The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Contact Juggling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

edgegrip
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of edgegrip
Hello Guys! just new here in the Café. I'm practicing contact juggling for about 3 months now. contact juggling is very addicting and it is also a good excercise. anyone who is into contact juggling also? anyone can give tips? I don't have any videos of cj because it is very hard to get here in my country. my only source is youtube which has a ton of good video clip of cj. Thanks and Mabuhay

Edgegrip
Philippines
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Play, there is no wrong in CJing, the more you play the better you get.
for more specific answers you will have to ask more specific questions.
Welcome to the Café! Smile
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
edgegrip
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of edgegrip
Thanks for the reply Pokie! I'm currently practicing the body roll and its really *** hard. maybe because I'm using the 3 inch acrylic? is it easier to do body roll if you use the 4 inch ball?
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Yes the bigger the ball the easier it rolls over the random sleeve, buttons, other bits of clothing.
I use a 3" as I think it is the best of both worlds. (it is also the size I started with) I started with 3" dube stage balls.

I do body rolls in the outfit you see in my photo, some times it will get stuck at the mid point in the mantel, if this happens I grab the end of the mantel and lift it up, the ball goes thou the neck and I catch it on the way down, then act like I meant to it like that.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
I think the attitude with contact juggling is - don't expect any decent results for two years.
It takes time for your body and mind to adapt to this art form, I've been at it on and off for fifteen years and have now got a good performable routine to music.
Stick with it, persevere and enjoy the experience.

A few posts down under "Juggling video clip" is a routine that only took me a year to put together!
edgegrip
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of edgegrip
Nice! good to hear that there are experience contact jugglers here.... yes, it takes endless practice and you must have the passion of what you are doing. I'm practicing at least 2 to 3 hours a day, can practice whole day coz I have a day job. body roll is really hard. I'm practicing it with a tight shirt. I'm also practing some isolations and butterflies but don't have that much finesse yet. by the way, great inputs guys... learning a lot from you guys! ^_^
SenseiStrange
View Profile
Veteran user
The Dead God's Dreams
345 Posts

Profile of SenseiStrange
I have been Cjing for many years. I found there is a steep learning curve at the beginning.

at 2 hours a day you should have a great set in a few months.

Here is mine - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9C1OVCTLqY
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I like small but more frequent practice sessions although I have bin doing this for a long time.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Hi,

I do very little body rolling, almost just the arms and chest...I prefer to manipulate the sphere in a more "illusion" way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT_p7eRLppY

What is great with CJ is that you can have fun with 1 to 8 balls, each time discovering something new...
Today I'm working on a 7-ball pattern which gave me nightmares...and wrist aches !!

Have fun and as said, be prepared to spend a lot of time to have fun with your CJ !

Best
edgegrip
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of edgegrip
Hi Lawrens! Been a fun of your cj works.... it was so *** smooth.... really like the isolations.... everytime I watch your routine, I really amazed... it was very hypnotic! OT, I'm a a fan also of your coin effects... specially your 3 coin routine. Can't wait to see more from you.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Wow, this is my first look here. Beautiful and amazing.

I've only done a bit with two balls so SenseiStrange is a surprise. Great!

Lawrens, you are hypnotic. Is that real speed?

I've been CJ for several years but I don't have a talent for it, I just love it. I currently use a 3" Dube mostly because its easier on my wrists. Will I have to use my acrylic ball to get the smooth look I see others achieving or is it probably a practice thing?

-Mary Mowder
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
If the ball is to light it will bounce about and not be smooth. Also, if the ball has any marks on it you loose the Illusion. other than that If you are having fun you have the nack.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Thanks Edgegrip !

Mary, yes this is real speed : slow !!

For all of you who want to learn further, here's a free ebook to download from Kae Verens :
http://verens.com/archives/2006/09/10/ka......g/cjdoc/

Have fun !
edgegrip
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of edgegrip
Thanks for the link Lawrens... Need to polish my isolation. ant tips?
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Edgegrip,

the best advice I could give about polishing isolations is...slow down.

I mean really slow it down to an almost still move.

Take the palmspin isolation for example.
You probably know that to be in order of doing it, you must master the palm circle, where the ball does a full circle on the palm of your hand, the largest the better.
Try to do a circle in ONE MINUTE, no less !
Try to identify each point the ball crosses, and stop on it a few seconds.
Soon you'll be able to do a slow and regular circle, with no bumps, because like this the muscle memory works full time...

Believe me, this is one of the "super-ninja secret" to good isolation !!

Hope this help!

Have fun !
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
I've been Cj-ing for 7 months now, and I've made serious progress.
I use it in performances as well. I am, like Lawrens a huge fan of isolations. Laypeople love them! It's a great intro into a magicroutine.

Good luck!
edgegrip
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of edgegrip
Hi Lawrens.... Thanks for the tips.... Still working on isolation.

where is the best place to buy the 4 inch acyrlic ball online? it looks better to do a isolation in a 4 inch ball.
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
Neonhusky has great selections on acrylics. I am a little more partial to my 3.5 ball - still big, but not quite so heavy. If you start with a smaller ball practicing an iso you will find them much easier w/ the larger size.
edgegrip
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of edgegrip
Hello my fellow CJers! Im still polishing my iso. not yet satisfied with it... hope to get a 4 inch ball....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Contact Juggling (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL