The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to learn magic trick the best way? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I have found "The Ostrich Factor" to be a great help in learning how to break an effect down and learn it thoroughly and easily:

http://www.geraldedmundson.com
http://www.sidestreetcircus.com
THE OSTRICH FACTOR: A Practice Guide for Magicians
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Well, answering jusa's question, at the moment I don't have a plan to be a magician. Because I know the truth foundation of being a magician is sleight of hand. And sleight of hand is a lifetime skill and dedication. It's like painting. No instant process that could allow someone to achieve it within months time.

As I also don't have any kind of sleight, I do magic tricks as hobby. I realize it somehow challenges me to be creative, to improvise things and planning scripts or patters. I enjoy designing a short performance for my co-workers. I even already got some short routines, I just need a scotch and soda Smile

Anyway, I will read whatever I need to read. Hopefully I would get much insight to overcome my tacky movement.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9003 Posts

Profile of funsway
There are many effects that do not require special sleights, and are beyond the
self-working kind. As I have lost most mobility of my hands due to arthritus and palsy I have had to find alternative mothods of doing what I used to accomplish with sleights. The result has sometimes been a better effect that the one I did previoulsy.

So, find effects you both like and can do -- then just do it. You may find the audience cares more for 'your' magic that you can imagine.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at Lybrary.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
315 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Quote:
On 2009-10-28 20:58, Josh Riel wrote:
There's some difference in beliefs about making your magic "original". Personally, my greatest hurdle was me. I took lots of great magic and contorted them so that they were "mine".

As time progressed, after developing many bad habits I came to understand the problem.

Something that would definitely be worth reading (And I wish I had this way back then) is Whit Haydn's "Against Originality in Magic"

The link is to another topic in the Café' from 2003.

Lots of words, but they are good. I would suggest every beginning magician to read this, it is worth so much more than simply telling you to be different, or to stand out.

After reading this I watched Pop Haydn perform the linking rings on video. Even though it's such a classic and I know exactly how he does it, it was such a joy to watch.... A fantastic performance that needed nothing new.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

I would love to learn sleight, but sometimes we now rely on gimmick too. So I thought I would just focus on double life and pinky break. I would love to learn false cut, EC, etc.
Ruldar
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Ruldar
I am trying to focus on the basics, but allow myself one gimmick trick per set. (I only entertain my family, but they seem to enjoy it). I figure with the basic sleights down I can add in more gaffs later, but if I rely on them now I will never be any good.
Just my approach.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Same as me here. Basic sleight with simple gaff still do a kicker result.
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
315 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Yeah I like the gaffs but am slowly making my way through the Royal Road and praticing the sleights.... still very early stages but I have already learnt a few moves that will be killer when put into action and will leave people wondering how you could of "fully shuffled the cards" yet still pluck the desired cards out from wherever you want them to be. None of them are as difficult as I would of thought either (so far), though I'm yet to pull them off in front of people lol........
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to learn magic trick the best way? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL