The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Maintenance of Gaffed Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CMNeff
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of CMNeff
I know this has been discussed before but I can't find it in the quicksearch. If one accidentally drops a s###l and it's minutely out of round so that it sticks a bit with the insert, what is the proper way to round it out again? I've heard of using BIC lighters on half dollars, an unsharpened pencil, etc. but thought I'd check with those that have had some success. This would be for a solid silver coin so the metal would be relatively soft.

Thanks for the advice. Please PM me if you thing the topic belongs in a more secretive section or you'd prefer not to discuss in open forum

Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
I use a hammer and tap it all the way around the ['s edge. Just make sure there is a coin nested inside before you begin. I use this method to great success with my expensive coin gaff(s) such as the Triple Threat which, in my experience, is notorious for getting bent out of shape when dropped..
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
306 Posts

Profile of lithyem
Put a doubled silk inside the shell first to help expand the shell and give you something to pop the coin out with otherwise you might very well end up with a very well nested gaff.
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
I've rolled a nickel around the inside of the rim, this worked well when I dropped my quarter shell a few months back. I also do the silking as Lithyem recommended every now and then.
CMNeff
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of CMNeff
Perhaps I've misunderstood Doug's suggestion. Won't tapping the edge of the { cause it fit tighter around the insert, not loosen it up? I'm assuming by edge you mean the side of the coin, not the edge (sharp) of the gaff.

Thanks!
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Quote:
On 2009-10-28 02:29, lithyem wrote:
Put a doubled silk inside the shell first to help expand the shell and give you something to pop the coin out with otherwise you might very well end up with a very well nested gaff.

This is what I do as well. Always get the job done.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Agree with Lithyem and Rannie.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2009-10-28 18:09, rutabaga wrote:
Agree with Lithyem and Rannie.

Yes.
bnburns
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of bnburns
I've screwed shells up with everything BUT the silk method- you may have to start with a single layer if its really tight, but be careful not to tear the silk in getting the coin out. Lithyem is right that when you can remove the shell with a doubled silk, the fit is then about right
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-10-28 15:20, CMNeff wrote:
Perhaps I've misunderstood Doug's suggestion. Won't tapping the edge of the { cause it fit tighter around the insert, not loosen it up? I'm assuming by edge you mean the side of the coin, not the edge (sharp) of the gaff.

Thanks!

Imagine the coin is flat on the table. If you look at the rim that surrounds the coin, that is what you tap with the hammer. Just make sure there is a coin nested inside. This works to GREAT success as well.

The silk method isn't the only method. Smile
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Maintenance of Gaffed Coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL