The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Does anyone know about the shell game with bottle caps (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bill7
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
213 Posts

Profile of bill7
I was at howard homecoming in DC they were playing the three shell game with bottle caps. Where could I find this in print??
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1259 Posts

Profile of splice
I don't think it's in print at all. The best source for such work right now would either be the School for Scoundrels DVD on the Shell Game, Volume 2. Or right here on this forum, topandball has answered many of our questions. Check out this thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
888 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Sal Piacente demonstrates the shell game with bottle caps, and a small piece of sponge cut out on his Shell Game DVD, just like it's done on the street
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16249 Posts

Profile of tommy
Shells or bottle tops or whatever.....what's the difference.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2009-10-29 13:02, tommy wrote:
Shells or bottle tops or whatever.....what's the difference.

The only difference I have seen is the guys on the streets doing the shell game for money always use bottle caps there maybe some that use shells but I have yet to see them used. Magicians use the shells.

Only thing I can think of is the bottle caps don't have the Chanin dip?
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
There are several difference between the use of bottle cap vs shells.

The most obvious being the absence of the dip. The other major difference is that the ball used is usually (but not always) not made of foam or rubber.

The sleights used for the caps are harder to master.

Matchboxes are a third option with a different set of sleights again.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
I also think guys running the con for real might sometimes intentionally stay away from things like plastic walnut shells, or anything else the dupe might associate with the actual words, "Shell Game".

Bottle caps and matchboxes seem innocuous............almost like you have a chance.
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1259 Posts

Profile of splice
Not to mention how much easier it is to find and maintain bottle caps as opposed to walnut shells. And how bottlecaps will be exactly the same by nature, whereas buying plastic shells would be expensive as hell, and natural shells have natural variations.
skillzilla
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of skillzilla
When they do it on the streets then what are they using for a pea
KaydoWhoa
View Profile
New user
Keystone Heights, Florida
90 Posts

Profile of KaydoWhoa
You should have seen Doc's video of a hustler on the bus doing it. He might still have it posted not sure though.
Alan M
View Profile
Elite user
California
418 Posts

Profile of Alan M
Bottle caps are also a less incriminating item to leave behind if you had to vacate an area quickly.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
When using bottle caps I have found that a plastic soda pop or water bottle cap to be the best. If you are using a close up mat to do it on and a sponge pea I have found that sanding them down a bit helps them not snag in a close up mat or carpet if you are performing the trick on a carpet or dish towl that is.

Speaking as a magician that has used the bottle caps at shows - they work as well as any set of shells that I have used. However in my opinion it is the moves and the routine that is important and how the performer presents it to the audience I would say is the more important part - more important than the props.

Speaking as a magician of course!

Just my opinion and I hope this helps.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16249 Posts

Profile of tommy
There’s more to a bottle cap than keeping liquid from leaking from a bottle. The main thing is to pay attention. Notice what no one else notices and you will know what no one else knows. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
If I may add there was a routine I put out a long time ago back when I was working in my Dads Magic shop. It was called rainbow bottle caps. And it was the shell game using 3 white bottle capes and an added blue and red bottle cap.

The routine had a different shell steal in it than my shell steal that I published in my shell game book. The idea was to do the shell routine with the three white bottle caps - then to help them spot the bottle cap the pea was in I did the routine with one blue and two white.

Then I took out the second white and did it with one red one white and one blue bottle caps.

The interesting thing is that using three different color bottle caps - with the routine - it still fooled and entertained people. I should dig the full routine out again one day.

I hope this helps.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
When I was growing up in Long Beach, California I became friendly with some of the guys in the Bunco Squad, They told me stories. Long Beach had a large Navy base. On weekends the sailors would take the bus from the base into Downtown. A couple of hustlers dressed as sailors were working the bus.

The cops called them a "Salt and Pepper Team," a black guy and a white guy. They specialized in the Shell Game plaed with metal bottle caps and a piece of foam supposedly taken from a tear in the bus seat.

They played on the differences in skin color. If the crowd was mostly white sailors it would be the black partner playing the game. The white partner would do the bit where he would openly remove the pea from under the bottle cap in an attempt to cheat the operator. When the crowd was predominately black it would be the white guy working the caps with his partner removing the "pea."

They had it timed so that the blow off came as the bus came into Downtown, the crowd betting on the cap where they thought they pea had been removed and they were cheating the operator. The cap would be lifted and the pea shown to be there, everyone who bet lost and the two partners would be off the bus in double quick time before anyone could catch on. I don't know how long they worked the area until they moved on, but as a short con it worked well.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Check out TWEEZERS on my site http://www.petebiro.com
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2009-12-04 10:48, David Alexander wrote:
When I was growing up in Long Beach, California I became friendly with some of the guys in the Bunco Squad, They told me stories. Long Beach had a large Navy base. On weekends the sailors would take the bus from the base into Downtown. A couple of hustlers dressed as sailors were working the bus.

The cops called them a "Salt and Pepper Team," a black guy and a white guy. They specialized in the Shell Game plaed with metal bottle caps and a piece of foam supposedly taken from a tear in the bus seat.

They played on the differences in skin color. If the crowd was mostly white sailors it would be the black partner playing the game. The white partner would do the bit where he would openly remove the pea from under the bottle cap in an attempt to cheat the operator. When the crowd was predominately black it would be the white guy working the caps with his partner removing the "pea."

They had it timed so that the blow off came as the bus came into Downtown, the crowd betting on the cap where they thought they pea had been removed and they were cheating the operator. The cap would be lifted and the pea shown to be there, everyone who bet lost and the two partners would be off the bus in double quick time before anyone could catch on. I don't know how long they worked the area until they moved on, but as a short con it worked well.

This is a very old ploy, originally part of the Cups and Balls. See Robert-Houdin's Card Sharpers for a detailed description of "the stolen pea" trick being done in a Parisian restaurant in the 1840's with a ball of bread and three soup bowls.

BTW, the Chanin Dip only appears in a very few sets of shells on the market. It first appeared on a marketed set in our Golden Shells. The original "Chanin Dip" was only hand carved onto a very few sets of shells by Chanin, and was almost unnoticeable since he used soft sponge peas, and not the rubber peas like the S4S peas. Our Chanin replica shells have this small dip in them. All of our other sets (Golden, Brass, Street Shells, Silver Shells) have the much deeper dip designed to work with the Perfect Peas. Black Fox has the deeper Chanin Dip on his Master Shells.

The Chanin Dip is not the little twig notch at the rear of the shell. It is a rocking chair curve from the front to the back of the shell that enables the shell to smoothly roll over the pea without making a clicking noise on a hard surface.

Chanin's idea was to create a slight rocking motion to disguise the exit of the pea when a spectator held his finger on the shell. The School for Scoundrels took the idea a step forward to create a shell that worked well with a less compressible rubber pea on a hard surface like a bar or coffee table.

This enabled us to do the shell game easily on any surface without a mat.

A lot of people confuse the Chanin Dip with the notch at the rear of the shell.

Another great throw-away set is made from small raw potatos. These are often seen in Spain, and were popular in the thirties in the States.

Magicians use nut shells largely because they have a mystique from the Old West, the Gold Rush, and from the street hustlers in the 1920's and 30's as depicted in "The Sting." They are much more familiar to most people from literature and the movies than the bottle caps, potatos, matchboxes, tiny pottery flower pots, and other "toss away" items used primarily today, and are much more attractive as props.

The audience doesn't really care. They never suspect the props. They think they "know" how the trick is done, but think they just can't see it. Most people "get it" right away, and are eager to play no matter which type of prop is used.

It is all about what sort of character the performer wants to play, and what sort of environment he is working in.
Magic Marine
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Magic Marine
[quote]On 2010-01-12 16:43, Whit Haydn wrote:
Quote:

The audience doesn't really care. They never suspect the props. They think they "know" how the trick is done, but think they just can't see it.

Whit,
In your view, how do those folks think it is done?
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Everyone thinks that the operator "steals" the pea out from one shell and puts it under another shell, or that he holds it out in his hand. They are amazed that he can do it so imperceptively.

The real secret is that the pea can not travel under the shells at all, and rolls out by itself as soon as the shell moves. This is what the audience doesn't know that makes the moves so hard to spot. But they don't know that they don't know.

They respond to the shells completely differently than to a magic trick.

In a magic trick, they will later tell the story: "I have no idea how he got the coin in the bottle. It was a real coin and a real bottle. I haven't got a clue what he did."

In the shell game, they tell the story: "I know what he was doing, but I sure couldn't spot it. He was the best I ever saw!"
popcalinda
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of popcalinda
Is there any book, notes, manuscript with shell game with matchboxes, bottle caps...??
In Europe, I mostly see shell game with matchboxes!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Does anyone know about the shell game with bottle caps (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL