The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Questions concerning two DVD sets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rozzerdog
View Profile
New user
California
20 Posts

Profile of Rozzerdog
Greetings fellow Magicians,

I have been performing magic for almost 2 years now, and I have a somewhat good collection of Books/DVD's/etc. But there have been two DVD sets I've wanted ever since I started performing magic, and they are:

Dai Vernon's Revelations 8 DVD set
The Encyclopedia of Card Sleights w/ Daryl 8 DVD set

I have seen many reviews for both, and they have been praised as some of the best teaching DVD's that should be in every magicians collection. Now, I just have a few questions about both of them, so I'll first begin with The Encyclopedia of Card Sleights DVD set.

There are an incredible amount of sleights on all the DVD's, and I would like to learn a majority of the sleights. But then again, there are some sleights I have no idea what they are or if I'll ever add them to any of my routines. Would it be good to buy both complete sets, just to have them when I need them. Or needing them only to not have them. I would greatly appreciate any insight/opinions/advice about this whole DVD Set.

As for Dai Vernon's Revelation 8 DVD set, my questions and concerns are similar to Daryl's Encyclopedia DVD set.

Since both sets are pretty darn expensive, I want to be 100% sure if I should buy them, and then set a goal to learn and then perform a majority from all the DVD's.

In closing, I would greatly appreciate anyone here helping me with these questions and concerns, and let me know that they are going to be money well spent. Thank you in advance to whomever can help me with this, I would tremendously appreciate any and all advice.
ico
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
109 Posts

Profile of ico
From the clips I've seen, Daryl just goes over a ton of various sleights rather fast, while Dai Vernon DVDs are much more conversational, going over presentation details (which I like more), and there are other famous people in those (Ammar, I think?)

I have not watched either series at length, though. maybe have look in the review section again?
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Yes, Michael Ammar is on the Dai Vernon DVDs. He was very much a pupil of the master.

As a hint to possibly keeping costs down, might I suggest that you go to L&L Publishing's website and sign on for their emails. Sometimes they offer some really good deals on their DVD sets.

While having them around for referencing is a good idea, I do consider the idea of trying to learn most of the sleights as unnecessary unless you have a specific idea in mind for using them. Better to learn how to do a few things well than several things badly.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Rozzerdog
View Profile
New user
California
20 Posts

Profile of Rozzerdog
Thank you guys for responding to my post, I'm starting to get a better idea on what I will be purchasing next. I also am subscribed to L&L Publishing's mail list, and the deal they're having right now is absolutely incredible. So now, without a doubt I'll be purchasing the Dai Vernon's Revelation 8 DVD set, but I can't seem to decide on what the other DVD set I'd like to go along with it.

I've been looking at either getting Daryl's Card Revelations 5 DVD set, or Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles 9 DVD set.

Does anyone prefer one more than the other? I really like the way both of them present the effects and then demonstrates them. But I'm sitting here, pulling my hair out on which of the two I should choose for this incredible offer from L&L Publishing.
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
298 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
I prefer the Daryl DVDs. I have both and The Dai Vernon set is good for historical information. The Daryl DVDs get into the mechanics of card working. The Vernon set encompasses a diverse amount of magic and concepts. To learn sleights I would go with Daryl. If you want history then go with The Dai Vernon set. I also have the Michael Ammar Easy To Master Card Miracles set and it is very good. The EMCM set teaches more tricks than sleights. So it is up to you. The more tools i.e. sleights you have at your disposal, the more solid you will be in magic.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
Rozzerdog
View Profile
New user
California
20 Posts

Profile of Rozzerdog
Thank you all once again for helping me with these questions I have been mulling over in my head for the past few days. Now I am confident in what I should consider buying and how they will help further me in our truly amazing art form of Magic.
coolini
View Profile
Regular user
australia
176 Posts

Profile of coolini
Another point about Dai Vernon DVDs is that they deal with all aspects of magic from cups and balls, cards, linking rings, and coins...
Rozzerdog
View Profile
New user
California
20 Posts

Profile of Rozzerdog
Quote:
On 2009-11-19 06:24, coolini wrote:
Another point about Dai Vernon DVDs is that they deal with all aspects of magic from cups and balls, cards, linking rings, and coins...

I ordered and received the complete set, and I agree with you that it covers so many different aspects of Magic, that I find myself watching each DVD twice, and I haven't even gone through all the DVD's yet!

Another aspect that I find invaluable that is taught by The Professor, Michal Ammar (with a full head of hair!) Steve Freeman, and Gary Ouellet are all the nuances of how to handle the cards, routines, the effects and so much more that I haven't seen discussed anywhere else. Especially on how to make your performances look natural, and like the Professor said, "Without showing your audience how clever you are with a deck of cards". I am so extremely happy with this purchase and it has already boosted my performance in ways I never even thought imaginable.

It was kind of expensive, but so well worth the money, and the skills I have learned so far will be something I use for the rest of my career in Magic.

On a side note, I also picked up Michael Ammar's 9 Volume Easy to Master Card Miracles, and all the effects taught on those DVD's are really stellar effects. With many that I will eventually add to my routine, and I must say, L&L Publishing really did an amazing job for offering such a great special/deal to all Magicians who want to obtain some of their best collection of Magic DVD's.
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
298 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
Glad they worked out for you. Did you catch Vernon fussing with Ammar (on Triumph I believe). Ouellet's routine with the ol' school jam box. Funny stuff. If you get the book Dai Vernon A Biography it supplements the set on the historical side. The Ammar set has pretty standard effects with a few odds and ends. There is a supplement for ETMCM, Amazing Secrets of Card Magic is pretty good as well. Peace.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Questions concerning two DVD sets (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL