The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Backdrop Size (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
Oakville, Ontario, Canada!
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
OK, I just want to know how large of a backdrop I can get with $1000.

For the MIRROLAHM material. $12/yard.
What I don't know is, how bid would that yard be? Is this a yard squared?
How long & wide is it?

With that $1000. I don't know if that can get me a lot or barely anything.
How many inches or feet could I get wide x long?
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

Email: dop-michaelfrymus@live.com
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
You're going to have to check with the supplier to find out the width. Fabrics come in different widths. Without that information, there's no way to tell you how big a backdrop you can have made.

Let's say it 60" wide (5'). To make a 9' foot panel, you need three yards. That will give you a 9'x5' panel. That single panel costs $36 if it is $12/yard. Three panels will give you a 15' wide by 9' tall backdrop at a cost of $108.

If you want it to be 12' tall, then each panel costs $48. If you want it to be 12' tall x 20' wide, you're looking at $192. (4 panels x $48.)

It would be easiest if you explained how tall you want the backdrop to be, how wide you want the backdrop to be and what width the material comes in.

Michael
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
My Mirrorlash backdrop (cut and hemmed) was about $200 (8 x 10.) I also have an antique velvet back drop (8 x 10) which was slightly more completely hemmed. For a larger stage, I'll sometimes use a second tripod using both sets.

Dan.
M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
Thank a lot!
I get it. I thought it would be per squared yard. No matter what size.

Is there a standard width? I contacted several places but I received no response yet. Is there a standard with, or could it be a random amount?

And, I'm not too sure on the size.
I want it to be large enough to be safe in most venues.
That's somewhere around 18' tall x 42' wide perhaps? NO idea. That could be way too much anyways.
I'm going to ask around some places about the stage curtains to see which width & height would be best.

*Actually, according to my calculations, if the material is 3' wide (1 yard) than it would be pretty much $1000. Great!
But, the wider the better!
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

I am not an expert on this topic and there are likely some folks who have specific expertise. I know that each fabric comes in a specific roll width and you might be limited to that width. You might need to hang multiple drapes for varying sizes beyond that.

Dan.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

What venues are you wanting to use it for? For theaters with a real stage, it will be larger than if you're referring to banquet halls, hotels, etc.

Assuming a 60" width (as per my earlier example), the cost should be lest than the $650 for the material alone. You would have 9 panels that are 18' x 5' (the panels are sewn together at the edges.) Each panel would be $72. That would give you approximately 45' in width. You might want to use more width than that if don't want the drop to be stretched flat but would like to have the typical waves in the drop.
M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
Thanks guys!
I found some guy on the Café who has this material. He said the typical size is 42-48" in width. He has it for 56" from what I remember. This would give me plenty of material.

I understand the cost factor. But, not the way the material is made. If I have 8 panels, would they be all sown together or be individual pieces?

If its one large backdrop, is it possible in the future to purchase additional panels and attach it to the existing backdrop to make if wider if necessary? (not saying it is anytime soon, but you never know)

*Yes, this is for med. sized stages. I know that 45' is a bit more than I need right now, but its better to have more than less. And yes, I want it flat not pleated.
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

The panels are usually sewn together but can be two sections (Each 20' - 22'.) That's going to depend on whether you want to walk through a center opening in the backdrop or not. My backdrop system for larger shows is 12' wide x 9' tall. The width of the material is closer to 16' as I do have pleats in mine. I have it sewn into two 6' panels so I can use a center opening.

How will you be supporting the backdrop? If you're going to be hanging them from a pipe batten (traditional theater set up), then you'll probably want the backdrop to be one piece. If you're using portable backdrop stands, you may want them in two sections.

Michael
M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
I was thinking of a truss, as it would be easiest to setup lights on it, adjustable size, and setup anywhere. But the pipe is cheaper, I believe.

I don't know how the pipe version works exactly.
What is it made from? - where do I get it?

What is supporting the pipe? - Because not everywhere will I be able to hang it from above if that's how its done.

And the problem to this is, can it be made smaller/bigger?
As not all stages are the same, can I make it smaller for small stages, and then just stretch it out or connect several pipes together to make it longer?

*No, I don't need any openings in the middle, or anywhere. The reason I think it would be better to have panels instead of a whole piece is that I can set up how many panels I want. If its a small stage, I need to put on only a few panels. If its large, I put on more. But, Im worried that it may show. You will be able to see the individual panels, or a gap may appear.
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

Pipe battens are part of a theater's stage. They are overhead. If you'll be performing in other types of venues, you won't want to go that route. The other options are portable backdrop stands or, as you mentioned, trusses. Trusses will cost more and be heavier to transport but they are more versatile. You already know you can hang lights from them.
M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
I see...
I am still looking around like made to find something that will hold the backdrop. I contacted a few places. One guy asked the wieght of the backdrop.

Does anyone know how the top of the material is made?
I want to be able to attach it to a pipe if in a theater, but also be able to attach it to a truss, which I will use most often.

*The only thing I can think of is having the top have 2 pieces of fabric sown together like a shoe lace. Those pieces would wrap around the pipe/truss, and then just tie it together. All I need is to have a lot of these to support the full backdrop. Basically a 1-2' gap in between each pair.
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

I use a portable T-bar tripod which can hold a fair bit of weight without any difficulty. I slide PVC pipe on each side of the T-bar so my width is adjustable. If you extend beyond an additional 3-4', the PVC can sag a little which I find distracting. For a larger stage I have an adjustable 6' pipe that slides over one side of 2 T-bar tripods. That gives me 9-10' in the middle and an additional 3-4' on the outer sides of each T-bar for a 16' total backdrop. I also use a 3' banner stand on each side to create wings and conceal some aditional props and PTS rigging. The whole thing is very portable and easily sets up in just a few minutes.

Dan.
M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
Still thinking about what to hold the backdrop.
I might as well consider the pipe method as that's how its done in a theater. And I must hope that for now if I use this method, I can attach the pipe by something above!

Now, my new questions..
I need the pipe. Where can I get any kind of a metal, aluminum, or any type of pipe that has a male screw in end and a female screw in end on opposite sides of the pipe? Looking to have about 9 pipes in total about 5' long or less(the better) each.

Anyone know where I could get some?

And/or how about this?
Usig the 'Travaller track' - Same thing, 9 pieces by 5' long or less. And must connect to one another.
http://www.northeaststage.com/images/pho......s_lg.jpg
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

Cody Moynihan
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Cody Moynihan
What about something like this.
http://www.onlineeei.com/drapes.cfm?gcli......odTVB1pg
Cody
M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
Quote:
On 2009-11-10 21:50, Cody Moynihan wrote:
What about something like this.
http://www.onlineeei.com/drapes.cfm?gcli......odTVB1pg

Those are not large enough.
This backdrop will be 21' x 45'
Most of these supports on this site and other sites go only up to 16'-18'
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
208 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
Contact Georgia Stage at http://www.gastage.com Bill Kress is the owner and is a magician.
They make curtains for large stages.
He can give you all kinds of advice and maybe know where some used curtains might be found from his job sites.
Frankly, you seem to be trying to reinvent the wheel here. A backdrop as big as you are proposing may already be at the venue you are using. You could also consider renting. Check with some local production or stage groups to see what they suggest.
I just would hate to see you spend that much to experiment with what you are looking for.
Lynn Fox
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I use portable back drop frames that are used for photographers. They come in different sizes like 10x10 or 10x20 for all of my stage shows that require a back drop. my 2 cents
M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
Quote:
On 2009-11-11 09:12, Foxbiz wrote:
Contact Georgia Stage at http://www.gastage.com Bill Kress is the owner and is a magician.
They make curtains for large stages.
He can give you all kinds of advice and maybe know where some used curtains might be found from his job sites.
Frankly, you seem to be trying to reinvent the wheel here. A backdrop as big as you are proposing may already be at the venue you are using. You could also consider renting. Check with some local production or stage groups to see what they suggest.
I just would hate to see you spend that much to experiment with what you are looking for.

I know which backdrop I am getting. I know everything. What I am asking is a way to hang it. Not which backdrop or where to get it.
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22858 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Contact your drama class teacher in school. You probably have the set up you are looking for at your school. Ask your teacher to show you the set up and how they curtains are hung and if it is the same for all stages.
M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
Quote:
Contact your drama class teacher in school. You probably have the set up you are looking for at your school. Ask your teacher to show you the set up and how they curtains are hung and if it is the same for all stages.

I took a look before, and they have a series of pipes going side-to-side and forward-back. Curtains are hung on there, and there are permanent curtains attached on travaller racks so the curtains can be moved.

The problem is, Im not sure if all places would have those pipes to hang the backdrop on. I know a lot of the places have them.. but I don't know if all the places I would perform at do have them. I never really looked at it before when I performed. I never needed a backdrop, so I didn't care.
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Backdrop Size (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.36 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL