The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Regular Tally-Hos or Regular Bikes? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Pedro Haluch
View Profile
New user
I definetely should have more than
62 Posts

Profile of Pedro Haluch
Which ones do you guys think are the best ones to perform close-up magic?
I've been using reg bikes since always, but I'm willing to give Tallys a try. So, what do you think? Should I make the change or stick with the bikes?

Thanks!
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
A quick search here on the Café should turn up plenty info on this very often discussed topic!
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Bicycles are the most recognized, I'm sure you'd have no worries about using the Talley's but the do cost a bit more. I'm not sure if it would be worth the extra cost, but buy a few packs and give them a test drive, you might like em!
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Pedro Haluch
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Pedro Haluch
Oookay, thanks guys ;D!
SilvaAce
View Profile
Regular user
Fargo, ND
156 Posts

Profile of SilvaAce
I've always used bikes, but recently bought some tallys and I am in love with the circle backs. Funny thing is I always thought the fan backs look really cool so I bought both kind and the circles got my vote. Probably won't be using them for show anytime soon, bikes are still my workers!
All you have to do to change your life, is to change your daily habits!

Carlos Silva
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
The Tally-Ho Circle backs are nice, but my favorites are the fan backs.

Buy a Tally-Ho pack and see how they feel to you.

The only draw back is finding factory made gaffed cards.
But, that may not be a concern to you.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
billgarmsarmy
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of billgarmsarmy
Quote:
On 2009-10-26 15:47, motown wrote:
The Tally-Ho Circle backs are nice, but my favorites are the fan backs.

Buy a Tally-Ho pack and see how they feel to you.

The only draw back is finding factory made gaffed cards.
But, that may not be a concern to you.

Factory gaffs for Tally's are more rare than bike gaffs. But this isn't really a huge issue when you can learn to split cards (get started in an hour with martini's DVD, seriously), or order printed cards (cardshark and others), or have martini make them for you himself. I find it greatly rewarding to make and use my own gaff cards and in my opinion they're just as good as a factory made gaff.
Pedro Haluch
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Pedro Haluch
Well, regarding the gaff decks 'issue', I'm on top of it: I don't use gaffs. So, my only concern is about the handling, the pros and cons on doing some of the regular moves, such as the double-lift, fanning, cutting (how does the stacks maintains themselves [I suppose pretty good, since tallys are the favorite to XCMers]), and other kind of things like that. I know that they mainly WILL fell the same, but that's what a normal person would say. That's why I'm asking us, magicians, because only we know the difference a thicker card can make Smile
Thanks=)
billgarmsarmy
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of billgarmsarmy
I prefer the linoid finish on tallys as opposed to the air cushion finish on bikes. It's straight up slippery. I've also found that tallys seem to keep their shape longer than bikes. Generally I use bikes though, because tally's are rarer and more expensive.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Pedro,

Is there a reason you don't want to use gaffes cards?
Just wondering why.

There are so many great card tricks that couldn't be acheived with out so type of gaffed card.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
ico
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
109 Posts

Profile of ico
Speaking of gaffs - Black Tally Ho comes with a double back and a blank face cards

Quality is better than Bicycles, but all depends on what you do with them. Price difference is small - less than 50c or so?
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Buy Tally Hos. Bikes are crap quality cards.
I know I am going to get flack from people for this but if you want to do high quality work with cards you require high quality cards.
As for the audience familiarity issue, your performance is boring. If your audience is concentrating on the cards, they don't like/trust you and therefore they are attacking your cards. I have a friend who wanted to prove a point. He used my little pony cards, studs, tallys, steamboats and even a deck of Jerry's. NOT A SINGLE PERSON MENTIONED IT. We were at a bar and he went to multiple groups. Nobody said a thing.

Work on your magic and get some decent cards for Dai's sake.

J
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-10-26 22:39, Jay Mahon wrote:
Buy Tally Hos. Bikes are crap quality cards.
I know I am going to get flack from people for this but if you want to do high quality work with cards you require high quality cards.

Tally Ho's are good quality and the fan backs are beautiful! Only problem is my gaffs like Mystery Box and Extractor are in Bicycle back so that is what I use for performance.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
brokin6
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
276 Posts

Profile of brokin6
I can honestly say that I would go with Tally-Ho's but their quality has gone down a bit over the years. They used to have a real "buttery" feel to them but that is almost gone. Maybe you can get lucky and find an older stock but they are still nice
Why does coin magic make my head hurt!?!
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
For me, Tally-Ho.........
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
A note to those who have gaffs in certain cards. You can send them to someone who does custom gaffs (although we lost Neil Lester this year, God rest his soul) and they can either remake them with YOUR card of choice or add a new back to yours.

If the only thing holding you back is gaffs then you are a fool for sacrificing quality for something so easily fixed. (Not a shot at any one person just a general statement)

J
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The cards that work the best are the cards you're used to, regardless of quality. I go for bikes because they're good, cheaper, and easier to acquire, especially at the spur of the moment.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
Tallys are cooler, but Bikes seem to dispell the idea of trick cards with laymen.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2009-10-27 11:50, Frank Starsini wrote:
The cards that work the best are the cards you're used to, regardless of quality. I go for bikes because they're good, cheaper, and easier to acquire, especially at the spur of the moment.

Oh yeah? Me too!
Any decent cards will do.
Which is better?
Doesn't matter.
Forget the cards,
Work on patter.
You know why don't act naive.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Nice poetry!!!

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Regular Tally-Hos or Regular Bikes? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL