The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Gambling Scams (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Darren Kidby
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
291 Posts

Profile of Darren Kidby
This is one of my true loves,
Gambling scams and bar bets.
Ok so how many can we name?

here are a few.

3 shell game
Endless chain
3 card monty
The royal cut
Nims

just a few to start us off.
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Royal cut? That doesn't ring a bell.

Bye for now

Harold
Harold Cataquet
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
The Australian gambling game of "31".

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

Quote:
On 2002-04-01 03:15, TheMagicMan wrote:
This is one of my true loves,
Gambling scams and bar bets.
Ok so how many can we name?

here are a few.

3 shell game
Endless chain
3 card monty
The royal cut
Nims

just a few to start us off

Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
One of my favorites has always been a Harry Andeson bit that I saw him do on Cheers years ago.

I think Cliffy was his patsy. CLiff has a shot in front of him that he just ordered. Harry walks in and tosses his chapeau over it and bets Cliff a buck he can drink the shot without touching the hat. Cliff accepts.

Harry pushes his head under the bar, makes a glug glug, and comes up wiping the corner of his mouth. "It's gone."

"Noooooo."

"Check for yourself."

Cliff lifts the hat, smiling as he sees the shot still there, Harry grabs the shot and quickly downs it.

Cliff says, "Well that's easy, I can do that too," and he orders another shot and covers it with Harry's hat and bets Harry another $1. As Cliff goes under the bar Harry lifts the hat, downs the shot and covers the empty glass with the hat. Cliff reappears stating, It's gone."

"Noooooo," says Harry sarcastically.

"Check for yourself, "says Cliff.

Harry lifts the hat and Cliff is floored as he sees the glass is actually empty.

"Wow that was amazing Cliff. Here's your dollar back. I sure would like to try that again, is there a hole in this bar or something?"

Coach pours Cliff another shot and covers it with Harrys hat. "You know you're a pretty sharp guy," Harry continues. "I better only bet you a dime this time."

As Cliff accepts, Harry lifts his hat and quickly downs the shot.

"Hey, you touched the hat," Cliff protests.

"You are exactly right Cliff. I guess I owe you that dime." Harry pays up and quickly scoots out of the bar.

Cliff is sitting triumphantly staring at his shiny new dime as Coach says, "That'll be twelve bucks for the drinks Cliffy."

Smile

And I just noticed that this bit is in Harry's book Games You Can't Lose: A Guide For Suckers. He calls it Hook, Line, and Sinker. There is a lot of other great bar bets in there.

Oh, and this one is great too. I don't know how popular American College football is abroad but this is a sure fire winner here in the States and everyone's a taker because they ALWAYS think they're right (it's the strangest thing). (I posted this elsewhere but it was a total tangent so I cut and pasted it here.) Smile Ready?

Strike the Heisman Trophy pose.

Are you sure that's it? You're sure? Alright. See for yourself.

<expired link removed by staff>

I'll take a Guinness please. Smile

Print out the picture and carry it in your wallet for instant payup. The pose you did is what EVERYONE does.
Yakworld.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
American football? What's that? Smile

Like the hat thing, but don't get many wearing hats in pubs over here.
Paul.
MattSedlak
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of MattSedlak
Another gambling scam that magicians use is the ten card poker deal. The routine I would suggest learning is Darwin Ortiz's Mexican Poker from Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table.
Darren Kidby
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
291 Posts

Profile of Darren Kidby
Hey Matt, it's a fantastic poker deal, I already use it, it gets a great reaction
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
There is also "The Purse Swindle" mentioned in a few places.
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
BillParky
View Profile
Regular user
Atherton,Manchester,U.K.
123 Posts

Profile of BillParky
Hi Magicman
I do a neat bar challenge that goes like this:-
Produce a prepared block of wood with a flat headed nail about 4" long stuck in it vertically and challenge those present to balance 6 other nails on the head of the one stuck in the wood! The rules are that the loose nails cannot touch anything other than the nail fixed in the wood or another loose nail.
They'll try all sorts of methods but are doomed to failure unless they know the incredibly clever method.
It's good fun and will amaze.
Bill Smile
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
Dan Harlan has four videos of almost nothing but this kind of thing. Lots of good stunts, swindless and bar bets on these. If you are interested in that sort of thing, I recommend these. Eddie Fields had a great sucker bet that he used to use. He describes it on the A Day with Eddie Fields video.

Jim
Xaero
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Xaero
I have found that Scotch and Soda can be nice for winning bets and/or drinks.
Shenaniganz
View Profile
New user
Cypress, CA
100 Posts

Profile of Shenaniganz
Quote:

On 2002-07-26 10:55, BillParky wrote:

They'll try all sorts of methods but are doomed to failure unless they know the incredibly clever method.

Are you going to share the incredibly clever method with the class?

My favorite bar bet is that I can drink three beers before you can drink 3 shots. The only rule is you can't touch my glasses and I can't touch yours. (You can see where this goes)

Another one I like is eating 2 saltine crackers or 1 slice of sandwich bread in 30 seconds.
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
The 6 nail balance is a favorite of mine, but I usually do it for friends not as a bet... and I dont usually carry a block of wood and nails into a bar *L* I absolutely love the hat and shot bet.. going to have to try that sometime... I have one that a topless dancer showed me one time ..
she took an empty beer bottle and balanced it upside down on a dollar bill lying flat on a table... she challenged me to remove the dollar without touching the bottle and without knocking the bottle over..I thought..
hmm that seems easy enough, and after 3 or 4 trys of yanking that dollar out and tipping the bottle, she showed me how to do it.
she simply started rolling the dollar bill from the endin a tight roll.... when the roll reached the bottle, she kept rolling the bill and slowly pushed the bottle off of it... she never touched the bottle and she didnt knock it over.. pretty clever, it got me
Cheers
Tom Defrange Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
Magnus Maccormack
View Profile
New user
Calgary, Canada
67 Posts

Profile of Magnus Maccormack
One of my favourites involves a bit of exercise. Make a bet with someone that you can do a lot of push-ups. In fact, you can do between two and three hundred push-ups in under 90 seconds!

This sounds preposterours but once you have secured the bet, and enough witnesses) get down and do three or four. This would be between two and three hundred, n'est-ce pas?

Collect your bet. Smile
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
Magnus. I love it!!!

I'm doing that one tomorrow, Better check that I can still do 4 though LOL

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2002-04-01 09:28, yakandjak wrote:
One of my favorites has always been a Harry Andeson bit that I saw him do on Cheers years ago...

This bit was also featured on Harry Anderson's "Hello Sucker" special he taped for Showtime. The patsy in that video was his friend Turk Pipkin.

If you look closely you can also find Mike Caveny (sp?) in the audience with his wife Tina Lenert.

Also on the video: Harry's silent "shell game" routine set to a musical piece by Scott Joplin is a true work of art.

David
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
korbin27
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of korbin27
Thanks for the Bets guys, I never rely thought of putting things like this in my shows Smile
BillParky
View Profile
Regular user
Atherton,Manchester,U.K.
123 Posts

Profile of BillParky
Shenaniganz wants to know how to do the 7 nail trick. It's difficult to describe without pictures but I'll give it a go.

Take seven flat headed 4" nails which we'll say are numbered 1 to 7 for identification purposes. Drive nail 1 into a block of wood so that it stands up vertically with the head on top.Place this to one side until you have prepared the other 6 nails. Lie nail 2 down on the table horizontally with the head on your left hand side.Lie nail 3 down at right angles to nail 2 lying on top of nail 2 with the heads just about touching and the point towards you. Lie nail 4 similarly but with the point going away from you.

In plain view you now have a letter 'T' on its side with the heads of the nails together in the centre. Now do the same at the pointed end of nail 2 by lying nails 5 & 6 at right angles to nail 2 with their heads touching each other on top of the shaft of nail 2. In plan view it should now look like a letter 'H' with nail 2 forming the cross-bar of the 'H'.

Are you with me so far? Then comes the clever bit! Place the last nail, No. 7 on top of Nail 2 but with the head of nail 7 to your right hand side. This nail will rest on nails 3 & 4 on the left and nails 5 & 6 on the right and will rest between the heads of these nails. Now, using the tip of your right thumb and first finger grip nail 2 at its centre and gently lift it up vertically. The other 5 nails will all engage themselves naturally in a configuration which prevents them from falling apart and you can now gently place nail 2 on the head of nail 1 and the whole assembly will balance beautifully!

You have fulfilled the conditions of the challenge by balancing 6 nails on the head of one nail without them touching anything other than another nail. Magic it ain't but it's very clever and can be a lot of fun. Hope I've explained it clearly enough. Let me know if you could follow these instructions.
Bill Smile
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
Bill.

I love this trick. I've been down to my local "Do it all" built it, and it works brilliantly.

From your post I assume you won't mind sharing the answer, so I've photographed it and put it in the "Secret Sessions" Section.

Any problems and of course I will remove it immediately.

Cheers

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Dan Harlan's videos on scams are worthwhile viewing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Gambling Scams (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL