The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » First Xmas bazaar of the season (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Just did my first Xmas bazaar this past weekend, and wanted to share some thoughts.

First, I found that I had to tone down my pitch a bit. I was used to working outdoors all spring and summer, where I was always fighting background noise from DJ’s, generators, live bands, wind and what-have-you. Working indoors was a real pleasure – it’s much quieter!

Also found that although I did sell to a fair number of kids, I sold a lot more to parents and grandparents who were looking for stocking stuffers. So don’t ignore the little old ladies – they do buy! And even the priest bought one; he thought it was very amusing and figured he could work it into one of his Sunday School classes. I just hope it won’t be as the snake in the Garden of Eden! [He was the one person that got a private lesson in IT handling that day, I figured it was a good idea!]

I was also glad that I took Don’s tip and changed my pricing structure a little bit. I used to get $5 for each Magic Worm. Now, the price is $6 for one and $10 for 2. This may not seem like a big change, but it was significant. Now, I make a bit more on the single sales, but seem to sell a lot more doubles than I used to, because everyone thinks they’re getting a bargain. End result: even though they are basically the same price as they always were, I sell more worms.

Don, you are the MAN!! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
You should have a sign made

$6.00 each TWO for $10.00 SHOW SPECIAL Five for $20.00 Have it sitting on a photo or plate stand at the back of your table.

Also go buy some Christmas stocking at a dollar store fill them with paper and have a squirmle and Svengali deck sticking out the top.Have them hanging near the front of the joint.

Saying they make good stocking stuffers is good but a VISUAL with saying that works so much better.

Later,Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Great idea Don, thank you --- I'm off to the Dollar Store this evening!

I do have a sign with the price list, but it doesn't say "Show Special." Once again, it's a great idea and I will add "Holiday Special" to the sign. Hopefully nobody will notice that it's still special "Christmas prices" next May and June! SETH
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Hey Seth,

Though I'm still targeting the fleas, I see couple of these in my area up until
Feb at least...so I'm guessing you find these good places to pitch?
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Yes, Solrak, it's usually worth your time. Unlike a flea, the people come to spend money and they expect to pay the prices quoted, no haggling needed. Lots of parents are looking for stocking stuffers, and the magic tricks go over pretty big.

Also, after fighting the weather and the wind for a couple of months, it's a pleasure to be inside where you don't have to worry about such things.

The only downside for worm workers is that these things are usually held in school gyms or Caféterias, which always seem to have incredibly bright lighting. But if you ask for a wall space off to the side, it usually works out OK. SETH
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Worked another Xmas Bazaar yesterday, and did almost $500 in worms and decks.

These types of shows are a great deal. Being inside, there are no tents to lug around and set up, and no wind or bad weather to deal with. The kids come with their allowances, piggy banks or parents (just as good, if not better). Everyone is in a good mood and the sales are easy. Check your weekly newspapers for the Holiday Bazaar or Fundraiser listings to find them.

Now if I could just get that song "White Christmas" out of my head -- they must have played it about 50 times during the afternoon! SETH
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hello Don:

I used your idea of the Christmas Stockings hanging on the joint, it really works, a lot of people would point at them and say " HEY THESE "WOULD" MAKE GREAT STOCKING STUFFERS!!" ,and these really add holiday flash to the joint. I also made up the sign you recommended...$6.00 for one, 2 for $10.00 and 5 for $20.00, This really moves the stock. Thanks for the valuable tips Don!

ROD
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
I too used the sign and the stockings.
Jeff Wright
www.WrightEntertainment.biz
Voted Best Party Entertainer in Cleveland, Nickelodeon Parents' Picks Awards
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hello Seth:

Did a christmas Bazaar today , It was a good show and I moved a lot of cards and worms. I had to laugh at your comment about hearing White Christmas in your head after the show..with me it was WHAT CHILD IS THIS? hah Its still playing over and over in my head, they played that canned Christmas music all day. Tis the season!!!

ROD
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hey Jeff:

Great job today! I too use only Don's dvd pitch for the cards and worms, I never change it, and present it exactly as Don says, It works every time! Don's DVD is the best investment I ever made. I wish you all the best in the pitching business.

ROD
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
Thanks Rod,

I'm an improv comedian, so I can't help but make some things up as I go. I hit all the points in his script and stay pretty close for the most part.
Jeff Wright
www.WrightEntertainment.biz
Voted Best Party Entertainer in Cleveland, Nickelodeon Parents' Picks Awards
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Well, unless something else comes up, this coming weekend will probably be my last Holiday Bazaar for the year, and I will hang it all up until March. But meanwhile, there will be LOTS of Magic Worms and Svengali Decks in somebody's stockings this year!

Over the past month I worked shows for the Protestants, Catholics, Presbyterians, and Episcopalians; this weekend is a Hanukkah Bazaar. So I think I hit most of the major faiths here! Once again, this is a good opportunity to cash in on some great end-of-the-year business, without any of the hassles of working outdoors. Because these are mostly craft shows, the table fees tend to run a little higher, but it's usually worth it because the foot traffic is good and people are in a spending mood.

The only bummer about these particular events is that many other vendors bring their children with them. When those kids get bored, guess where they drift over to? Eventually they also get bored of seeing the same pitch over and over again, but in the meantime, it can be tough sometimes. The only benefit is that when they stand in front of the pitch table, they help draw a tip, but that's about it. SETH
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hello Seth:

I have been doing bazaars and craft shows this fall too, you are right, this is good end of the season business, with no tent to haul around and weather to put up with. I have shown at a pentecostal, catholic, big Lions Club show with 100 vendors ( did VERY well there) I have 2 more shows left in the season, one more catholic church bazaar this Saturday and my last show is Dec. 12 at an Eagles lodge bazaar' BOY! you hit the nail right on the head Seth, I have been over run with vendors bored kids this year. I had one little boy (His grandmother had a booth right beside me) and she was baby sitting her grandson....

She says to the kid while I am setting up...Hey Bobby look, we are set up beside a magician...The kid bugged me most of the day! To make matters worse, he told me he once had a worm he got while on vacation, and that he knew the secret. Then with each demo I did, the kid stood right by the joint telling the tip how the worm operated. (slow burn) Finally the kids Grand dad came and took him home THANK GOD ( on the bright side, his grandad bought the kid a worm , and I bagged it with about 5 knots on the bag, and said Don't open this until you get home" , they finally took him home.

Inspite of this kid spilling the beans with every pitch, I still made $200.00 and the show only ran from 9:00 am until 2:00 P. M. I made my booth rent, and a little money for the gas to get there.

I am really looking forward to the winter layoff. I don't go out again until March too. I was going down to Miami, Fla. for the winter, but had to buy a new car( unexpectly Blew trans), so there went my travel money haha.

Have a good rest of the season!

ROD
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Rod -- you are right about the vendor's kids tipping the gaff, I have had that happen too. Of course, this could happen with any kid, but in this case it's worse because it's not just a passer-by, but someone that is stuck there all day with Mom or Dad -- and you!!

I recently had a little girl who insisted upon standing right up front and loudly announcing "It's a STRING!" I guess she thought she was doing the world a favor with "Truth in Advertising" or something.

First I tried the "Be a good magician and keep a secret" bit. When that didn't work, I finally leaned over, looked at her eyeball-to-eyeball, and said to her quietly but firmly, "Look, I've seen this trick already, and so have you. But these other people haven't, so stop spoiling it for everyone else." Thank goodness she finally gave up and went away. If this keeps up, I may have to invest in one of those Hindu Sword Basket illusions or a Blade Box -- and only perform the first half of the trick. Smile

Rod, good luck with the rest of the season, and keep those worms hopping! SETH
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I can't believe what I'm hearing form you two( Seth/Rod) Letting vendor kids bother you.I only ask once than I go to the office.NEVER put up with that s***!

You're pitchman not sunday school teachers.Let them get mad at you what do you care.You are there for one reason make money NOTHING ELSE !

Come on guys...wake up and smell the toast burning...

Later,Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Hey, Don, the problem in my opinion is that in this particular situation, I have to be a little (very little) more diplomatic.
As you know, every parent thinks their kid is absolutely perfect and totally without blame, even if the kid is Jack the Ripper. Second, I have a feeling that most parents, even if they think you are right (which they won't), are not going to be real sympathetic ("Hey, it's just a little magic trick, what's the big deal?"). They don't understand that it's a business. Plus, you don't want the kid or the parents going around bad-mouthing you to other kids/parents/vendors/show organizers. So that's why I try to tread lightly if at all possible.

But I do agree that if the going got very bad, I would not hesitate to go directly to the parents and explain that their darling child was interfering with my booth, and to please entertain their child themselves. [Maybe I should add that I charge $250 an hour for babysitting?] And I agree that the next stop would be the show boss, if necessary.

Maybe after I was hassled by vendors' kids in a dozen (or a hundred) different situations, I wouldn't be so accommodating. But at least for now, I'm doing it this way, until that electric cattle prod I ordered from Cabela's arrives. Smile

In reality, this particular sort of problem is fairly rare; most kids have enough brains to just stand there and watch, or to shut up or go away if they're asked nicely but firmly. But I agree you've got to be prepared for anything and everything. SETH
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hello Don:

Yes, its hard for me to give the kid a good talking to, when his grandparents see no harm in letting him disruppt business. The Grandmother was in business with her daughter selling some kind of cheese spreads, etc. I am sure if I went over there and stood by their joint, and said THIS STUFF TASTES LIKE S+++IT they would have a fit. hahaha I had one kid, at another show earlier this year, ( a little girl) grab my two plastic cups for the worm and run off to her mothers joint,(boy that kid was quick haha) to make her worm do the same thing.( I sold a worm to the mother earlier, I bagged it and told the mother to leave it in the bag until they got home, ..yeah right!! she was ripping the bag open on her way back to her joint haha, and the kid was exposing the gimmick the rest of the day. I did go over and reclaim my cups, and said to the kid THOSE HAVE TO STAY ON MY TABLE)

Hey Seth you are right, youve got to be prepared for EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING. Its a different situation everytime I set up. I still can't understand why in the living H++ll these vendors want to bring little kids to an all day show, and expect them to set like little monkeys on performing tubs all day. SIT BOBO SIT HAHAHA Boy, I am ready for a rest !!!! Maybe I will go to Miami anyway haha

All the best!

ROD
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I've never been diplomatic to rotten kids.I'm quite rude to all concerned,the kids,the parents ect.

They all know when I'm done not to ever mess with me.

Later,Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Rod -- I think in about 75% of the cases, the kids are just being kids, they don't understand or see anything wrong with what they are doing. They think that magic is a challenge to be beaten or a puzzle to be solved, and they aren't content to just be mystified. Add to that the fact that they probably weren't taught any manners in the first place, and you have a recipe for trouble.

A small percentage of kids are actually malicious, just like there are some malicious adults (I guess the malicious kids grow up to be malicious adults!). If I get a real smart aleck, I just cut everything short and say, "Thanks for watching, the magician is taking a break now." I'm not required to perform for everybody or anybody! Then after they walk away, I start up again anyway.

And if there are particularly rotten kids (or grownups), then I agree with Don that you have to be in control of the situation, one way or the other. One of the hazards of the profession, I guess -- the performer is always "fair game." SETH
julieannjohnson
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of julieannjohnson
I'm with Don -- I can't believe you folks cut these kids or their vendor parents or grandparents ANY slack.

Like Don said -- don't bother trying to convince the vendor kid or parents -- go to the OFFICE. You have every right, as a fellow vendor, to demand that the office supports your right to control the space you have rented.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » First Xmas bazaar of the season (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL