The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Edge readers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15736 Posts

Profile of tommy
What would be the best edge readers to put into a game, from a players, rather than a dealers, position?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Maitre D
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Maitre D
I'm not really sure about a "best" method, but nail-nicking the edge comes to my mind. I played in a game once where I almost immediately spotted some rather obvious nicking on the edges of some cards on my first turn to shuffle. I guess the lesson here is you don't need to put in nearly as much work as you'd think when applying a nail-nick.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15736 Posts

Profile of tommy
Interference paint is a polymer emulsion (paint) containing titanium-coated mica flakes. Painted over a dark color you see the labeled interference color. Painted over a light color you see the complimentary color. The color changes depending upon the angle you've viewing the paint at. You can pick it up in art shops but I tried pulling the edge through but it is hard to see, you do get little reflection now and again at the right angle. Not really any good for the edge though. I have tried various things but they are all either too obvious to see or too hard to see. Them burn cards are a nonsense I like to see whats coming on the board.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15736 Posts

Profile of tommy
If you put invisible micro dots on the faces of the aces they would create micro breaks that you might just be able to see.

Tommy
doubletime
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of doubletime
You can do so much with a nail nick.

I'd say it was a year before I could spot the top card and know what it was just from the edge.

in the right context of the game it's easy to not get spotted.

some great books out there, stick to the classics.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15736 Posts

Profile of tommy
The old nail nick at my place gets nailed faster than a speeding bullet, as the ruse is so well known that the players keep their eyes well peeled for them. And when they happen to find one, theere is a great stewards enquiry as to who has got the nails and cheek to have done it and to think they could get away with it. And when I am dealing in my game and find one I say, I don’t know who is nailing my cards but if he does it again I will break his fingers. Do ye think ye play with babies?

Tommy
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2459 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Why not add extra nail nicks to confuse him Smile
Long Island,

New York
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Texan Palmetto's right out of the box.
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1245 Posts

Profile of splice
See, here's the thing about the palmettos. Great for magic, but really, in how many games do you play that the cards never ever change orientation?

You simply cannot rely on every card in the deck retaining the same orientation so that you can spot cards you reversed. I honestly don't see how you would use the palmettos' feature in a game.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Perhaps if you make your play on the first hand after a new deck has been cracked open, you're done.

One play is usually all it takes to go home richer than the rest of the saps.

Another possibly relevant observation is that, outside of certain circles Palmetto's will arouse undue attention simply due to their relative rarity.
Also those who may be more in the know than others will likely remember "something" about those Palmettos from either threads like this, or old, out of print magic books.

Bottom line is they're flawless edge readers right out of the box.........folks can do with that what they will.

I do like them though, they're super thin and handle real pretty like. They also chop up nice with my Porper chopper, and remain edge readers after they've been chopped.......which also creates new possibilities.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Edge readers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL