The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Ace 'Ace Cutting' (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1171 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
What if the Pope said that God owns everything, including intellectual property rights, so secrets don't really "belong" to anyone, and all should have equal claim?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I think the method should stay secret, at least on this public site. If any one you want to talk about it further, maybe go to the more private site?
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Maitre D
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Maitre D
I'll respect that.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
If
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3112 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Lol, I didn't catch the move. Once, I had a weird feeling that something was happening... and the move was taught to me after Smile.

Good moves are hard to catch. Good moves are taught...
Hansen
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
653 Posts

Profile of Hansen
Hats off to Andy! It's a wonderful little piece, coupled with his characteristic amiable commentary. There's just something enviably appropriate in combining that accent with ace cutting! Maybe I've watched "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" too many times, but you've got to like the chap!

If it is as we think it is, then the work is darn nigh invisible. And if it is truly impromptu (anytime, any where etc etc), then I'll put my hat back on just so as to be able to doff it again to Andy! Bravo! As something of an 'ace cutting' addict (or should that be 'tragic'?), this is something for a connoisseur to enjoy...

As someone more into the sneaky art of collusion, I admit I'm no expert on the more mechanical side of things. Mr Nash's Infinity is the limits of my on-the-spot-work know-how. Andy's certainly comes across far, far cleaner. Had me sratching my cranium anyway!

Once again, well done Mr Hall! Thanks for the entertainment.
The Dowser
View Profile
Special user
Canada
764 Posts

Profile of The Dowser
Whatever the method... cheating or no...that was a very impressive demonstration of cutting to the aces... or should I say bullets.
They looked like silver bullets to me... but I could be wrong.
Close is still wrong, right?
Dowser
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2468 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Regardless, if breathers were used or not, it appears that there must have been some work placed in the aces to me OR work was in the rest of the deck and NOT the aces...

In either case, I agree that the type of work should not be discussed in a public forum Smile

However, I thought he did a GREAT job in presentation and execution...I enjoyed the clip Smile
Long Island,

New York
awimagic
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of awimagic
Back when andy was on mvd he was gracious enough to send an explanation clip to those who wanted it and he is overall a great guy so one can drop him a PM at youtube to discuss this thing further ...
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Yes, he did, and yes, he is a great guy. But he doesn't show up on you tube that often, or here. He is very giving with his work.

mvd? magic video depot?

awimagic
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of awimagic
Yes sorry about that MVD stands for magic video depot ... at MVD andy was the star when it came to patter and presentation at least for me
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1245 Posts

Profile of splice
I recall sending him a PM about this clip and receiving no reply.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
He only drops by here every once and a while

MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I don't know how on the fly the "leaf"(?) crimp is but it sure seems like it would work well for a solution to Andy's routine! Now we just have to get Arnold to publish the work on his wicked cool crimp! Smile

MMc
Bret Maverick
View Profile
Regular user
U.S.A.
188 Posts

Profile of Bret Maverick
Quote:
I disagree. The performer is claiming it's totally impromptu and is done with an entirely ordinary deck. In my opinion, by having that exaggerated disclaimer, it makes it acceptable to scrutinize what's really going on - he's basically asking for it. If he hadn't made that disclaimer, I wouldn't have bothered to say anything.

Maybe I'm nit-picking here, but when I watched the video I thought that he described the deck - minus the four aces placed on the closeup pad - as being on-the-square, which indeed it most likely was, if only the aces were worked to accomplish the effect.

It's a magic trick, and careful selection of the patter to infer that NONE of the cards in the deck were worked at the time he was handling them (the deck was light four aces at that time) is an acceptable stretch of the truth by a performer in my view. Heck, many magicians lie outright to fool their audiences on YouTube.

Bret
"If all a man can count on is finally pushing up the grass, when I do I'll lay you odds that grass is mine!" - Theme Song For The T.V. Series BRET MAVERICK, by Ed Bruce
The Dowser
View Profile
Special user
Canada
764 Posts

Profile of The Dowser
I believe his disclaimers... all of them. I also believe this secret is marketed by Lee Earle.
Bret Maverick
View Profile
Regular user
U.S.A.
188 Posts

Profile of Bret Maverick
Quote:
From Andy's video: "four ordinary aces, there's nothing untoward about them – the deck is ordinary and you can hand them out for shuffling…the spectator can shuffle them…we’re not using any kid if stripper deck or anything of that nature either, and the faces of the cards are not treated with anything – it is a legitimate deck.

Quote:
By The Dowser: I believe his disclaimers... all of them. I also believe this secret is marketed by Lee Earle.

Dowser,

I find your statement somewhat confusing and contradictory: on the one hand you accept the claims that the deck of cards used was “ordinary”…not “a stripper deck or anything of that nature either” and, on the other hand, you infer that the method used relied on a gaff sold by another magician. (I appreciate your not identifying the gaff that you suspect.)

Without going into details of gaffing cards that should not be posted on a public forum, as I stated above, the statement that the deck is legit in his hand at the time the aces are on the layout may be accurate (although a form of deliberately misleading magician’s patter if the aces are worked) and, while the allegation that it’s not “a stripper deck or anything of that nature” does not rule out a different form of gaffed deck, the effect as I viewed it does not require the gaffing of the forty-eight cards into which the four aces are placed.

Furthermore, the FACES of the cards may in truth not be treated with a foreign substance to aid in finding them as alleged (although the inclusion of the word “faces” rather than “the four aces” or “the four cards” does not preclude the treatment of the BACKS of the aces and raises suspicion, even though I do not suspect that the backs of the cards were gaffed by the application of a substance aiding in card location in this effect, despite the fact that the effect could be accomplished in that manner). The word "treated" is also open to many interpretations; I've used it as applying a substance, but a card can be "treated" in many other ways to affect performance.

While I understand Maitre D’s statement that: “If he hadn't made that disclaimer, I wouldn't have bothered to say anything” the disclaimer doesn’t bother me given that the video was posted on YouTube for the general public’s viewing – if Andy had posted the video in this Gambler’s forum himself for peer review and comment and offered to stand by his claim that the deck in its entirety was legit, he would be fair game for criticism.

I like to watch and listen to gifted magicians, and I don’t spoil my pleasure by scrutinizing the moves and trying to figure out how seemingly miraculous effects are achieved, a trap that many budding magicians tend to fall into (and I lesson I learned decades ago).

Bret
"If all a man can count on is finally pushing up the grass, when I do I'll lay you odds that grass is mine!" - Theme Song For The T.V. Series BRET MAVERICK, by Ed Bruce
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well he was not controlling them nor using any gaffs or anything like that. It was magic.........magicians can do magic you know.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2468 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
While I may be wrong...I favor the explanation that there was "work" in either the aces or "Work in the deck" with normal aces.

That is my himble opinion for what it worth.

I hope that I am wrong...because I do like to be fooled Smile
Long Island,

New York
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2009-11-03 01:45, The Dowser wrote:
I believe his disclaimers... all of them. I also believe this secret is marketed by Lee Earle.

I have no idea who "lee earle" is, but he isn't marketing any of the solution.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Ace 'Ace Cutting' (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL