The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best DL for Ambitious Card routine?! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
LSK
View Profile
New user
Peterborough, UK
2 Posts

Profile of LSK
Quote:
On 2003-07-15 23:11, cardican66 wrote:
I really like LePaul's flip DL from the Card Magic of LePaul.

I'm starting to really like that as well. I've found myself practicing that a lot now. For my ACR I'll normally use a strike double because it's just so simple.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I'm a big fan of the Paul Wilson's Hit and Pinch double based on the strike double. He also explained it in a way that I better understood the movement, and things clicked for me. It's from his "Double Your Pleasure" lecture notes.

For a triple or when I have to hold a 4 card break, I use my own version of a multiple card lift. You look like you're sliding a "single card" forward with your fingers on top. It's a more natural looking move, in my opinion, for laymen.

I happened upon it while trying to figure out what really looks natural to those that don't gamble, do card magic, hold a deck in a mechanic's grip, etc. It's a good double to do after a few ales as it's fairly easy as well.

Mike
TOBIAS
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle Magic
221 Posts

Profile of TOBIAS
Here is the thing...
Turn over a card just normal. Then look at what you did. Now turn your Doubles the same way. No double lift is right for every one. So don't belive the hype.

It has to look consistant if you want it to be normal. The less they see the more magical it will look...

Smile
Be true to your art, and it will be true to you
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
Pablo: Indeed it is a very nice DL.

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
Nikos
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Nikos
I have a lot of trouble with the DL. I have RRTCM and Daryl's entire set of Encyclopedia of Card Sleights but I still struggle getting it right.
For those who have been caught all I can think of is the sleight is not yet at a level that is 100%. Refrain from performing a routine or sleight until you have it down pat. At the very least perform on someone you can trust to keep the secret. I have a friend who is into magic so we often practice on each other and point out where the other has gone wrong.
There is a magic club that meets once a month in my city and one of the magicians who goes there is Andrew Wimhurst. Andrew has released a video called The Card Artistry of Andrew Wimhurst.
It is excellent BTW.
My biggest problem with the DL is pushing off only two cards as one. I have practiced alot on this but am unable to get it right.
I also got CC2 from Ellusionist, and with Brad's explanation of the DL I can now pull it off. Not quite 100% - but I'm getting there.
mattpuglisi
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
321 Posts

Profile of mattpuglisi
I tend to favor the Derek Dingle DL in my AC routine, since it has no get-ready and accomplishes in one move what many turnovers/lifts do in two, but (as I have posted several times before) I have a deep conviction that one should master many different multiple lifts, and carefully choose them to fit the effects.

In addition, one should strive for internal consistency when employing multiple lifts/turnovers in magical effects - especially "The Ambitious Card". (I've seen AC routines where each lift/turnover was a completely different action than the last! This looks far too suspicious. Smile)

And always remember, which is to say never forget, that AC routines do not necessarily need to us any DL's at all. Smile
Lack of invention is the mother of necessity - Robert Nozick

Instagram: @matthewthomas00
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
One of the best tips is to RELAX your hands and do it gently.

A lot of mistakes come from too much tension in your hands. I noticed this first with the pinkie count. When I relaxed to do the move, it made it a lot easier. I also find this to be the case with the side-steal.... and is basically the case with all moves.

Once the double is turned over and back on the deck, a natural bend in the cards should leave you with an automatic get-ready. the double is already sticking up as the rest of the deck is bent down. This is something I don't use often enough myself.

Lastly, don't worry so much about not being perfect with it. Unless you're performing for magicians, you can get away with a non-perfect dl, and even if you're performing for magicians, they probably know you're doing a dl even if it is perfect (which is why you should be also be working just as much on a good top change)

Many times, I've said to myself, "YIKES" when making a mistake (cards not 100% aligned) , but it's not something the audience is looking for so don't sweat it.

Very Lastly, don't stare at the cards when performing a dl. take the heat off the deck until you've done the work.

I use a strike/pushover double kind of like the Derek Dingle thing and when I am performing a lot, I push over 2 aligned perfectly but I also notice that if I'm not performing a lot, the alignment slips and I align as I "strike" the double. I can easily see any alignment "problem" by looking at the opposite side of the deck so I know exactly where to strike to fix it. it's too fast for anyone else to catch.

So.... relax your hands!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
NiallTL
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of NiallTL
I riffle up the deck once I have pushed their card in, until I get to the last two cards at the top, so I can get a break. They find this suspicious, so I say "I'll just make sure it's worked", and I get a few laughs.

Hope this helps,
F.D. Smile
tomrav
View Profile
Regular user
Middlesbrough,UK
167 Posts

Profile of tomrav
I usually do a strike double. I'm currently working on a push-over double.
Rossolim0z
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of Rossolim0z
The best DL is where you take two cards and turn them over as one..pretty cool huh?
Hansen
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
653 Posts

Profile of Hansen
Hi Pablo,
Where can I learn Juan Tamariz´s "Volteo Sobresaliente" DL (keeping in mind, I'm afraid I don't speak any Spanish)? I'm a big fan of Tamariz's magic!
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
See how you flip over one card in a presentation, and find a double lift that mimics, if not duplicates, that move. There are so many DLs that you are bound to find one under any handling.

I have no idea what mine is called, I just used my single card move to lift up a double.
Hansen
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
653 Posts

Profile of Hansen
My favorite DL is The Instantaneous Double Lift by Dr Jacob Daley. With sufficient practice this is extremely reliable and natural-looking.
I also really like Dai Vernon's Double Lift.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I also like the snap DL Daryl does in his ambitious card video...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
cardsharpist
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of cardsharpist
I've trying the strike double for several weeks now. About 75% of the time I get 2 cards. The other 25% I come up with 3 cards. Is this normal? If I continue practicing will I ever be able to do it 100%? Or is this just too hard for most people?
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Quote:
On 2003-06-11 13:11, sc24evr wrote:
I've seen different magicians using different double lifts for their ambitious card routine. I've seen Daryl perform Larry Jennings snap double, but I believe it would be easier if he used a push off double. What do you guys things? In Ellusionist's crash2 (my friend let me borrow it; don't worry - I didn't buy it) he always uses a push off double which seems more natural. I'm just really curious what you guys use for this kind of effect, thank you

lol you have a friend who bought e's crash course...omg, isn't it embarrassing for you to have such losers as friends? Well, at least I am glad you didn't buy that crap...

Posted: Aug 19, 2006 10:48am
--------------------------------------
..Ok now honestly man, who in the blue hell cares if you bought e's crash course or not? These whole discussions about ellusionist is so unbelievably ridiculous.... man, buy whatever you want for god's sake. Does anyone here, no, let me put it in another way: does anyone on this *** planet has the right for bashing you if you had bought it? N-O!
It is so poor to see how the things around "E" has already seems to become a prestige thing. Well yes, they have their negative sites and I absolutely agree with it. High prices, the customer service is not the best and they have horrible high shipping prices and you cannot pay with Paypal. Plus, probably their worst thing: they do not give full credits sometimes.
Ok but besides that: crash course vol. 2 is one of (if not) the best source for learning a good ACR.
So stop acting like: well guys I am sorry,... I bought something from "E"....please still accept me as a human and magician...do you still think I can go to heaven?

Jah
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Maybe it's because the first double lift I ever did was with the three-card Color Monte trick 30 (gulp) years ago, but I never got in the habit of always doing the turnover. I mean, it is called "double lift," right? For a long time I'd just lift the double in Biddle grip and now, when working with a small packet, I still have a tendancy to do that. Somehow, all the various strike doubles are easier for me to do with a full deck.

I know it's a personal thing, you can do it whatever way is most natural, blah blah blah, but is it considered really bad form to do the lift without the turnover?
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Asking which DL is best for an ACR is sort of like asking which note is best for a violin sonata. Context determines everything!
dune
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dune
Scorch usually gets it right, but every magician worth his thumb-tip knows b flat is the best violin sonata note.
Alejandro Peterson
View Profile
Elite user
México
408 Posts

Profile of Alejandro Peterson
Did someone out of Spain know this double lift?

Yes it is a wonderful way to do a double lift but the atractive part is the replacement not the double lift.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best DL for Ambitious Card routine?! (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL