The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How old is Too Old? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Here's a question for you guys and gals that I struggle with. As most of you do, I maintain a mailing list of both kids and parents names. Each year as newsletters go out or promotional materials are dutifully mailed, these kids get older. Is there a point after which you feel it is counterproductive to keep a name on your active mailing list?
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
If you do other shows other then children's parties, then keep them ALL on your mailing list. It is better to be able to turn down shows work then not get the calls at all.

That said, I keep away from anything aimed at 10-18 years. (high schools etc.) I just don't need the stress.

Smile
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Nicholas,
High schooler's are great! I have a lot of fun performing for them. Once in a great while, I'll get a heckler, but what is so cool is that 100% of the time, the others will jump on their back and tell them to let the magician do his stuff! I keep the mailing list going for ever.

Recently, I booked a show for a lady's 5 year old. She hired me because she remembered me when I entertained her at one of her birthday parties 20 years ago!

Seems to me I did that first show for $35...

Steven
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
I would include on your mailing list info on other members in the family....like younger brothers.

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
Sunny Idaho
1541 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Most of the time people (especially magicians) get heckled not because of the age of the audience but because they have poor shows and/or just misread the audience.
mnmagic
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of mnmagic
Futureal,

I bet if you asked nearly every pro in the Café if they have ever had a heckler most would say yes, at some time. Yet I highly doubt they all had bad shows or misread an entire audience.

To address frankft's question:

I work with Jr. High at my church and watch them transform (sometimes almost overnight Smile ). What they loved yesterday, they hate and find boring today.

And now with the popularity of folks like David Blaine and such, the type of magic older kids expect to see may change too.

So unless you want to mess your hair up, untuck your shirt, and bite through a quarter, maybe you want to consider stopping around 6th grade.

Shawn
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
<<<<<<Most of the time people (especially magicians) get heckled because they have poor shows and/or just misread the audience>>>>>

That's total rubbish. Everyone gets heckled at one time or another. You can have a room full of people enjoying the show and one prat who wants to be the centre of attention.
Sometimes they're drunk, sometimes just a prat. In a kids case it's a kid trying to prove to his peers how clever he is (or thinks he is). It's got nothing to do with mis-reading the audience.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Zap
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Zap
It depends on how many different shows you can do. If you only do the stereotypical Kid Show (rabbits, Magic Coloring book, etc), then I think 10 is the absolute upper limit.
unklepaul
View Profile
New user
hemel hempstead, uk
84 Posts

Profile of unklepaul
Thanks Emazdad!
I am fairly new to performing, and did a school fete today; three twenty minute slots. After the first slot a young lad showed an interest and stuck around to see some more tricks. He wanted to be a helper in the second slot, and I thought he seemed OK, but during a Chico the Chimp routine he just turned round and said "its on my back". I had to scrap the trick and really lost my way.

Luckily the third slot went well so I didn't feel too bad, but its damaged my confidence.
I guess its all part of the learning curve, but I guess trying to please all ages was a tall order.

Nine year-old hecklers, who needs em? I'll stick to a younger crowd for now!
om mani padme hum
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
973 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Good thread,
I actually thought this thread was going to be "How old should us magi be before we stop trying to entertain little kids"? As a guy who's almost pushing 50 I have at times wondered about this question.
JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How old is Too Old? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL