The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hints for stage version of ID? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I have a Bike Jumbo ID. I took a hint from Brad Burt and decided to present it using a large envelope like so:

-- I showed a sealed letter-size white envelope, obviously with something inside.
-- I asked for the audience to narrow down to a card by calling out: red or black, which suit, face or spot, and finally what card. I write the responses on the outside of the envelope with a marker so they can see what they have caled out.
-- I asked someone to tear open the envelope and hand me the box of cards, then stand there and hold up the envelope.
-- I fanned out the cards, found the right card, and had the volunteer on stage pull out the card and show it alongside the envelope.
-- I take bak the card, thank the volunteer and send him off with applause, while I tuck the cards back in the box and seal them in a different envelope "for next time".

It got a decent reaction, but felt a bit flat from my side. What can I do to inject a bit more life into this?

Ed
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
I think mechanically, you're probably doing just fine. I wouldn't change anything in the way you actually do the trick. Where you probably want to look is at presentation. See if you can't come up with a story or hook that makes this more than just "I know what card you're going to pick," but actually a miracle.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3107 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Ed,

I don't know if this will fit your character or not, but you could add a bit of comedy. "Believe it or not, your card is in this envelope." Go through the narrowing down process until you've got one card. Then proudly pull out the deck of cards, and take your bow. Played well, people might laugh at your silliness. Act like you don't know why they're not impressed, and then apologize, saying that you needed to be more specific. Say that their card is in this deck, but it's actually reversed. Then reiterate the fairness of the card selection procedure, and then go through the deck to show only one card is reversed.

Another option could be to do the traditional ID presentation, with a large cloth sack rather than a small bag. Double over the mouth of the bag into the middle to act as a concealment for the jumbo ID. This would allow you to go through the pantomime and appearance of the ID, both of which are aspects that play well in the traditional presentation.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
On 2009-10-26 16:49, Andrew Musgrave wrote:
I don't know if this will fit your character or not, but you could add a bit of comedy. "Believe it or not, your card is in this envelope."

Oh, yes - I will use that!! Thanks!!

Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hints for stage version of ID? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL