The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » One 5inch or 260 white vs 2 eyeballs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I see from a lot of instructional videos that the classic way to make googly eyes is to twist a 5inch round, or a 260 for two eyeballs. I have been using pre-printed eyeballs. The downside is the expense of 2 balloons vs 1, but I am wondering whether there are strong opinions among balloonists on whether eyeball balloons are in some way inferior, or cheating. Any thoughts?
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Did an Eyeball balloon for a smart Alec kid who thought I couldn't make an eyeball. Very suprised I had printed ones.

Totally depends on effect desired.... Monsters and cyclops Preprinted. Friendly eye balloons and the one with the line not worth the price. I can draw it just as fast.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Steve Yarosko
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Steve Yarosko
I imagine that there are just as many opinions on this topic as there are on the pump vs. mouth inflate debate. I use the eye ball print ( the one with the lines) as well as the friendly eye ball print. I use the friendly eye ball print mostly for fish and Elmo. I use the eye ball print for the Octopus, and various other applications. I also will twist a five inch round in half and draw on a lot of figures as well. If I am making a centerpiece or special sculpture I will use two barely inflated 5" rounds instead one twisted in half. By doing this, I don't have to worry about air leaking from one half to the other.
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Profile of Scruffy the Clown
I some times use a white hear divided in two. it's another option, and can be used to make the eyes look like the are bulging out and kinda pointing at something.
MiketheMagicDude
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
270 Posts

Profile of MiketheMagicDude
The problem with the title of the topic is the word "vs"

Use them all. Mix and match. Experiment. Create.

Why not use yellow eyeballs....or red eyeballs for an evil creature.

There is no "one over the other."

NO TWO BALLOON ANIMALS THE SAME!!!!!!

Have fun.
Jay Ward
View Profile
Veteran user
Flowery Branch, GA
328 Posts

Profile of Jay Ward
I definitely use all three methods for eyeballs. To reiterate the others, just depends on the sculpture. You can also use white hearts instead of rounds, but rounds are cheaper. I make a frog with 2 big round eyes. I tried the prints, but using a round divided with big pupils drawn on looked way better to me. In a pinch, I have used a 260, 350, and white single-dipped bee body for eyes for the exact same frog sculpture. The round still looks best. So, there's no 1 way to do anything - just your personal favorite way. It also may come down to how many types of balloons you want to attempt to stuff in you balloon apron. You can hold onto your white 260 scraps to use for eyes on another sculpture too. And save your red 260 ends for Rudolph's nose!
Jay Ward
View Profile
Veteran user
Flowery Branch, GA
328 Posts

Profile of Jay Ward
Also to address the last part of what you were saying, Rev. I think part of being a balloon man (or woman) is being prepared with lots of crazy balloons. When a kid asks for a Spiderman, and I finish it off with the actual Spiderman head, they love it! I think having a variety of balloons shows professionalism. And since most folks are expecting a basic sword or dog, putting eyes on a balloon will amaze them. Or as the old folks say around here, get 'em "plumb tickled."
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Speaking of being prepared....

My next aricle in MAgic Menu will be about organization.

Here is a great product I recommend:
http://shop.diamondstorm.com/index.php?m......s_id=221

Balloons at a Glance Organizer
$5.00
Organize your rounds, hearts, prints, and 321's with these organizers! The organizers hold 18 different balloons on one side and fits within balloon apron pockets. You'll save time finding the right balloon instead of searching through unorganized pockets of balloons! They are easy and quick to load, and easy to retrieve the selected balloon. Most professional entertainers use one for their 6" hearts, one for their 5" rounds, and one for their prints.

Tell Ed I sent you!!
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Buster Balloon
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of Buster Balloon
Next to 260s and 350s I use more 5" prints than anything else.

Plus I could never draw anything as detailed as the creepy eyeball or Spider-man prints. I carry Both eyeball designs (creepy and friendly) aliens, smiley faces, pirate skulls, pooh bear, disney princess, marvel super heros, spider man in red and black, batman, skulls, pumpkins, vampires, stars around, flowers around, and butterflies around. And that is just in 5". I carry a lot of larger printed balloons also like the polka dots and some Disney characters. They are life savers when you need to work fast, or just want really clean artwork.

*This is not a paid endorsement. Buster Balloon received no product or other compensation for this gratuitous plug.
Buster Balloon
Creative Genius, Balloon Twisting Savant, & Pre-Sweetened Breakfast Cereal Connoisseur
http://BusterBalloon.com
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I love the special balloons. In my short career, I can say that those really catch people's attention and say "professional." They're used to seeing 260s only in 1 or 2 balloon animals. A big googly eyed fishing pole hat is my biggest request once I do one.

I've considered the superhero heads, and I saw the video you did on hats with them, but I haven't committed to get them yet, though I think I may need to. I know you do really impressive work with detail, did you ever have a kid respond to a printed character head with "you're cheating!" ? Or anything like it?

BTW - Don, my daughter is psyched to meet you at T&S in February. She watches my balloon DVDs like entertainment. If Mark were there with the motorcycle too, she'd faint.
Buster Balloon
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

I have never been accused of "cheating" for using printed balloons, and I can bust out some pretty fancy art work myself when needed.

On the occasion that I am accused of cheating (usually for using a pump or rubber cement) I simply quote the great poet and philosopher Jesse "The Body" Ventura,

"Win if you can, lose if you must, but always, always cheat".
Buster Balloon
Creative Genius, Balloon Twisting Savant, & Pre-Sweetened Breakfast Cereal Connoisseur
magicone
View Profile
Veteran user
Doylestown, PA
357 Posts

Profile of magicone
Revlovejoy,

I actually make the same octo/squid that you have in your avatar with the same pre-printed balloons and EVERYONE loves it. I've never had a child or adult for that matter say I'm cheating.

I'm not a full time twister but offer it with my magic shows and I don't consider myself all that good until recently when I started to offer a basic balloon twisting teaching class.

We (people who twist at all) often forget that even the basic dog is hard if you've not done them before. Many times at the end of my magic show/balloons I will have an older sibling or teen come up and ask how I do the balloons so fast and can I teach them.

I always take a moment (when time permits) to try to teach those who ask a basic dog as I like to inspire children as much as entertain them. It also reminds me that it does take some practice to do even the basics.

If anyone says "your cheating" just hand them a balloon and ask them to make you a dog - they might appreciate you more Smile

I'd be interested in seeing a photo of your fishing hat!

Thanks,
David
Jay Ward
View Profile
Veteran user
Flowery Branch, GA
328 Posts

Profile of Jay Ward
Quote:
On 2009-12-04 09:48, Buster Balloon wrote:
On the occasion that I am accused of cheating (usually for using a pump or rubber cement)

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Don Caldwell using a pump? Stop the presses! I thought you were a devout mouth blower-upper? Well, all I can say is "welcome - the pump folk are a good people, and we shall make you our king!"
Ok, I'm going to go call Balloon Guy Mike and tell him he can get a pump now and still wear his WWBBD bracelet!
Buster Balloon using a pump. What...is the world coming to? -Buford T. Justice "Smokey and the Bandit."
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2009-12-04 10:10, magicone wrote:
Revlovejoy,

I actually make the same octo/squid that you have in your avatar with the same pre-printed balloons and EVERYONE loves it. I've never had a child or adult for that matter say I'm cheating.

The creator of the squid is the great Don Caldwell
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Quote:

The creator of the squid is the great Don Caldwell

Why yes he is - I just got back to this thread - I hope no one thought I was in any way taking credit for that one, someone else pointed out they make it too - it's my favorite thing after the monkey on MHaWW1.

I find people are impressed with the eyeballs, the only reservation I had was on the superhero heads. I guess it's time to order some and see the reactions.
Buster Balloon
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

[/quote]
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Don Caldwell using a pump? Stop the presses! I thought you were a devout mouth blower-upper? Well, all I can say is "welcome - the pump folk are a good people, and we shall make you our king!"
Ok, I'm going to go call Balloon Guy Mike and tell him he can get a pump now and still wear his WWBBD bracelet!
Buster Balloon using a pump. What...is the world coming to? -Buford T. Justice "Smokey and the Bandit."
[/quote]

While I am a devout mouth blower (wow that sounds wrong), there are occasions when even I will use a pump. Usually it is when I am using a clear balloon and want it to stay crystal clear (mouth blowing creates humidity and fogs the balloon faster) or I am stuffing something inside that needs to stay dry, like some ones watch or cell phone.

All of that said, I always encourage others to use a pump. There are very real and legitimate health concerns for those of us who mouth inflate, and I believe the true test of a balloon artist is what they do after the balloon is inflated, not before.
Buster Balloon
Steve Yarosko
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Steve Yarosko
Hey Revlovejoy,

I've been making the superhero hats that Don teaches on his Youtube channel almost since he first posted them. The amount-of-work/reaction ratio puts these sculptures in the worker category for me. On an event I worked on Halloween, a little boy was wearing a Wolverine costume and he loved the Wolverine hat I made him. I made the Hulk earlier today at an event for an adult man. He kept it on the whole party.

Thanks Don/Buster once again for sharing your ideas and concepts with the balloon artists and craftspeople.

Steve
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
I agree they simple and quick the faces do cost a lot though..
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
752 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
I have a PUMP thank you very much Jay Ward..

and I have even looked into the depth of the endless super bag-o-balloons which is Don's and he has a pump in the bag.. it is dusty and I believe there is a small animal living in it.. but it is there LOL

I even have 3 electric pumps..

it all comes down to WWBBD

wait did I really just propagate the joke..
did I really just do that..

and lastly
as Prof. Eugene Witless says
"It's not about balloon safety, it's about how much you can torture the little guys before they POP.. now where did I leave that,, hrmm what where we talking about?"
Jay Ward
View Profile
Veteran user
Flowery Branch, GA
328 Posts

Profile of Jay Ward
Well, having a pump is only the first step!
Step 1 - Have a pump.
Step 2 - Use the pump to blow up a balloon.
Step 3 - Do this many times for lots of kids.
Step 4 - Start a rumor in the balloon community that Jay Ward is cool.
Step 5 - Start up http://www.wwbbd.com. Then make Prof. Eugene Witless the fictitious arch villian of Buster Balloon.
Step 6 - Hope Don Caldwell gets the humor and decides not to sue.

Get to work buddy!

And I've never seen your electric pumps!?! What up with that man? Just because your wife says we're not allowed to talk or touch balloons when I come over is no excuse, btw! She never said shasta about pumps!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » One 5inch or 260 white vs 2 eyeballs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL