The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Where do you buy your magic? (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20~21~22 [Next]
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I buy from the publishers (such as L&L, Hermetic Press) when possible. Sometimes Penguin. H&R Magic Books for books. Other magic I buy at a local brick-and-mortar shop in Little Rock, Arkansas: Mr. Magic. I moved to Hot Springs, Arkansas, about 12 years ago from New York. I was shocked to find this store. It has to be one of the most well-stocked stores in the country. If you're ever looking for something that you haven't been able to find aywhere else, give him a call. He has an enormous amount of stuff in stock and you may be surprised.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I have a few as my go to places.

Acar at penguinmagic.com, Mandy and Shaun at papercranemagic.com, Steve at emagicsupply.com, Michael at system6magic.com, Rich at trcky.com, Josh and Andi at vanishingincmagic.com, Alex and Kevin at thebluecorwn.com

Of course individual creators like Justin Miller at justinmillermagic.com and Cameron Francis at cameron-francis.com ( boy, do Justin and Cameron knock it out of the park with their releases ).

I guess I'm open to buying wherever they have customer service as priority #1, incredible products and a user friendly site.

I like places that when I order something, they send it. All of the above send it the day I order. If it's a pre-order, they send it on the date they announced ( most of the time, sooner than that ).
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ray,

I just moved out of Arkansas. (Break - up with my wife)

Anyway, I wasn't aware of the shop you mentioned. But it sounds good.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
http://www.dennymagic.com Simply the best in the business. when you call he answers the phone, has an encyclopedic knowledge of magic that he willingly shares he will have unusual, hard-to-find and rare items along with the gear workers need. he provides a wide Variety of books on every subject. There are many, many magicians who will tell you they would not be as successful as they are, not as talented as they are, not have the knowledge they do if not for Dennis Haney
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
harbour
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of harbour
Tannens
Hank Lee
MJM
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Daffydoug,

Mr. Magic (Jim Henson), in Arkansas, doesn't do any advertising. It's all word of mouth. I was here about 4 years before I even knew it existed. Like I said, if there is anything you are looking for that you haven't been able to find, give him a call. You might be surprised.

The local magic club (IBM), in conjuction with the magic store, also hosts great lecturers, from Banachek to David Stone, Daryl, Jonathan Pendragon, and others. What a find!
Silver Glove Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Magic... coast to coast, here's to another...
334 Posts

Profile of Silver Glove Magic
I frequent The Magic Apple, Studio City California. And of course the Penguin.
Posting ever so slightly.
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
Yea The Magic Apple has a great selection of magic. Great place!
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Williams Magic in Tucson, if they sell it. I always try to go to them first. Sad news, they are closing their Brick and Mortar shop. Good news, they have a huge rig transformed into a mobile shop, and they travel the US with it. They will continue to sell online, but it is a sad that a another great shop is closing, a place to gather and meet. I am in Mississippi now, and they get things in on a Thursday, they send it that day and I have it by Saturday.

Fast, friendly just great people.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Oh and Harbor, at this rate how can Hank Lee even be on your list. They aren't even open anymore...
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Mostly I purchase directly from creators if at all possible. That's the best way to support your favorite creators IMO.

Jim
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On 2013-02-27 21:20, Scott Fridinger wrote:
Oh and Harbor, at this rate how can Hank Lee even be on your list. They aren't even open anymore...

I find it interesting that Hank Lee's was just about the only place to receive a series of negative comments, and this was BEFORE we heard about any legal problems he was having.
Quote:
On 2010-04-20 21:52, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
OK, I'll say it since no one else will - NOT Hank's. Feel free to PM me for details.

Quote:
On 2010-06-16 11:21, EricDraven wrote:
I can tell you where I do NOT buy anymore:
Hank Lee!
Really bad customer care! Besides the books I received looked second hand(!), really bad experiences there...

Quote:
On 2010-06-16 16:40, marknem7 wrote:
Yep, sorry to say ditto for me, regarding Hank Lee. It's as if somewhere along the way, he just stopped caring.... Too bad.

Quote:
On 2010-08-07 14:12, Cyberqat wrote:
Hank Lee is local to me, but I only use him when he has really good specials as IMHO his everyday prices aren't competitive.

Frankly, I've heard much worse in private about Hank Lee for years, and I have also received some questionable customer service of my own. I guess we should not be surprised.

Its a new competitive world out there Mr. Supplier, and you will be rewarded for good customer service and fair prices. I think that sums up what this thread is all about.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
My local brick and mortar shop went the way of the dinosaur last summer so I am now restricted to phone orders and online purchases. The old standbys have served me well and still do:

1. Stevens Magic Emporium
2. Hocus Pocus
3. Denny and Lee
4. The Magic Warehouse

For used magic books or props:

1. John Greget
2. Byron Walker
3. O'Dowd
4. J.P. Jackson
Mike Kirby
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Mike Kirby
1 penquin
2 Elmwood
3 Magic Geek
Mike Kirby
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Mike Kirby
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 23:55, randirain wrote:
Hobby Lobby
Home Depot
Lowes

Randi

I run past my wife going in Hobby Lobby! I love that store!
mentalist25
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of mentalist25
Penguin magic
or
hocus-pocus
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1946 Posts

Profile of Claudio
For UK customers, magicianfx.co.uk is excellent and highly recommended!

Last week I put an order with MagicianFx, shop run by Gary Bryson. I ordered two books and a few other minor items. One of the two books, Card Dodgery by J.K. Hartman had been damaged during shipping. I emailed Gary with a photo of the damaged book and without any hesitation offered me several options to choose from. One of them was of course a refund (no exchange was possible as it was his last copy in stock), and another, that I accepted, was to keep the book as is and a credit note the equivalent of the book price.

Gary was very proactive to offer help once I'd reported my problem.

I forgot to say that Gary had added two recent copies of Magic magazine and a free DVD.

Top mark for MagicianFX and thanks again Gary.
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Hanklee.
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of 1908
Hank Lee is the best! Smile
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
555 Posts

Profile of Circusman
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2014, Claudio wrote:
For UK customers, magicianfx.co.uk is excellent and highly recommended!

Last week I put an order with MagicianFx, shop run by Gary Bryson. I ordered two books and a few other minor items. One of the two books, Card Dodgery by J.K. Hartman had been damaged during shipping. I emailed Gary with a photo of the damaged book and without any hesitation offered me several options to choose from. One of them was of course a refund (no exchange was possible as it was his last copy in stock), and another, that I accepted, was to keep the book as is and a credit note the equivalent of the book price.

Gary was very proactive to offer help once I'd reported my problem.

I forgot to say that Gary had added two recent copies of Magic magazine and a free DVD.

Top mark for MagicianFX and thanks again Gary.

Alakazam could learn a few lessons from your experience.
I bought a £2/50p coin from them. The quality was absolute shiat !
It looks as though it's been hit by a sledgehammer, and the join is so obvious. I've never been able to use it - and Alakazam would not reply to ANY emails !
DISGRACEFUL DEALER !

Bobby.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Where do you buy your magic? (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20~21~22 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL