The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Where do you buy your magic? (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..20~21~22 [Next]
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
773 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
I'm part of the club too johncesta.... I wish I had a magic shop in my area....

bummer
Junior Smile
J Rodriguez
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2283 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
A little diversion in topic:

I would like to support a brick and mortar shop in my area also, but most B & M shops cater to the hobbyist or beginner, and they will tell you so. Frankly, I think it’s a good strategy. IMHO there are too few people that buy a large amount of magic or higher priced magic, while there are many people who dabble.

Other opinions?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Jared
IMO Penguin is the easiest on-line magic store to do business with hands down. Free shipping for orders over $20.00 is a great benefit, plus whenever I needed something shipped quickly 9 times out of 10 they oblige and pay the difference for 1st class mail or Priority. I cannot possibly ask for more than that! The best deals are always found at Penguin, and their customer service persons are excellent.

Hocus Pocus is another good shop to buy from. My only complaint is that they have too many special offers with restrictions. I'd rather see them offer monthly specials and/or everyday low prices. Calculating shipping from Hocus Pocus can sometimes be a mystery. It would be better if their specials included shipping costs. The strength of Hocus Pocus is their live assistance. If you have a question about a product Hocus is excellent in providing good information. Paul is also a wonderful guy.

Madhatter Magic shop provides fast shipping and you can often find a handful of excellent specials. They need to somehow separate their costume selection from the magic equipment. It's a hassle to be looking at new items and have to keep clicking past Dracula costumes.

For specialty stores, I've had good experiences from Black's Magic, Outlaw, ProMystic, L & L, and Innovative Deceptions. A brief note to James at Black's Magic: please add an email address for general questions. I've been looking for it for days!

Jared
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
You guys are lucky. I live in Indonesia, so magic tricks and supplies are either rare or very expensive. I bought some items from MJM and Magic Warehouse, but I had to send them to a friend in USA and he will bring it when he goes to Indonesia.

We do have some magic shops here but they overcharge for almost everything. A trick that will cost me about $20 in most U.S. online shops could reach about $30 to $35 here. For a trick with $35 price tag will be sold around $55 to $65, that is why I can't move on, unless I'm a rich person.

So, any suggestion or recommendation on which shop I should choose? The one with good shipment such as FedEx to Indonesia. Thanks.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
winewizard
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of winewizard
I have posted this before, but I favor magictrickstore.com
Great selection, free shipping on purchase over $40, and unbeatable service.
I had a minor problem (not beyond the possibility that I was at fault), and they resolved situation in a manner beyond what I expected. They satisifed me well beyond my expectations, and have earned my loyalty. The pre - ordered items are also delivered very promptly. Does it sound like a I'm a fan?
Magicwarehouse and madhatter, as well as Doug Higley and Outlaw are also top of the heap
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
327 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Quote:
On 2009-10-25 07:31, Failed Magician wrote:
You guys are lucky. I live in Indonesia, so magic tricks and supplies are either rare or very expensive. I bought some items from MJM and Magic Warehouse, but I had to send them to a friend in USA and he will bring it when he goes to Indonesia.

We do have some magic shops here but they overcharge for almost everything. A trick that will cost me about $20 in most U.S. online shops could reach about $30 to $35 here. For a trick with $35 price tag will be sold around $55 to $65, that is why I can't move on, unless I'm a rich person.

So, any suggestion or recommendation on which shop I should choose? The one with good shipment such as FedEx to Indonesia. Thanks.

Hi there - I recognize your name and I thank you for the orders you've placed with us! While we don't offer FedEx, we do ship with UPS to Indonesia, which will give you a tracking number to follow your package all the way.

However, since you are concerned about money, it should come as no surprise that UPS and FedEx can both be very expensive to ship internationally. Usually, at least in our store, UPS International is more money because 1) it's the fastest way to ship something, and 2) it comes with tracking since UPS employees handle it all the way from our doorstep to yours.

The cheapest (and slowest) way to ship something is generally First Class Mail International, and the next step up is Priority Mail International which generally arrives at your destination within 10 business days. It's probably the most economical "express" type shipping you can purchase.

However, if money is your concern, then doing what you're doing (by sending the packages to a relative in the USA to bring to you) is the most affordable thing to do.
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
Jaymz023
View Profile
Veteran user
Midwest
356 Posts

Profile of Jaymz023
I use MJM for most of my purchases. I also have bought from Penguin, Theory 11, and Ebay
Creator of "Re-Attached" an easy piece by piece Torn and Restored card routine.

http://www.lybrary.com/reattached-p-250.html
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2373 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
If it is not an online only deal like Outlaw Effects, I get everything from the magic warehouse in Baltimore, he is always the least expensive and ships really fast, also if you stop in his store, your treated like a friend, and allowed to play with things or take a look at a DVD, he also has used DVD's real cheap prices.
doormouse
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of doormouse
I have noticed a trend towards price fixing on certain products. From what I hear a major distributor is setting a minimum price and no dealer can sell below that price.
What do you think of this? Is it good or bad for the industry?
Matman
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Matman
This is my first post.

I thought I would like to contribute. I live in St. Albert (Alberta Canada)

Currently we do not have any B&M shops near. I mostly order online. From the US I have ordered from Penguin and MJM. I got great service from both. In Canada, I have ordered from Morrisey Magic and Spookclub (Spookclub is a local fellow from the Edmonton area). Again great service from both.

I think for me, given the economic times, I usally look for the best value. In case I am ordering a large amount of stuff, I will look at the extras. For example - if you oder over a certain amount, you will get a free trick or DVD. Free stuff is good!

Anyway - my two cents.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5360 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
A discussion regarding the value of B&M shops could go on and on. I just think it is almost a moot conversation at this point. Those of us who appreciate the presence and atmosphere of a real magic store is lost upon that increasing population of young magicians who never made the trek to his or her dream shop. A place they may have only heard about in advertisements, or word of mouth. It's not their faults, it's just the sign of the times. I'm really depressed by this as magic shops really are magical. No matter how dumpy, run down, sloppy, musty, dark, dingy, unmanaged, dirty, or just plain scary a magic shop could be...they are still magic shops. A place where magicians go.

It will be a sadder world when we have no where to go.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1237 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
What are the best Magic Shops from USA for International shipping?
Looking for economical shipping rates.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
The Cuckoo's Nest - Pittsburgh, PA
Denny & Lee's - Maryland
Barry's Magic Shop - Maryland

These are all good people. Support your brick and mortar shops!!!!
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Kalen7791
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Kalen7791
I've bought from many magic online shops in the past and the best in my eyes are
Magic Smith
Magic Depot
Penguin Magic

I have been very very satisfied with all three!
While Magic Depot has free shipping on orders $60. Or over it also has a no hassle return policy.
If you are not satisfied with the product return it no questions asked. And has been very quick to reponsed to my questions. Penguin magic also has great service and quickshipping. Check out any of these sites sure you will enjoy your experence I do.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
There's nothing like walking onto a real magic shop. The aroma, the sounds, the colors. The feeling of watching alive demo is amazing,

I'm showing my age. lol.

~Joe
~Joe
Thales
View Profile
Elite user
You may have read one of my
415 Posts

Profile of Thales
I love real magic shops but there are none is my area. I guess there are fewer and fewer of them now a days.

I just bought a couple things from Penguin and picked the free shipping option (7-10 day). Two days after ordering the items later and I have them in my hands! (I live in Mass and they came from CA) Not sure who should get the credit, Penguin or the USPS! But it looks like Penguin just gave me USPS First Class without charging me so thanks Penguin.

I also buy things from MadHatter, Sankey and True Astonishments as well as EBay. My favorite Ebay dealer is i-magicnation. They recently sent me a replacement spider for Jim Pace's Web because one of the legs was broken. No hassle, fast shipping and great communication.
"If you can't change the method, change the moment." Vernon
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2373 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Is it safe to ask, what dealers, Inter net and brick $ mortar stores have you had negative issues with, I am pleased to say that in more than 35 years of buying magic, I have not had a bad experiance, I purchased bad effects, but , that was my decison,
MagicManJL
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of MagicManJL
My three in no particular order are:
Mr. G's Magic (local brick&mortar)
DaytonaMagic (during convention)
Specific creators (IBM Ring lectures)
MrBob102
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Virginia
125 Posts

Profile of MrBob102
I have shopped at most of the places named in this post. I would add another that gives fast service: http://www.magictricks.com/. Pete even throws in a free gift.
Bambu
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Profile of Bambu
After years of not magic activities I started to get some materials from:

H & R Magic books
Magic Auction
EBay
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Where do you buy your magic? (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..20~21~22 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL