The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Faro Shuffle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mhend
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
108 Posts

Profile of mhend
I have my eye on a few tricks that require the Faro Shuffle. I'm having a bit of a time mastering it. Any tips on the best way to conquer this little monster?
"You should never, never doubt what no one is sure of." Willie Wonka
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Michael Close has a CD that I've used and I know many have used to get this down. What actually helped me best was once Harry Lorayne took a few minutes at one of his lectures to watch me do it, and give me a few pointers. That is what will probably work best for you. Find someone who does it well and let them watch you do it, then give you a few pointers. There are just so many things that could be going wrong for you. Everybody is a bit different.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Always practice with new cards..it will take you forever if you practice with a well-worn deck.
Self concept is destiny..
jake.o
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of jake.o
Tke a look at Unshuffling The Faro Shuffle by Paul Gertner. its a great dvd for learning the faro shuffle and also includes a great effect, unshuffled.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Generally, Bicycle decks faro better if you flip them over. Richard Turner sells Bees that are special-cut and faro very nicely. Once you get the feel with a good deck you will find other decks start to work for you as well...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
mhend
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
108 Posts

Profile of mhend
Thanks for the tips, guys. Greatly appreciated!
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Generally speaking you just have to do it and do it until you get the knack. Work at keeping the halves of the deck once cut VERY tight without bending. Use ONLY the corner of the half that you will 'shuffle' into the other half that will remain unmoving. Best,
Brad Burt
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Yes, and you will notice that just after you press the halves together at the corner, you must relax the pressure between them a bit...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1019 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Marlo's "The Faro Shuffle" from Revolutionary Card Technique did it for me eons ago; Expert Card Technique was my first try and it was impossible to learn it from that source.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I tell people wanting to learn the Faro Shuffle this: For the 1st two weeks, worry only about the cut. Cutting the deck exactly in half is the hard part. The weave is not so hard. So worry about the cut 1st. Just sit and cut the cards over and over. Don't even try to weave them. Just cut the deck until you can get 26/26 every time practically with your eyes shut. The weave will come easy after that. Smile
mhend
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
108 Posts

Profile of mhend
I've been working on the weave and here's the problem: I consistently get the outsides of the weave intertwined, but the middle remains solid. is it a technique problem or do I just need more time?
thanks!
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
What brand of cards are you using? The cheaper brands are harder to faro shuffle. Smile
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Oh, by the way, learn the table faro. It is, IMO, easier and it looks more like a natural shuffle. Learn it from Martin Nash's DVD, "Infinity and Beyond". Not only will you be doing table faros in about 30 minutes, but you learn one of the most brilliant card controls you will ever come across. Smile
mhend
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
108 Posts

Profile of mhend
Dpe666 thanks for the advice. my faro shuffle is already greatly improved.
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Quote:
On 2009-11-11 15:54, dpe666 wrote:
Oh, by the way, learn the table faro. It is, IMO, easier and it looks more like a natural shuffle. Learn it from Martin Nash's DVD, "Infinity and Beyond". Not only will you be doing table faros in about 30 minutes, but you learn one of the most brilliant card controls you will ever come across. Smile

Inspired by Leo Boudreau's superb thread http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=82 I myself have been practising small-packet table faros, where the small packet is currently sixteen cards. Leo's mathematics applies to power-of-2 packets of cards - or envelopes, billets, etc. It really is spooky the way the cards end up where you want them! Well worth checking out if you are comfortable with binary arithmetic. Meanwhile, I'm seeing if I can get my local library to order in the rare book "Magic tricks, card shuffling, and dynamic computer memories" by S. Brent Morris, which specifically appears to deal with 52 cards, or 53 when one adds a Joker, throughout.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Faro Shuffle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL