The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » I love San Francisco, But... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
I wish I had some better suggestions, I know I hate bums and thugs who pester me and the crowds.

I remember in atlantic city it was real bad and I had convinced many of them that they should start busking at what they did best.

a week later they were out there trying, some singing, some making stuff outta tin cans, some trying to juggle......they were all so terrible, but it touched my heart to see them trying.

but there's always those lazy ones too.

any way GADDY I'm sorry I came over here to your thread babbling on and on.

thanks for putting up with me and know you always have my respect and support.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
You could do virtual miracles in front of people who have been hit up for money 50 times already, and they'd all think to themselves "Another bum begging for money

It is easier to criticize the homeless in the comfort of your heated home while enjoying the internet with a fridge full of food ... than it is to critize yourself. Perhaps in their mind, you are just another bum begging for money ... like Jimmy said, in their minds we will always just be bums.

Perhaps if the bums were not there, you would make more money ... but does that mean you are suddenly something more than just another bum begging for money? Nope. You just happen to be the only bum which means you don't have to share the pie.

Twenty years ago I hitchhiked to California and after being mugged twice in San Fran and having all of my belongings stolen I headed out of town. I hadn't ate all day and was standing at a gas station with the only "prop" I had left - a toy yo-yo. That's when a guy parked his car and started walking to the door ... I said "hey mister, spare some change? I'll do around the world for you".

He stopped in his tracks ... I realized the pressure was on ... I spun that yo-yo ... it went around ... not once not twice but three times ... to gracefully land in my hand ... "that's pretty kewl" he said as he walked into the store, not giving me a dime.

I was devastated ... what was I to do now? I was at one of the lowest points in my life and time seemed to have frozen ... when he walks out and says "here ya go" and drops a handful of change in my hand. In a matter of moments, I'm now at one of the highest points in my life. Amazing how things can go from one extreme to another so quickly.

So as I'm walking back to the interstate to continue my journey, I realized two things: (1) Little Debbie snack cakes are the cheapest cure for starvation, and (2) I officially just became both a bum and a street performer at the same time.

They are people too. I would bet my best hat that some of them are Vets that risked their life so you could have these freedoms and rights you want to wave around - I know because I slept in the box next to many of them. Yeah, they have problems ... so what ... judge not least you be judged.

The solution to this "problem" has nothing to do with magic or busking or regulations ... it is for the community to create jobs for these people, for psychiatric help for them, drug rehabilitation programs. In Myrtle Beach, a homeless advocacy group is limited to feed the homeless only once per month in public parks. That is a crock of crap - making it illegal to feed hungry people!

The solution to this "problem" is simple: for we the people to start standing up for these "bums", so that they might be treated like people too.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2009-10-27 21:13, jimmy talksalot wrote:
I remember in atlantic city it was real bad and I had convinced many of them that they should start busking at what they did best.

a week later they were out there trying, some singing, some making stuff outta tin cans, some trying to juggle......they were all so terrible, but it touched my heart to see them trying.

That is really awesome Jimmy!!! That's what I'm saying right there ... treat them like people. Because that is what they are. Like you said in your book ... we all suck in the beginning. I'd like to think some of them went on to become awesome buskers!

I've worked next to bums, hookers, pimps, drug dealers ... respect ... that is the law of the street: you respect them, and they will respect you. Don't ever break that law!

-JoeJoe
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Wow

joe joe, brilliant.

crazy man, you talk like a street performer.

thanks you made my night.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Joe Joe, Jimmy; nice words you strung together there.
You know why don't act naive.
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
Thanks men for the education and wising me up.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-10-27 22:58, JoeJoe wrote:
Quote:
You could do virtual miracles in front of people who have been hit up for money 50 times already, and they'd all think to themselves "Another bum begging for money

It is easier to criticize the homeless in the comfort of your heated home while enjoying the internet with a fridge full of food ... than it is to critize yourself. Perhaps in their mind, you are just another bum begging for money ... like Jimmy said, in their minds we will always just be bums.

Perhaps if the bums were not there, you would make more money ... but does that mean you are suddenly something more than just another bum begging for money? Nope. You just happen to be the only bum which means you don't have to share the pie.

Twenty years ago I hitchhiked to California and after being mugged twice in San Fran and having all of my belongings stolen I headed out of town. I hadn't ate all day and was standing at a gas station with the only "prop" I had left - a toy yo-yo. That's when a guy parked his car and started walking to the door ... I said "hey mister, spare some change? I'll do around the world for you".

He stopped in his tracks ... I realized the pressure was on ... I spun that yo-yo ... it went around ... not once not twice but three times ... to gracefully land in my hand ... "that's pretty kewl" he said as he walked into the store, not giving me a dime.

I was devastated ... what was I to do now? I was at one of the lowest points in my life and time seemed to have frozen ... when he walks out and says "here ya go" and drops a handful of change in my hand. In a matter of moments, I'm now at one of the highest points in my life. Amazing how things can go from one extreme to another so quickly.

So as I'm walking back to the interstate to continue my journey, I realized two things: (1) Little Debbie snack cakes are the cheapest cure for starvation, and (2) I officially just became both a bum and a street performer at the same time.

They are people too. I would bet my best hat that some of them are Vets that risked their life so you could have these freedoms and rights you want to wave around - I know because I slept in the box next to many of them. Yeah, they have problems ... so what ... judge not least you be judged.

The solution to this "problem" has nothing to do with magic or busking or regulations ... it is for the community to create jobs for these people, for psychiatric help for them, drug rehabilitation programs. In Myrtle Beach, a homeless advocacy group is limited to feed the homeless only once per month in public parks. That is a crock of crap - making it illegal to feed hungry people!

The solution to this "problem" is simple: for we the people to start standing up for these "bums", so that they might be treated like people too.

-JoeJoe

Nice moralizing there, Joe Joe.

You used my words in your little quote there, but for the record, I didn't criticize anyone. In fact I specifically said they ruined the wharf "for me". Not "for everyone" and certainly not "by their mere presence".

Did I say they didn't have a right to be there? No.
Did I call for more policing of busking? No.
Do I act disrespectful towards people I don't know? Not unless I want to be hit on the back of the head with a brick...

Simply put, they wrecked the pitch for me, so I left. And then I came here to kvetch about it.

Quote:
... like Jimmy said, in their minds we will always just be bums.

I like Jimmy, and I bought his book. I even flipped thru it a few times. Out of all the amazing and outrageous things he says there, this is the thing I take the greatest exception to.

It's wrong, and it's the wrong attitude to have while out there working. Sometimes it's an attitude you cannot change in people, but those times are few and far between in my opinion. And when I'm faced with those situations, I excuse myself and find a better environment. And then I come here to the Café to kvetch about t.

Sure there are a minority of people out there that feel this way, but you could say that about any situation.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Did not mean to offended Gaffy, and was not singling you out ... others here criticized, and I used your quote as I feel that is where it all begins.

Sorry, but that is what people think of street performers in general ... that we are bums. I don't care how talented you are, I don't care how well dressed you are, if you ask people for money you are a bum. That is their mentality. Jimmy says it is not so much in Europe, but in America that is just the way it is.

Very few performers can break that mold ... The Naked Cowboy has managed to do so for two reasons, (1) he has been on TV, and (2) most people think he makes his money selling protein powder on the internet instead of tips.

-JoeJoe
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
And I can also point out that most performers that have a problem being mistaken for a bum are the ones that look down on the other bums. There is no shame in being a bum ... they are generally liked by most people, and are higher on the social ladder then hookers and drug dealers. It's an honest living.

If you were to see that guy holding the "spare change for weed" sign and ask him what he was going to do today ... he might say something along the lines of "I'm gonna work the sign today". That is what it is to them - work - it is a job to them. They think of it the same way you think about doing your magic act.

Generally speaking, the people that have a problem with the bums are the same people that have a problem with us.

-JoeJoe
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
There is shame in being a bum. Sponging off other people is shameful.
Bums are not generally liked by most people. Dirt, sponging off other people, and the general mindset top the list of reasons why.
Bumming is not an honest living. Providing a product or service in return for pay is an honest living. That one considers asking people to support them work does not make it work or an honest living. Honest in the sense that they are up front about the proposition perhaps, but certainly not honorable nor a benefit to society.

Buskers work. They give to society not take. That our society has to be drug to that fact is sad but so is world hunger.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
When you know people, you know what they think of you by their body language and by other non-verbal queues as well as what they say or what they put into your hat. I know when people think I'm a bum, and brother, let me tell you, it's not often.

If you truly feel that the people around you think you're a bum while you're performing, then that's probably something that you should look at for a good and long time, because you're either "projecting" that ...or you need a bath, mate.
Quote:
"I'm gonna work the sign today". That is what it is to them - work

Just because you call a block of spam a "Filet mignon" does not make it one. Again, I'm not begrudging anyone their "livelihood" (such as it is...) but I'm not about to pay lip-service to a beggar's lexicon either, especially when it interferes with my work.

I appreciate your empathy towards your fellow man, but I respectfully do not agree.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Bums do not take anything from society, society gives it to them of it's own free will. No shame in asking for help when help is needed. Is a lot more honorable to swallow your pride and ask for help than it is to steal cars for a living, or pimp out your girlfriend ... or sell crack to kids.

I personally think "spare change for weed" is pretty funny and I'd give the guy a buck or two for the laugh. Is his joke worth any less than your lines? Nope. Oh you can think you are all high and all mighty, but at the end of the day you are no better than the next guy standing on the sidewalk.

If you saw Chris Gardner standing in line at the homeless shelter, you would think he was just a bum ... a "sponge" on society. Never mind the fact that he's a self-made millionaire.

And no you can't tell someone thinks you are a bum by their body language, you can however fool yourself if want. In the minds of your audience, you are inferior to them ... seeking to survive off of their support (just like the other bums). If you were any good, you would be on TV - or be hired to work on a stage. That is how they think.

And in the minds of the other bums, your work is interfering with their work - and they live on that street, so you are the one trespassing on their turf. You want to work that area, you need to do like Jimmy did ... he became the best bum on the block! All the other bums wanted to be just like Jimmy.

Finding a new pitch is the best idea, which is why I don't like to work sidewalks - much better to get a private paid gig in an up-scale tourist area where I don't have to share the pie. I like to think I'm a smart bum.

-JoeJoe
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
I personally think "spare change for weed" is pretty funny
trust me it loses it's charm after the 10th sign in as many blocks... Just like any other hack line.

On the subject of "knowing" what people think, we're going to have to agree to disagree here. But I respectfully suggest you read a couple of books on the subjects of kinesthesiology, primate psychology, cold-reading, and non-verbal communication.

I'm certainly not talking ESP here, but people speak volumes without saying a word, and most of them do not even know that they are communicating anything at all. My time street performing, bartending, tarot reading, and pleasure reading on these subjects tells me I'm right -If I was just "fooling myself" I'd certainly be made a fool of, a lot more often than I am.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Hi Joe Joe,

When I say bums take from society I'm not just talking about money. Bums are a nuisance and that takes from society. Asking for help when help is needed and sitting on a curb with a sign or yelling at people for money are different things.

My act is worth more than the tired old joke of spare change for weed/booze/sex/drugs/smokes/rent/hookers/...shall I go on? If that makes me high and mighty then ring the bells and let the banners fly.

Wearing old clothing or looking unkempt does not make one a bum. Books & covers and all that rot.

Your example of what Jimmy did to work and area is adaptation, one of the choices I gave initially when presented with a problem.

"Finding a new pitch is the best idea, which is why I don't like to work sidewalks - much better to get a private paid gig in an up-scale tourist area where I don't have to share the pie. I like to think I'm a smart bum."

Why the negative self image?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
My number one spot to busk is a festival (if I do not have a paid show there). I never seen a panhandler at one before. Festivals help separate me from panhandlers.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
A lot of magician's jokes are are over done as well - fingers will never leave my hand ... can you keep a secret? so can I ... blah blah blah blah same old crap. What do you think those bums start thinking when they see a magician set up ... "oh great, another guy about to do that stupid trick with the lemons again".

I do not have a negative self-image, just a realistic view of my place in this world. I have created over a dozen tricks and effects that no other magician in the world does ... and at the end of the day, I am no better than that bum sleeping on the sidewalk.

That is *NOT* a negative self-image of myself ... that is a positive image of the rest of the people in this world.

-JoeJoe
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

When I said THEY think your a bum I DO NOT MEAN YOUR AUDIENCE, [your audience should feel your a pro]

when I say THEY I mean those that are trying to get rid of you. the city council, the shops what ever.

every heard thie one?

"he doesn't pay rent so he's a panhandler"
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-10-28 21:09, JoeJoe wrote:
What do you think those bums start thinking when they see a magician set up ... "oh great, another guy about to do that stupid trick with the lemons again".

HEY! Don't you talk about my audience like that!

"Thank you! You bums are great... I'm here all week! Try the veal!"
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Joe Joe you seem to be good at twisting thoughts around. Must be part of the creativity. Go with it till it doesn't serve you well in peace.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Amen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » I love San Francisco, But... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL