The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Wanna make own Slydini's silk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of asgar
I wanna make my own pair of Slydini's silks. Will the silks in the market work? Which silk is best for this use?
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
If I'm not mistaken, the Slydini Silks today are made from parachute material. You might check that out.

-Ron
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The marketed Slydini Silks are made from rip-stop nylon. He taught me how to perform it with regular 18" silks.

His were 21".

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Rip-Stop is available in a variety of colors at Joann's and Hancock Fabrics.

If you tease a thread out along the outer border and hem lines it really makes cutting a true square and hemming easier. It is well worth the extra time. pm me if you want details as it is not easy.

I'm usually working with Butterfly linings which look like Silk (don't pack like silk) and wear like iron.
I'm assuming the same would apply to Rip Stop.

-Mary Mowder
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of asgar
Thanks everyone. Specifically where can I get the cloth like rip-stop nylon, Butterfly linings, parachute material near Washington DC and how much it will cost.

And again I guess Bob Sanders personally knew Slydini. I'm the biggest fan of Slydini. I hope he will write 'bout Slydini as a person, his interactions with him and then send a pm to me informing where he posted it.
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
By trade, Tony Slydini was a tailor. That is why he made these rip-stop hanks himself. What he sold at lectures and in shops were all white, but he made me a few from colored material because I was about his only student who liked dove magic best. I have never used them because they are just too stiff for pretty dove magic. But, of course, they are priceless to me.

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dear asgar,

Never mind about the thread teasing stuff. Rip Stop has a tiny grid that will make it unnecessary.

Just ask the people at the shop if they have Rip- Stop or parachute material. The right material has a tiny grid in it. If you've seen Slydini Silks you know what I mean.

I'll pm you the rest.

-Mary Mowder
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The lady is right on target!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Having made plenty of these 'silks' out of rip-stop nylon, pay particular attention to making a very narrow hem (difficult to do with this material!) and the corners need to be FLAT!. Otherwise, you are realy making problems for yourself on the performance end of things.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just buy a French hemming/serger machine for an attachment for your sewing machine. Today's sewing machines are really easy to use and do all the hard work for you.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Used sets are often for sale here on the Café. I don't know if you have to have 50 posts to get in there but it may be better than making your own.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Does anybody know the size of the silks included in the Slydini's Knotted Silks with DVD?

TIA!
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
18"
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I'm lucky....

Tony Slydini gave me four sets of his silks when I met him at the Faucett Ross Magic Fest. He loved my false shuffle and said it was the best he'd ever seen.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've been using silks from Bob Sanders for years, for the effect. Good silks will hold up the the stresses of the handling. I sewed a few stitches in the corners of one silk, in a slightly different color, so that I can tell them apart.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I have been using the marketed version for a while now and just because it is what I have used, I probably will not use anything else.

As far as making them yourself, you may end up paying more to make them yourself than if you just bought the marketed version. The ones that I have, as Alan mentioned above, have a corner on one of the silks to help keep track of it in the tying process. After a while of doing it, you more than likely will not need it, but sometimes it is a great help when having an audience member help tie them. They also have a ridiculously tiny hem and the thread that was used to sew the hem is quite thick (read: strong).

FYI - the version that I have was $30 from a dealer. BUT, if you still want to make your own, I have seen the Rip-Stop material at JoAnn Fabric and Hancock Fabric stores as Mary mentioned above, but also in some Hobby Lobby stores.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Jay Scott Berry sells (or did) a diamond silk that is longer than it is wide, but in performance looks like a regular silk. I am wondering if that pattern would be better for the Knotted Silk routine, as there would be less bunching at the knot.

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-07-23 10:09, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
Jay Scott Berry sells (or did) a diamond silk that is longer than it is wide, but in performance looks like a regular silk. I am wondering if that pattern would be better for the Knotted Silk routine, as there would be less bunching at the knot.

Jim

There is a reason to use nylon and NOT silk. It works better, silk will catch and tighten. Being the trick depends on seeing the knot (that is where all the audience attention is focused) a full material is best for this effect. Using the thin corners of a Diamond Silk, would not work in my opinion. Small thin knot, harder to see, and will not release visually as it is suppose to, it would kill the magic moment and the total effect.

Just received General Grant's Price list, he lists the Slydini Silks for sale from him as well.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Good point, Bill. Thanks.

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2012-07-23 10:26, Bill Hegbli wrote:
There is a reason to use nylon and NOT silk. It works better, silk will catch and tighten. Being the trick depends on seeing the knot (that is where all the audience attention is focused) a full material is best for this effect. Using the thin corners of a Diamond Silk, would not work in my opinion. Small thin knot, harder to see, and will not release visually as it is suppose to, it would kill the magic moment and the total effect.

I use silk and it works as well as nylon. I wanted to add color to my act, and using quality silk was a way of doing that. My routine is different than Slydini's routine, in that I have a spectator on stage with me throughout the routine, tying the knots. The slight difference in knot size isn't a big issue. Also, my knot displays are such that the knot is obvious.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Wanna make own Slydini's silk (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL