The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPealing or APPalling? » » IForce by Greg Rostami (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Here are some more of my thoughts:

Giving three methods was a great idea. I am using and loving all three. Each method you use cancels the other out, so the spectators have no possible method in their heads.

I love how this is can be opened up and be used as a normal Doodle application. The problem I had with both iSensor and the P&T application is that when they open the application the and watch the device the method is apparent. In iForce it's not.

I do think there are some problems with this, though. Because of the nature of a Doodle application, there is a chance a spectator might play around with it, and open up the "secret." Obviously the method will show and they will learn it's not a normal Doodle application. I think a new way to access the "secret" should be made.

Also, since the name of this application on iTunes is iForce (Codename: Doodle) when a spectator searches "Doodle" in their device or iTunes this will come up. Then they will know it's a magic application and may buy it just to taunt you with the method. I've had more than one person find the application. If the name was just "iForce" this problem would be solved.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
That happened to me too.

Both my grand-daughter and an adult have found it at Apple's store.

It's probably easier for a new Flash Screen and icon to be assigned. If these show another name, like "drawmaster" or "squizzle" or something OTHER THAN DOODLE, then the problem is solved.

For now, I'm getting around it by making sure the Flash Screen at the beginning has passed before proceeding. I've had my wizz-bang programmer assign a replacement icon called "squizzle" to solve the icon problem.

Ben
PS: Price it at $12.99 and put it in the Premier App Shop and all problems are solved! LOL
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
eddierush
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of eddierush
Jprace and Ben - I would hazard to guess that the reason people might be motivated to look for the app in the iTunes store is because too much focus is placed on the app itself.

What I mean is ... how many times has anyone wondered if the sharpie or pad you are using to perform a revelation is gimmicked. Ok, maybe once or twice for some of you but for the most part those items are normally not suspect.

If I may suggest - never say, "I have this app that ..." or "I'm going to use this app to ..." Instead, take out your device and start the app to use as you virtual pen and pad ... as an afterthough. Don't make a big deal about the app. Don't focus on it. Before the iPod Touch, I wouldn't say, "hey I got this neat pen and pad here that I can use to predict any number you are thinking of. Look it's blank and I can draw on it" This way it becomes just another tool that we in the 21st century now use (just like sending text messages from you phone instead of simply calling to talk) to write things down.

Will this work 100% of the time. No, but pretty close to it. I think it's a fine app. Very different in nature from the other app I use - Rising Card. With that app, the focus is on the app and people can find and buy that app just as easily.

By the way, this is the same reason that I use regular Bicycle cards when performing for laymen and my Split Spades, Ghost deck, etc ... when hanging with other magicians.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
http://magiceddie.wordpress.com
http://friendsofthemagi.org
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
The difference here is that this is technology. People with an iPhone or iPod Touch know of its capabilities. When you introduce technology to magic, everything changes.

Of course I do not present it as a magic application... that would be pointless considering they would think it was just iPod magic. I present it as something to write down my thoughts. But still, I have had people think it is the application doing the magic.
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
I've had a tech-savvy person (who has a lot of apps on his Iphone) hit on both methods. Anyone find someone like I did? I did fool the wife and her friend though. Both were amazed that I read their mind. Smile
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Hi VcosNJ,

I have a recommendation for your tech-savvy friends. Get yourself a crazy cube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zpYoCUwEM4

And then use method THREE to show the outcome of the die. This way the reveal (punch line, moment of magic, etc.) is when the spectator opens the canister to see which side of the die is up.

In general, method THREE is the most powerful method to use for tech-savvy spectators since they realize that THEY are the ones that are interfacing with the iPhone, NOT YOU.

Hi eddierush,
I completely agree with your statements:
"take out your device and start the app to use as you virtual pen and pad ... as an afterthough."

On the "Typical Performance" video of the iForce instructions, you've probably noticed how I introduce iForce. Here is my typical patter when I introduce "Doodle":

"Have you ever heard of 'subconscious forcing' . . . You haven't? It's some really freaky stuff . . . you can FORCE someone to think certain things based on HOW you ask them . . . Let me show you what I mean."

I bring out my iPhone and proceed.

"I use to carry pen & paper with me ALL the time . . . but ever since these things came out (hold up the iPhone), I don't have to."

"I use this free "Doodle" program to jot down quick notes . . . it's great . . . I don't have to type on the darn keyboard . . . it's fast, and when you quit, it remembers what you'd drawn on the screen." I do all these things as I'm talking about them.

"So let me show you how I can FORCE thoughts into your mind . . ."

Please notice how I talk about a strange psychological phenomenon BEFORE I ever introduce the iPhone. Notice how I call the iPhone "these THINGS". I try to use NON techy language as much as I can.

I hope these suggestions will help your future performances of iForce.
Greg Rostami
eddierush
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of eddierush
Greg - I like the crazy cube idea.

I use the iForce (iDoodle that is) in conjunction with a card effect.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
http://magiceddie.wordpress.com
http://friendsofthemagi.org
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Hello friends,

I just purchased Ben Harris' brilliant "Crossroads".

As Ben has stated in his previous posts, the combination of "Crossroads" and "iForce" is VERY powerful.

Here is the effect:

"I'm going to predict the card that you'll choose."

You write the card on the iPhone (iForce) . . .
Have your spectators name a card (Crossroads) . . .
When you flip over the iPhone their freely selected card is written on the iPhone (iForce) . . .

I can't think of CLEANER card prediction . . . THIS IS REALLY GOOD!!

I've already showed this to some people that I'm still amazing with iForce and it played VERY well.

Thank you Ben . . . You ROCK!!
Greg Rostami
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Greg,

Have you considered releasing just the "Doodle" drawing program as a free application? That would send some secret-seekers off the scent?
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Hi Philemon,

As Randy and I attempt to hide the Doodle part of iForce from the secret-seekers here is what we've done for you so far.

Randy convinced Apple to change the icon for iForce when you do a search for Doodle. It's REALLY amazing that Apple has agreed to help us with this matter since changing the icon goes against their App distribution policies. This tells me that somebody at Apple really like iForce also . . .

The icon change means when someone looks for "Doodle" on the App store, they will not see a "Doodle" icon; they will see a iForce icon. When this happened even I had a tough time spotting our program on the search list (and I made the iForce graphic).

This is only our first step. We have some other exciting news for our magician friends coming up regarding hiding "Doodle" from your audience . . .

stay tunned,
Greg Rostami

P.S. As we continue to help the magic community hide the secrets of iForce, could you also please do us a favor?

Write comments on the App store, rate iForce, comment on the videos on YouTube, post about iForce on other magic forums. Help Randy and I with this product so that we can continue to develop amazing magic Apps for the iPhone. As I've stated in a previous post . . . iForce was idea number THREE . . . wait until you see idea number ONE & TWO . . .
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi Greg,

It is a killer combination. (iForce/CrossRoads). I'm having so much fun with it.

Ben
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
The icon has not changed. I think this is a big issue.
"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."
Randy Croucher
View Profile
New user
Camas, WA
43 Posts

Profile of Randy Croucher
It could take a while for the icon to make it to the iPhone version of the App Store. It looks like it has changed in iTunes on my computer already.

-Randy
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1378 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
Having seen a lot of terrible apps,my hopes of something useable ever appearing for the iphone weren't high. However this is brilliant - highly recommended.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I love having people examine my iPod right after. Also, a lot of my friends like to doodle, and this is the app they go to. So it would be cool if you can have a 'lock' feature, where the move to get to the secret is deactivated.

In the Settings section on your device it gives you options to change specific features on applications such as Facebook, P&T Chat, etc... Maybe iForce can be added to that list and have a secret activate/deactivate button. I think that would really help, and putting it on doesn't hurt anyone!
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Hello friends,

As I've said in a previous post, Randy and I are VERY concerned about keeping iForce's secrets safe within the magic community.

Tonight, Randy and I submitted to Apple a program called "Doodle" under a new company name called "Recreation Software". That means that we had to pay Apple $100 to establish ourselves as another company with completely different Apps then Rostami Magic. We wanted to make sure that we where going to do EVERYTHING in our power to hide the iForce side of Doodle from the secret-seekers.

The icon and splash screen for Doodle look EXACTLY like your current "iForce/Doodle" program.

Doodle is nothing more then a simple doodling program . . . THAT'S IT.

We basically ripped out all of the iForce code, which leaves behind nothing more then a simple sketch program.

So . . . the next time you're performing iForce for someone, and they decide to look up "Doodle" on the App store, they WILL find a "Doodle" program that does exactly what it says . . . it let's you doodle on the screen.

It's going to take Apple about 2 weeks to approve this App. We're guessing less then a week since it's so simple.

We hope that this will satisfy your concerns about secret-seekers and show you that we're listening to your suggestions and concerns.

We want iForce to be your favorite magic App, and we'll do everything in our power to make sure that you're 100% happy.

All the best to you,
Greg Rostami
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Bwahahaha!

Was it something I said? Smile
That Creepy Magician
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Quote:
Was it something I said? Smile
Randy had the idea of releasing just a Doodle App a day before your post.

GREAT minds think alike . . .

Greg
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

No worries. I'm just glad that it got done. :-D
That Creepy Magician
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Greg:

This program is phenomenal. I saw your Café ad, checked the app out on iStore and saw Bob Kohler's testimonial. So I called Bob and he confirmed that the program is great.

As a coin guy, I love the 3 coin flipping preset. Even though there are only eight permutations, I tell people that the statistical chance of flipping heads or tails on one coin is always 50/50. But when you do it with three coins there are hundreds of combinations, which is a lie, there is only 8, but people go with it, and it makes that trip even more impossible.

I did have one guy that owns an iPhone think that it had something to do with the way I was picking the phone up, until of course, I did the trick exiting the app and having the phone stay face up Smile

Diabolical program Greg.
Click to visit:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPealing or APPalling? » » IForce by Greg Rostami (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL