The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Temple Screen Origin ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
May I know the origin of the 'Temple Screen' effect? I have seen so many versions coming out in the market. Who is the originator? Is this prop already a public domain item? Thanks!
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
U.F. Grant (c. 1944) invented the Temple Screen based on the Wonder Screen (c.1907) of Servais LeRoy.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Professor Spellbinder. Is this effect/prop copyrighted/patented righted item today? If so, who owns it? Or is it a public domain item?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is no patent on it. A patent would have expired decades ago. The only thing that would be copyrighted would be the designs on the screen and the instructions.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Bill. Then it looks as though this item is public domain now. Perhaps this is why so many versions are in the market today.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's probably right.

If you market one, Jimmy King with MAK magic might get a little bit torqued, but all you need to do is ask him to produce the patent papers.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Bill.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3730 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
And...what EXACTLY do the Oriental characters actually mean on the Grant/MAK Temple Screen. I've been told several things, the only one that comes to mind is something similar to "smoke more". Anyone?

Steve
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
Gosh, I remember the U.F. GRANT Temple Screen from the old Kanter's catalogues at the shop in Philly.
Had no idea what it was supposed to do, but it sure looked mystical with the Chinese writing!
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
All the UF Grant catalogs I have show a sitting Buddha on the screens and that's what I remember when I had one in the 40s.
And I have UF Grant stock catalog with Kanters name on it when he was using the Grant catalogs between 1938 and Kanters #8 catalog of 1947.
You can see the screen here:
http://www.ronsmagicpalace.com/Rons_Magi......nts.html
docdazzal
View Profile
Veteran user
San Tan Valley, AZ
331 Posts

Profile of docdazzal
Thank You Spartacus...

Seeing all those great effects and apparatus bring back fond memories. I had many of those items...I wish I still had them. The MAK website used to have a section call "Classic MAK" but I'm not seeing it anymore. In that section...they used to offer a lot of the classic UF Grant items.

Continued Success,
Dan
Dr. Dan
The Dr. Dan & Ozzie Dugan Show
Magic, Ventriloquism, & Mentalism
www.drdanandco.com
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
There is another collection of MAK and UF Grant pictures here:

http://www.magictrickcollection.com/mak-magic-collection/

and here:

http://magictrickcollectibles.com/UF-Gra......04a45486
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
On this page, there is a Temple Screen with funny characters on it. Scroll almost to the bottom of the page, which I did not do the first time.:

http://www.ronsmagicpalace.com/Rons_Magi......nts.html

So, not all Temple screens had a sitting Buddha, as I claimed. That is the second time I have been wrong in my life. : )
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
I took a '70s era Grant's Temple Screen in to a fellow who ran the only Chinese restaurant in our town. According to him, the Chinese characters roughly translated to "Smoke all the time."
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
jnrussell
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
206 Posts

Profile of jnrussell
I still have and use my original 1960s Temple Screen, though I covered the Bhudda side with different images so I could use it in churches!
I'm guessing the new ones don't match the quality of my original!
John Russell
Mastering Magician
www.TheMasterMagician.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Temple Screen Origin ... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL