The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Weeks(?) learning coin production from back palm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ldrosenblum
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
103 Posts

Profile of ldrosenblum
As a newbie (6 weeks), I'm quickly learning that many sleights take hours, if not days, of practice. But I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong in my practicing.
I'm working to develop a Miser's Dream routine and would like to include a coin production (half dollar) from back palm position. It's taking me weeks, and am still not doing it consistently. I'm wondering if this is 'par for the course' or whether I should be using additional instructional material to facilitate my learning. I've been learning my back palm through the Bobo, Mark Wilson, and Tarbell books. Thanks everyone!
Check out my new book on our 'perceptual superpowers': www.LawrenceRosenblum.com . It discusses new research on the psychology of misdirection and the neuroplasticity behind expert motor skills.
jhudsy
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of jhudsy
Hi!

One thing I was advised is to substitute the Tenkai palm for the back palm where possible. I still haven't been able to find a coin of the right size to back palm, but my Tenkai seems to be coming along (slowly). The back palm is, as far as I know, considered very very tricky.
othelo68
View Profile
Regular user
North dakota
174 Posts

Profile of othelo68
I'm not great at back palming coins but I've heard that a larger coin could make it a bit easier. try just holding it clipped between your first and fourth fingers for a while to get use to holding it there. then try putting in the same position in the back with your hand straight. then try transfering between the two positions. I've been trying this for a few months now and still can't do it perfect but its comming along try it. if it works great if not then I'm sorry for leading you down a bunny trail.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
For me, palming coins worked much better than the heavier real coins.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
There's more than one way to achieve the same effect. Why use something that is technically challenging to you? I would suggest using something simpler and not technically demanding such as Downs palm, thumb palm or even from finger palm. The idea is to appear the coins.
ldrosenblum
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
103 Posts

Profile of ldrosenblum
Thanks folks-

I wasn't aware of the Tenkai palm, or that there was such a thing as 'palming coins'. I'll have to look into those. This could make the whole thing much easier. And while I do use finger palm when my hand back is facing out, I was assuming that having some variety in how I 'grabbed' the coins would be important which is why I was working on the back palm (for when my palm is facing out). Perhaps I am making this too hard for myself.
I guess this is what the 'new to magic' forum is for! Thanks everyone.
Check out my new book on our 'perceptual superpowers': www.LawrenceRosenblum.com . It discusses new research on the psychology of misdirection and the neuroplasticity behind expert motor skills.
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
Hank Lee's Magic Factory has some palming coins you can check out at:

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=123

:magicrabbit:
ldrosenblum
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
103 Posts

Profile of ldrosenblum
Excellent-

Thanks Pradell. The price for these palming coins at Hank Lee's certainly seems good.

-Larry
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
If you want to produce the coins with the palms facing the audience, I would suggest the Down's palm and it is not technically challenging. I use that for my misers dream too - for production, throwing into the bucket, appearently tossing the coin into the air, etc.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Downs Palm is great...I prefer Tenkai over back palm...

If it was easy everyone would be doing it.

Harris
still learning about coins for 30 + years...
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
ldrosenblum
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
103 Posts

Profile of ldrosenblum
I'll try out the Downs and Tenkai palms, they sound much more manageable than the back palm.
But frankly, even a coin production from finger palm is taking much practice to perform in a smooth, convincing way. I guess patience is key when learning sleights.

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

-Larry
ldrosenblum
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
103 Posts

Profile of ldrosenblum
I've done a bit of research, and the Downs palm definitely seems useful for Miser's Dream.

But, I'm having trouble finding tutorials/descriptions of the Tenkai Palm - which, I assume, is the same as the Tenkai Pinch, and Goshman Pinch. I've checked Bobo, Tarbell, Mark Wilson, and the internet. Any recommendations on where to pick this up?

Thanks again, everyone.
DN777
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of DN777
The multiple downs palm production is great for the miser's dream and taught in Jeff McBride's Coin Ball and Thimble volumes.
ldrosenblum
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
103 Posts

Profile of ldrosenblum
Thanks Daniel-

I was thinking of ultimately using a multiple downs. I have to say that it does look a bit intimidating for a newbie - but I'll definitely try it after I feel comfortable with the one coin downs.

Thanks,

Larry
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
The backpalm can be tricky. I learned it in my left hand (even though I am right handed) and can do it pretty good but it takes time. Something I've noticed with a flourish I learned like the four coin roll down, it doesn't happen instantly. Sleights and flourishes seem to take time, when I first started it I couldn't do any steps of it at all. Then I could do a little bit, then I could do the next step of the flourish, until finally I could do the whole flourish once in every 20 tries. Then that got eventually reduced to once in 10 tries successfully, then every time.

I can't produce multiple coins from downs palm or back palm, it is quite tricky. Be sure if you want to do the misers dream with multiple downs palm production you choose worn out circulated US silver..(You can find it in the 'junk' bin at most coin shops)
They are soft and you don't get the noise from them sliding.

There are other sleights such as the classic palm that take literally years and years to get really good at. I've practiced the classic palm for 2 years now every day and It still is not 'great', its not bad but its not that good either.

I suggest you visit http://www.coinvanish.com and check out the information on that site. It will help you a lot in coin magic. If you want to eventually learn the classic palm be sure to learn it in both hands.

Good luck, and keep at it. Remember a lot of people fail at certain things but if they only realized how close they were to success before they quit, they wouldn't.

Don't give up on it, I can't tell you how frusterated I have become of the classic palm. I want a great one like david roths, or david stone but I've come to realize this can take a decade or more of constant practice. I'm not going to give up on it but you have to remain strong and never give up..

Good luck
jhudsy
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of jhudsy
Hi again,

I'm a newbie, but as far as I know, the Tenkai palm and pinch (and Goshman pinch) are the same thing. While they're considered simple, its taken me two weeks or so to get to the point where I can do them in both hands around 90% of the time...

So like others have said, just keep plugging away at it, and good luck.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Yes, practice, practice and more practice, is the key.
jake.o
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of jake.o
I used to have a lot of problems with the goshman pinch until I got jay sankeys revolutionary coin magic dvd where he explaines and teaches the move very well and shows you many uses for it.
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Servaas Koomen
You could check out the ben salinas coin dvd. don't know if tenkai is in there, but it gave me a kickstart on coin magic
"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what" A.
jhudsy
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of jhudsy
Hi Servaas, The Tenkai/Goshman is a bonus feature on Ben Salinas' modern coin magic dvd. I'd heartily recommend the dvd to anyone working through Bobo's, its great to not only read a move, but see it performed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Weeks(?) learning coin production from back palm (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL