The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Online Yellow Page Scam (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
This may be common knowledge, yet this is worth posting if I can save one magic peer from this headache. My business line is receiving at least two calls a week from the "Online Yellow Pages" to update my "Free Listing." The caller always has a heavy accent. (Not that there's anything wrong with that - it just helps to ID these calls.) Smile

If you get a call asking you to update your FREE online or print yellow page listing, DO NOT answer any questions. Simply hang up. You can tell them not to call you again...but, it has no affect whatsoever. They WILL call again and again and again. Just repeat the process and NEVER EVER answer ANY questions.

They seem valid. A close friend made it clear that he did not want any enhanced services. He stated that he would not pay for any online service. The caller said there was no charge or obligation (How nice of them!). The caller asked him to confirm his business name, phone number and business address. My buddy answered "Yes" or "That's Correct" to each question. The caller then asked my buddy to state his position title and spell his name. Harmless enough, right?

A few weeks later the "collections" department from OYP calls, saying he needed to pay a few hundred dollars. They played a recording pieced together with him saying "yes" to extra services.

It's my understanding that they're playing a numbers game, looking for companies that don't monitor their bills and others who just pay to avoid the harassing phone calls and threats of credit harm. According to online complaint sites, they're toothless and can't actually harm your credit...the repeat collection calls are just annoying.

Anytime I hear the word FREE from anyone other than a known friend or an established vendor, I simply hang up. Please don't let these scumbags catch you unawares!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Definitely a scam. I spent about 15 minutes on the phone with these jerks two days ago while I was sitting in a hotel room in Atlantic City before I blew them off. The guy kept assuring me that it was entirely free, but when I was being recorded for "verification/authorization," he tried to get me to agree with to a $29.95 charge. Every time I stopped and said, "Wait a minute..." he had to start the recording all over again. The guy got very frustrated and by third recording attempt, became rude, so I told him firmly, "no, thanks!" and hung. He tried calling me back twice, but I did not answer. Now I just hope I don't see a charge on my phone bill-and I will monitor it.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
See my post on Phone bills charges not authorized done by simple responded to an ad on the internet. (I think it was related to those side ads on face book but not sure. I have a teenager who did it unknowingly.) Once clicked you get a $15-25 charge on your phone bill.)

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=30&3
Dennis Michael
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Yikes!

Thanks!
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
If I have some spare time .. I hope they call Smile

The mental image of me answering their questions while in the shower with my pet poodle will be a good start! Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Give 'em h*ll, Psy Sam! Muahahahahahahahaha!!!! Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Not sure which one scares me more... the scam or Psychic Sam! (Hehehehehe!) I'd LOVE to listen in that call! (Ha!)

Whoo Hoo!
- D
<><
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Unflippin' believable how far some people will go! Thanks for the heads up.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Register your with the "Do not call list": https://www.donotcall.gov/

If someone calls you after you register, ask them questions as if you are interested in their services. If you get all the information, make a complaint against that company: https://complaints.donotcall.gov/complai......?panel=2
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
UNFORTUNATLY, as I understand it, the "Do Not Call" list does NOT apply to "business". It SHOULD, but oh well...

TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2819 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I don't think you can either. You have to ask each one to take you off the list.
Of course they never do so about the only thing you can do is ask for
their business while you got em on the phone. Smile

I've had it out with AT&T (our local business phone company)
many times over the past year. They contract out to phone groups to do their calling/selling. It's a headache.

Tom
Kind People Are The Best Kind Of People

www.tomboleware.com
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Hehehehe... true enough!

I actually was able to turn a sales call into real business... nUtZ man!

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-11-03 20:20, TheDean wrote:
UNFORTUNATLY, as I understand it, the "Do Not Call" list does NOT apply to "business". It SHOULD, but oh well...

Yea, you are right...
"The national Do-Not-Call list protects home voice or personal wireless phone numbers only. While you may be able to register a business number, your registration will not make telephone solicitations to that number unlawful."

But what about personal home lines that consumers also use for business?

Posted: Nov 4, 2009 12:47am
This is the best way to deal with telemarketers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5z4Vs26-TI
phoeberyan
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of phoeberyan
Seeing the popularity of ads online, many websites dedicated to classified ads were created. These classified ad websites served as a primary purpose to buy and sell things to a plethora of people. One such popular classified ads platform was Backpage. But various complaints filed against it led to its extinction. https://gizmocrunch.com/backpage-alternative-websites/
ezystreamlive
View Profile
New user
Australia
22 Posts

Profile of ezystreamlive
I love doing the "I'd like to hear about your offer but I have tourette syndrome" when they call

and as they talk I shout obscenities at them saying sorry its tourette syndrome keep going

longest call is 1 minute so far
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Online Yellow Page Scam (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL