The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » translation copyrights (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TiendaMagia
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
134 Posts

Profile of TiendaMagia
Hi, I was thinking about translating a book to Spanish. What I wonder is how do you handle this? Is there a way to copyright your work (the translation)?

My idea was to translate the Tarbell course as I understand that is copyright free so I won't need to pay nobody for selling it.

Am I right in this one?

For example the Learned Pig is selling it in Cd. I think it's the same case with Anneman books.

But suppose I translate a copyright free work such as this one, how can I protect myself from someone ripping off my translation and selling it themselves?

Thanks in Advance
Cordially

Mariano Sosa

Magic Store in Europe

http://www.tiendamagia.com

Foro de magia en Castellano!

www.magiapotagia.com
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
My understanding is that the copyright of a translation (which in legal terms is a "derivative work") is separate from the original, but does not change any of the rights of the copyright holder of the original work. That is, the original copyright holder still has control over who may sell the work, etc., but the copyright holder of the derivative work is protected from having others copy his/her added contributions. In the case where copyright has expired on the original (or it has voluntarily been placed in the public domain), the copyright holder of the derivative work could do as s/he wishes with the derivative work, and be protected from copiers.

Incidentally, note that the Tarbell course as distributed by the Learned Pig is not the same as the several volumes of Tarbell books that we are all familiar with.

... Doug
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
TiendaMagia
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
134 Posts

Profile of TiendaMagia
hi Doug,
Thanks for your answer. It is clear to me now how this works.

I thought that the Tarbell course distributed by the Learned Pig was the same as the volumes.
How is it different?
It is not complete?

Thanks a lot
Cordially

Mariano Sosa

Magic Store in Europe

www.magiapotagia.com
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
The Learned Pig CD is a reproduction of the original 60-lesson correspondence course, not the Tannen books. Most of the material from Volumes 1-6 will be in the lessons, of course, but not presented the same way.

This is a good example of a "derivative work." The Tannen books are derivative of the original course; copyright has expired on the course, so it can be reproduced, but the Tannen reorganization is still protected, as are Volumes #7-8 (though #8 contains some original course material, and that is probably in the CD version).

... Doug
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
TiendaMagia
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
134 Posts

Profile of TiendaMagia
Thanks a lot Doug,

So I could take the original course as it is in the Leraned Pig cd or elsewhere and transalate it to Spanish right?

I could hold the rights then of that derivative work in Spanish?

One last question, what do I need to do to hold the copyrights?

Do I need to register it somewhere?

Thanks again
Best regards
Cordially

Mariano Sosa

Magic Store in Europe

www.magiapotagia.com
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
The answer to your first two questions is "yes." For the second two, you'll find some information here. Note that the discussion pertains to U.S. copyrights, though... I don't know what the rules are in Argentina.

... Doug
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Well, the answer to question one is actually a maybe, not a yes. That depends on if there is any editing or other changes which render the LPP version (or any other version) protected by its own copyright. If it's protected as its own derivative work, then you couldn't translate it; you'd have to obtain the public domain original just like they did.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
TiendaMagia
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
134 Posts

Profile of TiendaMagia
That is what I thought. Well guys, thanks a lot for the info. I understand now how it works.
Best regards
Cordially

Mariano Sosa

Magic Store in Europe

www.magiapotagia.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » translation copyrights (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL