The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » After Edinburgh 09 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Hi,

Well its been a few weeks now after getting back from Edinburgh and Ive managed to come down after the crazy number of shows and the heightened audience frenzy...I meant to interview some of the huge show guys but was so busy myself, but its still a project Im onto and it shall get done.

In the meantime...I was looking at how as magicians on the street we lose some of the crowd by not being seen by HUGE crowds(especially on the mile...)

Yes we can have a large edge at times and play a big space, but what about those times we are restricted to the size of our edge...

I remember in 07 I rolled out a 'tall table' built recklessly on a step ladder, which didn't work to well and shelved the idea. This year I took another idea, a self made ATA case style thingy that would hold my luggage and use it as the table...allowing me to incorporate a mechanism that would make the table rise to a set level thereby allowing me to play 7 or 8 rows deep. I didn't use it as it needed finishing but still the idea ws there.

The last weekend I brought into play an old aluminium table that was shoulder height , and I stepped onto a workers aluminium bench. So I was raised up and even the 9th row could see the table top, or at least see most of the action.

Some of the guys thought it may not work as to the further 'distance' between the audience and me created by the height, which is a valid point. I worked on it and we all saw that it worked. And how!!!

I only brought it out after cajoling from 'Spanner' a great clown and great guy and it rocked.

With setting the tone and connecting with the crowd and soon to become audience on the normal table, I sequed up to the 'Tall Table' and carried on building. I blocked the street so much the stewards had to motion me to bring in my edge, and that's when it happened...my edge got so much closer, at an angle to where the table top was still visible, and the space between where they were to where they ended up just got filled with audience.

A lightbulb moment if ever there was one...

I am now working on a table that packs flat, allows the close up 'audience building work' to be done and then on pulling the table back and 'flicking the switch' the table rises up to shoulder height 'as if by magic' (an cod piece of magic could be said of this) and then you carry on with the build but even more can see you.

Yes the vagries of the street will still persist, but if youre looking at conversion rates...the more people watching means that the more people will pay. Simple econmics.

Once Ive got it complete and running smooth Ill put up some pics...

Love Life and Live It...Live Life and Love It

Vernon
AKA
James James
AKA
The Tartan Trickster
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Nice idea! Something for the tinker to think about. I'll love to see pictures of the table but also the edge.

Thanks for sharing your great ideas!

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
From your post it seems a question of visibility !

In such conditions where larger than the norm crowds are gathered would`nt ditching the table be sensible ? Then working from your pockets or a pouch while stood on something even if its only two feet off of the ground level would be seen by a crowd of 2000 or more.

My stage unit gives me an extra 18" only but that's enough to make me be seen by crowds of monstrouse size.
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Its a work in progress at the moment and pics etc will be posted...re ditching the table...good idea...but what happened in Edinburgh on the mile this year was such a beatiful thing...it was like a sea of people...and its this that keeps on inspiring me...

Thanks for your thoughts and support though...

James James
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
It is a new Idea, and people have not seen a 8' tall magi before. this will by its self help draw a crowd. holding them is still up to you.

the one thing that I would be concerned with is when the people move up they are at an odd angel, kinda like when kids sit in the front row looking up at you.

Love to see photos of the working setup when it happens.

Big crowds ROCK! Smile
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Is this the sort of thing your looking to do
http://www.bananabrainfunshows.co.uk/magicshows.htm Think that`s the link !

Worked with him several times on the outside show run.

Ken.
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the link...love the marketing idea...the Worlds Tallest magic Show...
What Im putting together though is a podium table with a hydraulic lift in the upright, so that the table can be used as is on normal! level and if and when the 'crowd' gets bigger I will get up a step, flick the 'switch' and the tbel will rise up to my new working level, all the whilst connecting with the audience.

The construction will be easy to assemble, pack flat and enable everyone from the back row to the front see the'action' Of course, one has to be able to hold the audience anyway, this is just a tool to help in the growing of a larger audience when the width of the pitch is limited, as it is in Edinburgh on the small alcove pitches.

Someone photographed the reckless table on a step ladder in 07 and I'm hoping it will upload...Yup it uploaded, what happened this year is that the audience got closer and filled up quite a bit of the empty space showing between the performance and the edge. Of course if they move in too close they could have problems seeing the top of the table but this year they moved in just as far as they needed to without craning their necks.

In using it(when its complete) it would be advantageous to incorporate a water line just proud enough of the perfoming area so that the audience are comfortable.

I do like the idea of the intimacy of a table show, and want to increase the numbers of people that can see the 'action'...

Hope you like the pic

Watch this space...

JJ

Click here to view attached image.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Very nice pic, great angle of your bottom. Smile
Mario
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
That's very novel !

I remember seeing Daniels long before he made it big,,working at the Brunel Rooms in Swindon. He did the KB Chop Cup and yep it could be seen all round. After the gig we spoke about this and his (Kens) reasoning was the white ball against the green table top + the patter alone held the interest and made up for the visibility loss.

Another method would be for you to work lower (Ie Indian street workers) With the first six rows of speckies sitting on the ground, the next six rows kneeling and the rest, standing behind them !!!

Or better still, only work areas with an auditorium cum basin area !!!

Ken.
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Like the idea of folks sitting down, certainly creates intimacy...with the flow of the mile particularly though and being hard hitting the tall table worked.
Any option is open to try and get as much in over the shortest period...especially during heavy flows that the mile has...
Always good to hear of different ideas

Cheers
JJ
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Tried to get this picture up on here but cant seem to make it work too well, hope the moderators are okay with it...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=33......38021388
Cheers

JJ
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Now that is a bloody audiance, glad to see yu hidding yu bottom.
Mario
PS How does this show the working's of your ladder?
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Hi Mario...

doesn't show the tall table but just the traffic flow that's there and in my experience only about 2 or 3 rows pay(mostly) and I want to have a higher conversion rate for a show that size...The Tall Table did work when I got it going(no pics from Edin on it) but the hat was amazing...Best Ive ever done on that pitch...
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Shuld be getting the materials together next week...but the sun is out and the streets are paved with gold...must make time...must make time...must make time...

JJ
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Got some of the materials and shuld have the back broken on it shortly...will be posting pics and scuh on my blog and eslewhere... http://thetartantrickster.blogspot.com/

Cheers

JJames
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » After Edinburgh 09 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL