The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Old Chicago, Applebee's and Red Robin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Hey Guys,

I am thinking of approaching these three restaurants near my house for work. Anybody here work for any of these restaurants? I would love to hear what you think about working them - good and bad? Feel free to PM me if you like.

Thanks,
Richard
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Applebee's... For a short time, but they are nice!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Hansel,

Are you no longer at your Applebees? What happened?

I've played at BOTH Applebees and Red Robin. The Applebees I was at didn't work out b/c the night I was there they were always dead. I'm sure a different night of the week would have yielded different results but I wasn't available any other night of the week. I actually went to the GM and ended the relationship. He understood and agreed and kept it open if another night of the week should ever open up to give him a call.

My experience with Red Robin was not pleasant from the GM stand point. He never should have agreed to bring me on...but he did, and I ended up paying the price. He told me during the pitch that he hated magicians b/c they always make people stay too long when he's trying to turn over tables. I agreed that many don't understand the concept of restaurant entertainment but that I did. He hired me on and within a week or two began telling me that I would have to work only for tips. I told him that wasn't going to happen and things went downhill from there.

That GM has since been fired and I have gotten a few phone calls from their NEW GM wanting me to come out and perform...but for me, the damage has already been done!

That was just MY experience with the chain and isn't the norm I'm sure.

Never heard of the other chain. Good luck with it all. I really hope it works out for you.

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Old Chicago is a pizza restaurant with a separate bar area. I've never done this work,but it seems perfect for a Magician to entertain. I have seen them use balloon twisters ( talented chaps ).
~Joe
T.House
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of T.House
The control of entertainment at our Applebees is in the hands of someone out of town, and they are not interested.

I did work at Old Chicago for about 3 years, but they have a new GM and business is down, so I have been laid off for a while. It was a good place to work.

I approached Red Robin, but the GM had no interest. Of the 3, this seems the least attractive place to work, in terms of layout and noise.

Bruce
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I'm at a red robin for about a year and they love me. lots of fun!
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1422 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
I worked a Red Robin many years ago and it was a pleasant experience. It really all depends on the servers and the managment. I think you should go for all three, Richard!
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2043 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
I've worked at many Applebees all over Western New York for four years now, and I can say that the experience is absolutely fantastic. I highly recommend giving them a shot. You roll the dice with any GM, but Applebees is a particularly pleasant place to do magic.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Lyle:
My situation was more or less the same. At the opening of the restaurant there are always full, but when they slow down we have VERY SLOW nights and they decide to give the entertainment a break, per the positive site the GM of the restaurant give very good recomendations on my job and I found other places or privates parties to perform!
My best always,
Hansel!!!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Old Chicago, Applebee's and Red Robin (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL