The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Wanna make own Slydini's silk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
That is exactly what I was asking about, Alan. Thank you for giving me the direction necessary for me to move forward with my attempts to work this out...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
LOL! Silk has 2/3s the tensile strength of steel. (The US Navy quit using Nylon rope for a reason!) Silk is used for safety with copper wire. Guess which breaks first!

Tony used the Nylon for several reasons. One - it is cheaper than silk. Two - it looks like a man's hank. Three - he could make them himself with a home sewing machine. (Remember that he was a tailor by trade.) Four - it did not look like something you could buy readymade.

As reported before, he taught me the routine using real silks back in the late 60s. For teaching purposes, he even used two different colors.

This reminds me of card magicians who debate using red or blue backed cards for the 21 card trick! We are majoring in the minors here.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bob, is just sounds more like, just tell me what I want to hear.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Sometimes that is what the facts are. Tony gave me many sets of the Nylon ones. Remember that I am also a graduate marketing professor and consultant. The Nylon hanks were more about marketing than anything else. I have no problem with that (nor would Tony Slydini).

I have never said don't use them. But Nylon versus silk in this case is not supported by any other facts than just marketing. The meat of the effect is the routine and not the props. Even magicians have to deal with the facts sometimes.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-08-18 08:41, Bob Sanders wrote:
LOL! Silk has 2/3s the tensile strength of steel. (The US Navy quit using Nylon rope for a reason!) Silk is used for safety with copper wire. Guess which breaks first!

Tony used the Nylon for several reasons. One - it is cheaper than silk. Two - it looks like a man's hank. Three - he could make them himself with a home sewing machine. (Remember that he was a tailor by trade.) Four - it did not look like something you could buy readymade.

As reported before, he taught me the routine using real silks back in the late 60s. For teaching purposes, he even used two different colors.

This reminds me of card magicians who debate using red or blue backed cards for the 21 card trick! We are majoring in the minors here.

I am trying to understand, but this makes no sense to me!

First, what does tensile strength have to do with a knotted silk magic trick?

Second, if "cheaper" was a factor for Slydini, then I am going to quit magic and look for a job in the car wash.

Third, ignoring the fact that the man was a tailor - why do you not want your silks to look ready-made- is "special" better?

Lastly- to those of us who are not among the world's best, the last para is insulting and arrogant- if this stuff annoys you, you should go do something that makes your heart sing...

Jim
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2012-08-20 01:39, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:

First, what does tensile strength have to do with a knotted silk magic trick?

If you perform it as a challenge effect, like I do, they will tie a VERY tight knot. Cotton will rip. I've been using the same silks for a few years now and they are holding up better than nylon ever did.
Scotty Walsh
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
207 Posts

Profile of Scotty Walsh
Years ago, a friend of mine made a number of sets of these for me out of the rip-stop fabric from Jo-Anne's; 18" in both White and Yellow. I showed them to Harry Anderson when he had his shop in New Orleans, and he liked them but said he liked them bigger, so we made a 24" set for Harry. He said that he liked to put the knots in his mouth to undo them.

Bottom line, though, is I still have a number of these sets. Why? Because they are indestructible. I used them in my street show in New Orleans during the hottest time of the year until they got soft and pliable. And dirty. I washed them and they came clean. I am still on my first set, and it's like new, except for softer. I ordered a Magic Maker's set from Penguin recently, because I am in Italy and my silks are not. But the Magic Maker's set is already ripping just from a little practicing and one performance.

So, use the nylon rip-stop and break it in to make it softer, would be my advice.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

I will try that - thanks!

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Wanna make own Slydini's silk (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL