The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I won't play with you (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8964 Posts

Profile of funsway
After you start performing for friends, it is common for some to say, "I sure wouldn't play cards with you." Scott Guinn has a great routine available that makes you the loser every time at Poker. It's easy, fun and has a lot of good psychology that will help with other card effects.

check it out at http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=159
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
LOL that's an awesome idea Funsway... the airport security guy said those very words to me as I negotiated the passage of a large PK magnet and other unusual looking items in my hold luggage: plus loads of packs of cards...

I didn't tell him I was a complete newbie ha ha...

I've been looking at this page: http://www.benjoffe.com/holdem and thinking about writing some code to find nice stacks for myself. I'm OK with mnemonics. But I hope to be able to make stacks with all sorts of hidden sequences, and a built-in 'losing hand' deck would be fun. It could be good for that 'one last trick, then...' deck switch.
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
Gotta love those lines that everyone seems to think are so wonderfully original. I think it was Eric Lecleric (on Sankey's Underground Jam DVD) who came up with a system of dealing with those lines in a very magical way--he writes them into a prediction.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Unfortunately, some of the things people believe about Alabama turn out to be true. The county where I live has a sheriff who is hardly the brightest light on the tree.

I filed a complaint against him with the Attorney Generals Office for his collusion in a burglary in which over $11,000 in cash was stolen from me. The sheriff’s defense for not investigating (his part of the collusion) was that my compulsive gambling caused me to steal my own money. Of course, I don’t gamble nor did he know that I was both a professional magician and a registered lobbyist. But I would love to find anyone who would not tell him what a fool it would take to gamble with me.

This is also the sheriff that files stolen car reports for cars that the victim never owned! Frankly, there is no such car. Of course, he has no idea how to investigate that either.

He’ll never figure out why magicians don’t gamble. Let’s invite him for a game of cards! Open season on fools!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
LOL! Of course, if you used my routine, Bob, you'd be in a world of hurt for that particular occasion, as the magician always LOSES--even when you win, you lose!

Thanks Ken (funsway) for mentioning my routine ("The World's WORST Card Player!"). It has really played well for me over the years. It endears the performer to the audience, makes the participant the winner, takes the sting completely out of the effect, and has a nice little "catchphrase" that makes it memorable.

If you already have and use a favorite version of this effect or are a stickler about the magician always winning, you should pass on this. But if you don't mind some self-deprecating humor and are looking for a routine that is fully scripted and proven in professional performances, and that can be used in everything from close-up for one person to a stage, well... obviously I'm a bit biased, but I just don't see how you can go wrong for a mere $7.50.

For those so inclined, you find it a tad more than halfway down the page here:
http://www.scottfguinn.com/cardmagic.asp
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Sometimes I do wonder how much credibility with others we do lose because people think magicians cannot be trusted.

There is a cost!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bean
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Bean
Sigh. 5 days late and likely a couple of marbles short. Smile

Bob, I wouldn't worry about it. I think the vast majority of people understand what we do. We're not conmen (or women), we're not realtors fibbing about things to get a commission or a car dealer doing the same for similar reasons. We're not dishonest repair people padding the bill. Those things are all one-sided: I "do" you and get your money, you get the shaft. Magicians and their audience, whether the audience is one wide-eyed child or a roomful of adults, are in a partnership. They give up their cynicism and indulge in a little willing suspension of disbelief. In return, I give them wonder. Magic. A chance to feel like they felt when they saw a rainbow or a butterfly for the first time. They do me the honor of coming in to my little universe and I give them a pretty nifty gift in return. No, if our audiences didn't trust us, we wouldn't have the effect on them that we *do* have.

Sure, every now and again we all wind-up with *that* guy. You know him--"I know how you did that! It was wires and stuff. I read a book once...." blah, totally wrong explanation, blah. They're the ones that describe what we do as "tricks", implying that you're trying to fool (in a malicious sense) or belittle them. I've never really been able to figure out what motivates people like that, but they're like the guy in the movies that has to give away key plot points. In striving to know it all or to have seen it all, they've lost their sense of wonder, that ability to believe just that little bit. And I feel a little sorry for them.

And finally, before I get too maudlin over magic (as easy to do as it may be), I think they can't think of anything else to say. It's like asking someone what they do for a living and they say, "Oh, I'm a high school English teacher." The usual response is, "Well, I guess I'll have to watch how I talk around *you*, then!" Ho, ho, ho. Yipes.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I cut up so much until most people have no idea how much formal education I have.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- It certainly took a sense of humor to get it! LOL
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bean
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Bean
It's much more fun to let people wonder. If you mention how much education you have, you're branded as being a know-it-all, or "think you're so smart" or somehow implying you're "better" than the other person. It's entertaining to see what sorts of assumptions they make about you all on their own.

It took 4 years before my in-laws discovered I actually do know more about computer hardware and software than my husband. It was somewhat a Pyrrhic victory and now I'm sorry they know....I need one of those, "No, I Won't Fix Your Computer" t-shirts.

And now, instead of making a semi-obligatory Grammar Police joke, I leave you with a quote from another website--"Grammar is the chocolate in the buttery croissant of life."
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Quote:
On 2009-11-07 10:26, Bean wrote:
It's much more fun to let people wonder. If you mention how much education you have, you're branded as being a know-it-all, or "think you're so smart" or somehow implying you're "better" than the other person. It's entertaining to see what sorts of assumptions they make about you all on their own.

Bean, this is a valuable lesson I have learnt through experience, to display erudition sparingly when dealing with people. Of course, this is the stock-in-trade of the clever con artist who 'plays dumb' - and we all know how magicians share many attributes with more unsavoury characters, but for a more positive outcome!

As for myself, I had a little thing where I seemed to intimidate people, particularly older people, with my appearance and the way I dress, so I'd be at pains to convey that I was not the sterotypical chav of their nightmares by being somewhat grandiloquent in conversing with them!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I won't play with you (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL