The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Multilation Effects for Kids, (When do you start?) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
I was doing a birthday show for 6 and 7 year olds and, of course, I followed the rule and left my arm chopper in the van. As soon as I was ushered into the rec room, several of the kids asked, "Will you please cut off my arm?"

Even the mother paying me said that Billy had been hoping to have his arm cut off since his older brother had his recently cut off by another magician. Fortunately, I had the arm chopper in my van and brought it in.

The show was a real hit and none of the kids thought it was real and they assured me that they were not going to go home and try it. I've been asked back to perform for seven of their eight kids. I would have been called the eighth time, only they moved out of province.

I still don't like this effect for kids younger than 8. Am I old-fashioned or simply out of touch with today's generation?

Darryl the Wizard Smile
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
shaky
View Profile
New user
Dorset, U.K.
79 Posts

Profile of shaky
Hi

I use the wrist chopper a lot during my shows and all the kids love it. I always get one of the adults to assist me which I turn into a comedy effect, during which he/she is blindfolded with a comedy mask which lets the kids know is not really dangerous. It is always a real hit in my show. Hope this helps.

Paul
SloMo150
View Profile
Regular user
Speedway, Indiana
121 Posts

Profile of SloMo150
You may be a little old fashioned. Kids today are more exposed to violence and mayhem. Video games are really explicit and todays prime time TV shows are just as bad. Although I agree with you, the bottom line is that some parents will let their kids watch and do anything they want.
Smile SloMo
Hey wanna see me pull a rabbit from my hat, (lion appears). I gotta get a new Hat.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Here's the real scope related to Danger Stuff with kids.

When it comes to fire, on-stage magical fire is fine, no matches but instant fire like fire bowls and fire books and shooting fire flash paper are OK, maybe OK in the home if it is presented properly (ie Fire Bowl, Fire Book, but not shooting flash paper gimmicks.)

I disagree with the authors of numerous text that say do not do head choppers, sawing or the like with kids. I agree with them for daycare kids but not school kids. The key is to make it fun and comical. Never alude to really cutting off the arm or head. Danger tricks are fine, really great, only if presented in a safe, fun, manner. Darryls example is a good one.

I do not like guillotines which have an element or real risk should something go wrong. Visable Table Sawing Yes, Buzz Saw No.

There is always those who want non-aggressive tricks, so have another trick to replace it.
Dennis Michael
idomagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Chad Wonder
255 Posts

Profile of idomagic
The tricks kids look forward to most is my Sawing In Half... It actually creates buzz for the show, kids show up at the door asking when I am going to do it and to whom.

I do a routine telling the kids about power tools safety and how I'm not showing them a saw trick, but a vanishing trick. The entire premise of the routine is that the blade vanishes before it touches the kid and then reappears.

A couple of notes on this type of magic.

1. I always explain it's magic (not a trick, magic).
2. Never perform them on a child who has a sibling that is 4 years old, I can't specifically tell you why it traumatizes 4-year old's, but it does. I made that mistake early in my career. No exceptions.
3. For that matter, mutilation tricks are not appropriate for the 5 and under set anyway. It's too hard for them to dispel the physics of it.
4. If there are a handful of young kids at an older party, take them aside and "get them in on the trick." I always tell them I am going to saw (whomever) in half and "it's just a trick with a trick saw, so don't tell the older kids OK? The older kids will be really scared and we want to fool them... can you help me keep the secret?" It's cute to watch the little kids go an tell the adults "it's just a trick, don't worry."
5. Manage your electricity if you're using it. Plug the saw in for the trick and unplug when you're done.
6. Maintain your props. Make sure they work well at all times.
7. Always remind them it's magic.

Finally, I agree that choppers are not a good idea. Don't do a knifer, it's scary to everyone. Have a back-up trick like Dennis states and make sure the parents know what it is you plan on doing!
Chad Wonder (Chad Wonder Magic, Inc)
Past President SAM 37/IBM 131 (Mile High Magicians)
https://www.idomagic.com
http://www.ChadWonderMagic.com
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4617 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I use a Disecto for kids of 7 and above, and sometimes have been asked (begged) to do it for 6-year olds.
I also have a VERY scary 7' Monster Guillotine, and have again been begged to perform this for 9 and 10-year olds.
I don't like certain versions of "Visible Sawing in Half" because the modified jigsaw is plain DANGEROUS. It would be so easy to chop off a finger. The version I own has a SAWN OFF BOWSAW blade attached to the jigsaw. During the heat of performance, it would be too easy to make dangerous errors.
Potty Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3643 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I don't. About 15 years ago we used to do Sword Through Neck starting at about 9 years old but decided to stop. It was hard selling an effect that was really working for that crowd but we just couldn't get behind it anymore.

- Mary Mowder
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1587 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
The version I own has a SAWN OFF BOWSAW blade attached to the jigsaw. During the heat of performance, it would be too easy to make dangerous errors.
Potty.
Hey Potty.
Why take the risk?
I'm quite sure there are safer ones on the market.
Some years ago, a well know dealer performing the Arm Chopper had forgotten to do the secret move and almost broke the volunteer's arm. After seeing that, I sold my mine the very next day.
Tricky Ricky
zimsalabim
View Profile
Special user
Orlando Floirda USA
516 Posts

Profile of zimsalabim
I love this stuff . I have been doing the sword through the neck in my show for More years than I can remember it is Never out of the show. never had a bad reaction never had AnY problem of AnY kind. I do it for kids 10 up it kills and gets repeat bookings.
Joe Zimmer

"The Second Greatest Magician in the World"

Who is the Greatest? Everybody else! Borrowed with respect from the late Great Eddie Fechter Owner of the Forks Hotel

Zimsalabim

Orlando Florida
zimsalabim
View Profile
Special user
Orlando Floirda USA
516 Posts

Profile of zimsalabim
I love this stuff . I have been doing the sword through the neck in my show for More years than I can remember it is Never out of the show. never had a bad reaction never had AnY problem of AnY kind. I do it for kids 10 up it kills and gets repeat bookings.
Joe Zimmer

"The Second Greatest Magician in the World"

Who is the Greatest? Everybody else! Borrowed with respect from the late Great Eddie Fechter Owner of the Forks Hotel

Zimsalabim

Orlando Florida
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
The only thing I ever do anywhere near this genre... and it's
rare that I do it and only for 10 year olds and older ... is that
goofy wooden finger chopper. And I call it "blunt-o-matic"
making it clear that no chopping will occur.

I'm old-fashioned and proud of it. It seems to me that but kids
are exposed to far too much sex and violence today. They may
be de-sensitized and ignore it, but it's still to my mind
not a positive aspect of today's culture. So I'd rather
not contribute anything to something I consider part of
the problem.

And gosh, gee, shucks... you can craft a hugely entertaining,
fun-filled, packed with laughter and mystery magic show with
nary a blade, axe, knife, or flame.

Just my opinion, but mutilation effects for kid shows are
just not necessary.

--Jack
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
I've been doing these effects for 20 years and have never had a complaint, only requests for more. That said, I do think that what you say and how you set the effect up is extremely important.
pepita
View Profile
New user
Paris
71 Posts

Profile of pepita
I feel I would be very reluctant to use these in a kid show (same reason as Jackturk) as an adult; however, I remember that as a child, I would have loved to see them, so... Smile vs Smile lol !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Multilation Effects for Kids, (When do you start?) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL