The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » UpsideDown Practice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Does anyone have any ideas on how to practice upside straitjacket escapes safely?

I was thinking of rigging something up in our garage with pulleys, but having never hung upsidedown before, wasn't sure what the best way of securing my feet was ...

Thanks,

James.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5271 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Go to your local sporting goods store and buy a pair of “Gravity Boots”. They come with a bar that is screwed into a doorframe. Then hook-up, hang, and practice. You will still need a person or two to help you get there.

Check out: http://www.gravity-boots.com/ for a source.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Harry,

That's great. Thank-you!!

James.
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Hey James, if money is no object, where you buy the gravity boots they also sell a gravity inversion table. I think that they run around $350.00 USD and they are great for getting used to being upside down. The best part about it, is that you can go upside down and rightside up on your own with very little training. You can also practice in the comfort and privacy of your own living room.

These things also fold flat and take up no more room than an ironing board. I actually take this thing along for my larger shows and do the SJ escape upside down. You're only about two feet off the ground but I usually get a great reaction from the audience anyway. It's not as dramatic as being hoisted up with a pully but this thing sets up in about three minutes.

You probably will need at least one other person to assist you going upside down with your jacket on, which you would need to get into the jacket anyway so it wouldn't matter. But once you have the jacket off you can right yourself without assistance. You can also take a look at these things on line if you're totally unfamiliar with them. Hope this helps you out.

Tony Parisi
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Ah ... if only money was no object! Smile

Ummm ... any one know of any cheaper (homemade) safe ways of suspending oneself??

Sorry Harry, but I hadn't seen the price tag! Smile

James.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
This was recommended to me....it may get you some strange looks, though. Go to a playground and just hang from one of the jungle gyms for the kiddies! It may not give you the proper methods for the feet, but it will at least get you used to what it feels like hanging upside down.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
James how much are the boots, you might also want to get some mats on the floor, you might be able to rig up pipe to hang upside down. Don,
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Don,

The gravity-boots with a basic inversion bar are UK£165.

Regards,

James.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
James what about just buying the boots. and making your own inversion bar. Don,
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Don,

The bar is about £15 ... it's the boots that cost!!

I'd rather make the boots and buy the bar! Smile

James.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Sounds dangerous, I'm not too kean on concusions, I don't know about you though.....

I would reccommend buying them!
VampOfVegas
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
56 Posts

Profile of VampOfVegas
There is always ebay that you can find the boots. Then you can buy a pull up bar that fits between the door frame. Just a thought.
-=:Va(v)p:=-
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Jail Cell cage out in the garage? Well, maybe I'm strange, but how cool is that?
Tony Parisi Smile

Sorry that last one was meant for another board.
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
I practice with an electric winch I have attached to the ceiling of my garage. You obviously need someone to operate the buttons however. Smile
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2249 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Pastor Clyde!!! Your alive!!! Good to see you back!!!!!

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
USD Issues:
1) Practice simply being upside down.
2) Work toward extending the amount of time you can stay upside down without getting "fuzzy"
3) Always use the best, safest gear you can arrange for. And frankly, if you cant afford something truly trustworthy...select another exciting less crippling act for now.
4) don't forget you have to get down as well as up. Helpers are necessary unless you have a rig that lets you come down feet first. Helpers can also spot you if you stay inverted too long and get dizzy or even pass out. Some folks are much better than others at the USD game. So don't be found by the UPS man two days later trying to deliver your new strait jacket. Its humiliating.
5) Be careful. Lots of EA and other performers do USD things but its still a dangerous thing to do even if it has become somewhat more familiar to us. Hurt happens.
6) Proper Preperation Prevents Poor Performance. (old piano teacher mantra)
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » UpsideDown Practice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL