The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Hoops over floating objects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
I have been trying to find different ways to create the illusion of "no strings" recently, and so I am finding various ways to make a hoop appear to go around an object.

There are several methods that I know of:

- Swivel the hoop under and around quickley
- Magnetic hoops I created with micro holes
- Horizontal threads so you can pass a hoop across and along it.

I do believe there is something called a Miracle Hoop, which I have recently read about on here. I have no idea how it works, or how expencive a small one would be, or if I could make my own somehow. But if someone could help me, I would appreciate it.

Tom
xx
I come from the future to culture you poor sods with fire.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1307 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
For heaven's sake, you don't need hoops. You could just as well use a silk and form a hoop with it, that's what I do. Whats the point in overdoing things? If you do tablehopping, and float someone's napkin, an impromptu thing, a conveniently handy hoop is just not logical. Why not take 3 knives and make a quick triangle hoop with them.

And if you have created "magnetic hoops with micro holes", why on earth would you need anything else??? Would love to see the magnetic, micro-holed hoop by the way, I am sure others would too.

For someone who claims to be fast learner, incredible creator and all around most talented guy there is, you ask an awful lot of stupid questions.

I have said it, others have said it, spending 20 pounds in a magic shop does NOT make you a magician. Study and read.
Sent from my Typewriter
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
I have, unfortunetly at the moment the holes are large enough to see close-up, and so they are only suitable for stage shows. But it was surprisingly easy to build (love my dad Smile) The gap is only about 1cm on either side, but it works well enough. I suppose in theory it could be done for parlor work, but the precision required would demand computer controlled hoop positioning - which is just ridiculously complicated.

"For someone who claims to be fast learner, incredible creator and all around most talented guy there is, you ask an awful lot of stupid questions."

I said I was a fast learner, but your just making those last two up!

How come I get accused of being arrogant, when all I did was cut two holes in a metal hoop and magnetize it? I don't pretend to know the secrets of magic deeply, but that's why I ask Smile
Silver_Fang
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio
282 Posts

Profile of Silver_Fang
Your right Eshla, sorry mvmagic your not unprofessional enough to let what you say effect him. mvmagic you are obviously more professional thus your advice means nothing to him.

Eshla just use your body and presentation you do not need bells and whistles.
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
I genuinely am confused by that last post...?

I'm not sure if its my inability to sense sarcasm or something, but I don't get what you are trying to say.

I think I seem to be being mocked for my interest in the technical side of illusion, which is not something I expected if I am honest. Either that, or people are ridiculing me for some other reason which I do not understand at all.

Tom
xx
Silver_Fang
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio
282 Posts

Profile of Silver_Fang
I'll be completely honest with you the first part I was mocking you, not being sarcastic in anyway.

The second part was my advice, you do not need the bells and whistles to convey to an audience that there object is floating.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1307 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
In fact, I don't make things up. You have spoken very highly of yourself ("I have more new ideas more often than most people"). You have implied a lot.

It seems that you are totally stuck on certain thoughts and ideas and no matter what anyone says, you just don't listen. I just said that you don't need a hoop and you babble about precision engineering and yadda yadda... You ask for advice and if its not what you expected, then its no good.

And you got two holes in a metal hoop? So you have now like two half-hoops? Or did you cut a piece away? Or did your dad? So you have invented the key ring from chinese linking rings all over again?

I will say it one more time. You don't need a hoop! Watch Kevin James do floating rose and there is no hoops! that's why everyone keeps telling you about the importance of presentation because that can give you so much more than just the technical side. If you cant convince people that you can float a napkin without a precision-engineered metal hoop, I don't think you should do magic at all.

Stick to acting, you're brilliant at it!
Sent from my Typewriter
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
"And you got two holes in a metal hoop? So you have now like two half-hoops? Or did you cut a piece away? Or did your dad? So you have invented the key ring from chinese linking rings all over again?"

I used the tools at my dads factory to remove a section of the ring, this section was quite thin, and then I sanded the ends down. This way, when placed back into the ring, it was about 2cm too short. Then it was a simple matter of magnetizing the whole steel ring with my dads electron magnets (those things once took a guys finger off apparently) , and painting the whole thing with brown spray paint to make it look nice.

This "suspends" the middle section in between the other sections of the hoop, and allows for two wires to pass freely between the spaces. The spaces are too be for close-up work however, but the hoop is designed for parlor/stage stuff. Why two strings you might ask? So I can put it inside my perspex box of course! Smile

I just thought it was an interesting idea, and so I made it easily and it cost nothing, because all the materials were on hand. Don't accuse me of being a bad magician for experimenting.

Of course I would never use it on the floating rose, and for the majority of my levitation's I use either just my fingers to prove there are no strings, or a single perspex hoop which I have float off my arm and across, floating over the object. This always gives a good "WOW" factor.

Tom
xx
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1307 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Quote:
On 2009-10-26 18:16, Eshla wrote:
This "suspends" the middle section in between the other sections of the hoop, and allows for two wires to pass freely between the spaces.

Now that left me speechless. Feel free to post a video of that.

Quote:
for the majority of my levitation's I use either just my fingers to prove there are no strings, or a single perspex hoop which I have float off my arm and across, floating over the object. This always gives a good "WOW" factor.

You have just recently gotten some invisible thread and now, all of a sudden you do a lot of shows and do some pretty incredible things... And you contradict yourself daily...

You're either trying to pull everyone's leg really bad or have some serious mental issues...
Sent from my Typewriter
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
1. I do have serious mental issues, but they are nothing to do with magic.

2. I will try and post a video of it soon if I can. I'm sure its already been invented though.

3. I've IT for AGES now, my favorite system being the Tarantula - though horizontal hookups work better when you have more setup time.

And by the way, doesn't the maxim apply whereby "if you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything at all"?
Somehow it seems not too. And please don't insult my mental health. I have problems communicating with people, and always will do; but I am also always careful to try and not insult them. Usually I admit I tend to fail, my inability to see things from another's perspective hinders me a lot, but I do try not to antagonize.

All I ask is that you try and grant me the same respect.

Tom
xx
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1307 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Quote:
On 2009-10-26 19:55, Eshla wrote:
I have problems communicating with people, and always will do; but I am also always careful to try and not insult them. Usually I admit I tend to fail, my inability to see things from another's perspective hinders me a lot, but I do try not to antagonize.

Well that is very apparent from your posts. I am all for young people interested in magic, but you are most of time unable to take in the advice professionals offer when you ask and instead cling on to things so maybe you should consider whether you must ask in the first place or not.

You see, in many posts you come across as a mere troll. I just read your post about you having Asperger's, had I read that before I never would have used such an expression, which was uncalled for and I apologize. If its Asperger's, your style of communicating does make perfect sense. And I realise, especially in written form there is a great risk for misunderstandings.
Sent from my Typewriter
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
Thank you, lets not argue anymore, it makes little baby panda's cry Smile

Tom
xx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Hoops over floating objects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL