The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » My general review of some of Jay Sankey's DVD's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1570 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingSteveo
I have purchased quite a few DVD's from Jay Sankey in the past and do many of his effects (Holy Moly - Stretch being one of them) ..

I recently re-watched a few of his DVD's tonight .. ones that I watched many years ago. Since I have been become a much more mature magician .. about 12 years now doing many corporate shows, weddings etc. .. and after reviewing these DVD's tonight .. I can HONESTLY say that Jay Sankey is a freakin GENIUS! There is stuff on these DVD's that blew right past me many years ago that I am definitely going to incorporate as a staple in my magic now.

I have one of those 400 DVD players and currently have about 300 magic DVD's in the player -- many of them from L&L. I suggest you re-watch many of your DVD's that you have over and over again as time goes on .. and pick up new ideas that may just blow right past you the first time that you watched them -- because you were not ready for them.

I am VERY grateful we have someone like Jay as a teacher -- the guy is a workhorse in developing, refining and teaching his ideas.

Thank you Jay!

- Steve
Wolfenout
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Wolfenout
His genius is that he can really think from the spectators point of view and what it is they would like. I love Sankey. It's not all gold of course, but he has a lot of great working routines and ideas.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1586 Posts

Profile of Futureal
His L+L "Very Best Of" set has some brilliant stuff on it. Others are more hit and miss.
mamutrance
View Profile
New user
Ireland, living in London!
46 Posts

Profile of mamutrance
There's definitely a mix of hit and miss dvds from Jay, but the 'Very Best Of' set is awesome!
MagicManJL
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of MagicManJL
Another awesome DVD of his is "Kaleidoscope". I was at one of his lectures recently, and almost everything he did was from the DVD. Completely amazing but extremely easy to do.
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1312 Posts

Profile of bond19
Front Row Sankey..

Very workable and mind blowing stuff.. PURE GOLD!!
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2317 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I agree. I have recently RE PURCHASED some Sankey titles that I sold a few years ago. I don't think my mind was ready for the type of material that he was giving away in the DVDs.

Now that I am a worker of 2 restaurants, corporate shows, and other events, I see so much potential that really elevates my magic. For example, his "Blackpool" effect, I totally blew right past that the 1st time I saw it. Told myself I would never be interested or people wouldn't care for it... boy was I wrong.

I learned how to do it, and it was just beautiful as I realized it's potential, and the way people eat it up... is just gold!

My favorite titles: Secret Files 1&2, Front Row Sankey, "Best of" Card Magic.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
By the way, it would seem Jay is just about due for a new video release...
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
mamutrance
View Profile
New user
Ireland, living in London!
46 Posts

Profile of mamutrance
Doesn't he release 1 new DVD a week? Smile
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
589 Posts

Profile of mayniac
Quote:
On 2009-11-04 20:13, daffydoug wrote:

Yep, he's coming out with a trick called Lockdown tonight actually. Smile
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2994 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
I just watched his "Bigger Finish" DVD the other night. It really impressed me on several levels. First and most importantly, it's a great effect.

Second, he included way more information on the DVD than he needed to. He could've put one, maybe two handlings on the DVD and left it at that; most probably would have felt they got their money's worth. But Sankey really seems to want to give you as much information as possible. There were no wasted words on the DVD, but you're left feeling that you really had a good look inside Jay's head and he gave you pretty much every useful thought he's had about the effect and it's implications.

Third, I really like his manner of speaking, as if he already knows you and he's just sharing some good info with you on the "downlow." Although he can be a wildman, Jay never comes across as arrogant; most often he seems like a passionate guy who's really interested in sharing his ideas.

I know some say that Sankey releases some cr*p as well, and that may be true, but let's face it, even the Beatles released some cr*p music from time to time (ie, "Why Don't We Do It In the Road"). That doesn't mean they weren't geniuses - just that they were human after all.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Quote:
On 2009-11-05 19:06, mayniac wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-11-04 20:13, daffydoug wrote:

Yep, he's coming out with a trick called Lockdown tonight actually. Smile

What is that trick?
~Joe
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Thank you. I was looking on the magic sites.

I can't do torn and restored cards, but this looks magical and doable.
~Joe
doubletime
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of doubletime
Hey steveo - whatever happened to your ubt - I lvoed the sound of it
GMakl
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of GMakl
I own most of the DVDs Jay has put out and really like them because as a hobbyest, many of his effects are easy to perform. I would like to recommend to everyone his DVD, "Boris Pocus: Extremely Mental." It contains the usual collection of really good effects - but the extra bonus is that it is so *** funny. Boris Pocus is Sankey impersonating a Soviot bloc magician - compete with wig, and thick Russian accent. The laughs are non stop! I may not know magic - but I know comedy and this is really great.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » My general review of some of Jay Sankey's DVD's (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL