The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » My Cold Deck Switch idea (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
I've exchanged a few friendly PM's with acesover, everything's fine.
I'll leave him free to comment (or not)as he see's fit to.

I'm certainly one of the most guilty parties in the forum for jumping down throats of folks when they become somewhat belligerent towards certain "certainties" that those who have studied longer take for granted.

I have to sometimes give my head a shake and recall back to a time when I didn't understand frick-all about cheating, but thought I understood everything.
The Dunning-Kruger Effect mentioned above shouldn't be underestimated, and deserves remembering that the person so suffering really can't know the truth, because they simply don't have the tools to identify the truth.

Folks have to be given the tools before they can process the information.
(I have to remember this myself......please help me remember this myself Smile )

Folks can only depend on their own (sometimes very strong) opinion of the topic at hand.......and as we all know, sometimes that opinion is so far off base that it's impossible to respond without becoming angry.

That anger is easily doubled if the respondent continues to insist they're right, and that same anger can triple if the respondent begins to insist that because you're not agreeing with them, that it's you who must be ignorant of the facts........thus we have the Dunning-Kruger Effect in all its glory.

The proper response to those who argue from the Dunning-Kruger Effect POV is to continue to try and share information, to educate as best one can, and to make efforts to share information that we ourselves were once desperate to get a hold of, and were in some instances beyond amazement when we came into the possession of real information from professionals.

In other words, we're best to try and remember what it was like for us when we knew frick-all.

It's difficult, and my guilt is high.......but it's probably worth the effort in the Gambling Spot simply because this forum is unique on the Café.
Bret Maverick
View Profile
Regular user
U.S.A.
188 Posts

Profile of Bret Maverick
Excellent posts silverking - very informative and influential towards encouraging self-examinations by all of us.

And, don't despair about posting a knee-jerk response; we've all shot from the hip on occasion and regretted it seconds after the "edit" button disappeared. Such is our modern life in cyberspace, where our written words often do not accurately reflect our true intentions. I didn't interpret your advice as admonishment but, on the other hand, the comments were not directed at me, which afforded me the opportunity to digest the text in an unbiased light and in the spirit offered.

"Shut up and listen" may read as harsh fighting words but, if given an opportunity to see and hear you offer that advice personally those same words would not be interpreted as a derogatory warning.

Bret
"If all a man can count on is finally pushing up the grass, when I do I'll lay you odds that grass is mine!" - Theme Song For The T.V. Series BRET MAVERICK, by Ed Bruce
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
I guess a coupier could do this perhaps because after the shuffle he cuts with one hand and his other hand might naturally drop down below the table at that point. I will have to have an experiment with it to see. Might br simpler to to it the old wsy of just slide off as if catching it. If I was working in a steer game I think I would want do it as simple as posible rather than the most deceptive way.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Euro76 - speaking as a magician and just for magic. This is a great deck switch idea - thanks for doing the video and the link.

Keep up the great work and thanks again.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
euro76
View Profile
New user
Toronto
30 Posts

Profile of euro76
Here is New Improved ver. (I think...)

I tried to fix:

1. Flashing bottom.
2. Tilting left hand by dragging warm deck back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJPS1DhXWlc

However, I could not fixed shooting on the lap or control warm deck.
I will work more on control warm deck

got any better? or worth? Smile I'm nervous
Maitre D
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Maitre D
There's not much of a retention of vision with this switch, it disappears from view for a second.

You need to work on the position of your left hand before the switch. It's not in a natural position with your 4th finger out, 3rd finger curled tightly, 2nd finger bent loosely, etc. Here's a thought - you can likely cover the unnaturalness if you reposition your hand below the table with a couple fingers resting on the edge. Bring it up when you're just about to do the switch.
Maitre D
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Maitre D
More importantly, what do YOU think about this switch? Is it better or worse? What can be improved? Having a keen eye for evaluating and criticizing your own work is mandatory to becoming skillful with cards, or anything for that matter.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
I think having the hand on the table with the cooler in it is, in and of itself dangerous, as it can be nailed from various angles. So it seems to me, better to come up from below the edge of the table to do the switch.. After all the hand that has the cooler must at some point go down and bring the cooler up. And if it can be done this way then it might do for the croupier procedure; The croup shuffles and cuts with one hand, dropping his other hand down to get the cooler and then brings it up to do the switch as he drags the warn deck to edge with his hand that was used to cut it. Have you tried that way?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
doubletime
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of doubletime
There are so many great switches out there.

I stick to what my mentor always taught me.

simple is better.

simple misdirection, simple movement.

kiss.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
A lot of them would simply not conform with formal proceduer, the ones that do are worth looking into, as that is where the money is. Not much money on the kitchen table games it seems to me.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » My Cold Deck Switch idea (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL