The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Finally! My FIRST gig! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
I live inside your computer.
1243 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Quote:
On 2009-11-02 00:27, Joe Mauro wrote:
Did he get the gig? Very difficult to do without the experience, I would imagine.

Can't get experience without a first gig. If it turns out to be a "no," who cares? On to the next one. This is sales. 10% closed sales is considered great. That means you have to hear "no" nine times to be doing great. You can even hear "no" much more than this and still do just fine with proper persistence.

The biggest secret to sales?

Know what you are selling inside and out. Use this knowledge to seek out people who already want it. Be ok with hearing "no." If you are not hearing "no," you are not selling.
Jeff Travilla - Author of "The Extractor." I work in advertising and marketing now. If you are a professional worker and need marketing help, feel free to contact my company. JCM Media Group.
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
Very true, in magic as well as anything else. In my other persona as a writer, I've collected two drawers full of rejection slips. Just part of the game.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
Well, I just got off the phone with the GM, and, he told me that it wouldn't work out. Apparently the owner said that there wasn't enough money in the budget for somethign like this, which seems pretty much ridiculous to me, but I guess that's the way the dice rolled.
Anyway, when I went in, it was rather slow. There were maybe 7 tables that had people at them while I was there. The people that I performed for seemed to have a lot fun, and I did as well. I had decided to leave Greed at home, so my usual table set went as follows:

1 coin routine, with the coin transforming into a deck of cards at the end.
Just a simple find 4 of a kind with a stripper deck.
A Pen through Bill routine I created and/or a rattle bars routine
And then ending with sponge balls.

All in all, it was pretty good, and I'm glad I got to go in, even if it was just for an hour. The biggest bummer was that this was probably the last restuarant I'll get to try for a while, but there's one more I may try out. Anyway, thanks for all the support, everyone. Maybe Next time,
JIMC64
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
Quote:
On 2009-11-04 15:10, JIMclubber64 wrote:
Well, I just got off the phone with the GM, and, he told me that it wouldn't work out. Apparently the owner said that there wasn't enough money in the budget for something like this, which seems pretty much ridiculous to me due to my very low fee, but I guess that's the way it goes sometimes.
Anyway, when I went in, it was rather slow. There were maybe 7 tables that had people at them while I was there. The people that I performed for seemed to have a lot fun, and I did as well. I had decided to leave Greed at home, so my usual table set went as follows:

1 coin routine, with the coin transforming into a deck of cards at the end.
Just a simple find 4 of a kind with a stripper deck.
A Pen through Bill routine I created and/or a rattle bars routine
And then ending with sponge balls.

All in all, it was pretty good, and I'm glad I got to go in, even if it was just for an hour. The biggest bummer was that this was probably the last restuarant I'll get to try for a while, but there's one more I may try out. Anyway, thanks for all the support, everyone. Maybe Next time,
JIMC64
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Keep it up. If you had a good time doing the demo, you'll have just as much fun at another restaurant that will be able to use you. Congratulations on a great effort!

Thanks,
Richard
Victor Ian Smith
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
66 Posts

Profile of Victor Ian Smith
Remember...each time you go through something like this you learn a little bit more. You should still consider it a success because you did get to perform in the setting and know what that is like.

You ARE getting closer to landing your first gig!!

Good luck!!
"Do what you love...

...and you will never work a day of your life"

- Confucius
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2013 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
You not getting the gig was a blessing in disguise, as based on your post you were not ready this type of venue. Anyone ready for this type of gig already knows the answer to those questions. Here are just a few of the resources that you need to buy:

Live at the Jailhouse

The Magic Menu (3 volumes)

The Restaurant Reader

The Art of Hoppping Tables

The Real Work on Restaurant and Bars

Restaurant Worker's Handbook

Restaurant Magic Business CD

Menu of Miracles

And maybe Bruce Kalver's guide, but I do not own it yet.

That is just off the top of my head. All of these helped me tremendously. I also recommend you study business and marketing if you have not, and get Jim Snack's Success In Magic Course. Maybe your rate was too high for the restaurant as well? Eventually, when ready, you will land the gig.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Finally! My FIRST gig! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL