion one of the most reliable on line magic dealers in the UK are Magicianfx- great prices, and honest advice with regards purchasing via the phone.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Uh, let me see.....uh....does almost everywhere count? I could probably name the places I don't buy magic about as easy as I could name the places where I do buy magic. I have some favorite shops I use when I can, but many times magic items are difficult to locate. I buy from many different magic sources online. I don't live anywhere near a brick & mortar magic shop but I support them when I can.

Also, I buy so many things from regular stores for my magic show as well. From department stores, malls, grocery stores, tool suppliers, various types of dollar stores, office supply stores, teacher supply stores, fabric shops, hardware stores, magnet suppliers, electronic suppliers, toy stores, to untold specialty shops, etc, etc, etc.

Wow, we should get some kind of award, reward, citation, something. Magicians are great for the economy! Smile

Regan
Mister Mystery
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
I buy from this forum mostly. Used to shop in MJM, before I tried Penguin. Now mostly from Penguin, and have becoming a return customer for Hocus-Pocus even at the beginning I was put off by their shopping cart where it doesn't show the shipping cost. But they also have a great customer service *hats off for Karen*

I just bought two items from Madhatter last week, and it was great service as well. Called em up through Skype half across the globe. It feels amazing Smile
Magic comes through perception. -HS
NexusMagicShop
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny California
434 Posts

Profile of NexusMagicShop
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 10:30, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-22 16:34, spartacus wrote:

Murphy's has such high prices! They gouge everybody- dealers and non-dealers. They put a MANDATED retail price on items and make the retailers sell for that price- if you don't they boycott you or tell you if you don't sell at that price you cannot but thier products! That's why Murphy's is my last stop if need be.

Stock is always an issue too, and the reasons you mentioned are quite frustrating.
Jason of BackroomMagic
www.BackroomMagic.com/| Mobile friendly magic forums and blogs
www.twitter.com/Nexusmagicstore
Magicsoccer
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Magicsoccer
Bob Solari Magic- Excellent service (first class), pricing and unique effects. The turnaround time on orders is excellent and I can tell Bob really cares about his customers.
Penguin Magic- Good service and nice selection.

In the past, Hank Lee was a favorite but the service is hit or miss.

James
knownmagician
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of knownmagician
I recommend MagicWarehouse.
GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE and very cheap shipping cos.

Just DO NOT buy from wwww.visualmagicshop.conm. It's the WORST place to buy.
They will take your money and NEVER SEND YOUR ORDER.
sketchomagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
217 Posts

Profile of sketchomagic
I'm a Penguinmagic man myself. Love their service.

JB Magic USA is another, and Worldmagicshop.com of course for the exclusive orders
from over seas.
sublime80
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of sublime80
Quote:
On 2011-12-10 07:56, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
From a UK perspective the best dealers are:

Mike Danata
magictricks.co.uk
JB Magic
International Magic
Zane
Martin Breese
Davenports

The one's to watch out for are:

Worldmagicshop - they show their prices online excluding VAT so they look cheaper than they are for UK buyers (sneaky)
Merchant of Magic - they deal mainly with the trade so private buyers get an inferior service.
Alakazam - they still take your money when products are out of stock

I have never had a problem with merchant of magic, they have always been very friendly and kept me up to date with my orders . I have ordered from magicbox.uk.com and that's another good service . freepost have sent my stuff really quick but it was only cards so cant say about the rest of there stuff . Martin Breese is amazing Martin and John Hinchliffe are really helpful
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
The usual,
1) Wizard's Chest - Reinke Bros (local)-when they have my item. A little extra $ is okay.
2) Whomever has it at the best price. I'll avoid MM only.
3) Ebay, if it's okay to get used.
4) Club meetings and Conventions.
It's not their senses that mislead, it's their assumptions.
SydBeckman
View Profile
Elite user
Tennessee
487 Posts

Profile of SydBeckman
I prefer B&M when possible. I also prefer direct when possible. That said, I have had great service from Penguin.
Syd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Where do you buy your magic? (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..20~21~22 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL