The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I don't think I'm being unreasonable.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
As anyone who reads my posts knows I work as a customer service type of computer techish type fellow for a big arse telecom company. I have fun doing it and every call, to me, is a performance and I have written jokes for different situations on calls. Now being a comic and writer I hate....HATE....when people steal my lines w/out asking if it is cool first. I don't mind sharing material to be honest with you but dang, show a bit of courtesy. I start noticing that people are using MY lines! Not only that but their timing sucks. I asked my boss if I could copyright my material but noooo, I then ask if I can at least do a seminar on timing and presentation, again noooo. What up with that? My lines have made me one of the top ten in possitive customer surveys in the facility (I got my numbers in three weeks against others who had the entire quarter), now I'm watching my material die!!

Here is an example of a stupid scripting I came up for when people want to register their account and they ask about filling in the four security questions:

"You can fill 'em all in but us guys use the same answer for everything, we are simple that way. For example on my security answers my dogs name is Elvis, my mothers name is Elvis, I was born in Elvis, and my favorite singer is Frank Sinatra".

Pretty good for customer service calls and those that get it like it and responde with possitive comments. Man you should hear people butcher that simple statement, they forget the punch!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Santa
I know exactly how you feel my kids use my lines on me all the time.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Santa, I feel two ways about this.

The magician in me, hates being robbed of my material. Truthfully, it is very rare that this happens, at least that I am aware of. Still, Spontaneous or planned, I can be funny on stage and I do believe what comes out of my mouth is my intellectual property.

Here comes the problem. I am also a teacher. Teachers are well known for being very open and willing to share their material. As a teacher, I feel proud when someone uses my stuff and it works for them.

I agree with you that it is nice when someone asks upfront, but it is lousy to watch someone else butcher my material. I don't know that there is anything to be done but to grin and bear it.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
The unfortunate part of "a Comedy line" is that more than one person can come up with the exact line at similar times.

In addition, a slight revision can bring an older line up-to-date:

"You can fill 'em all in but us guys use the same answer for everything, we are simple that way. For example on my security answers for my dogs name is Copperfield, my mothers name is Copperfield, I was born in Copperfield, NJ and my favorite magician is Houdini".

The point is this line follows the standard comedy format. Lead them down a path where they anticipate the answer and that answer is opposite of what is expected. That is why these type of lines are funny. And yes, delivery is very important as well as audience and the "times"
Dennis Michael
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Dennis, You seem to have missed the point. He was just giving one example. They are ripping him off, not asking, and botching the jokes. Management won't let him tell them to stop, or teach them how to do it right.

Santa, your bosses are short sighted. Blow it off, and keep doing what you do. Maybe when the others hang up you could say "Boy you messed that joke up". And they'd ask you what you mean.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
A few people have stolen my lines at work. I work at a Trader Joe's and so they encourage humor and fun. I've had a few repeat customers come through my line who looked like they've heard the jokes before, I was a bit confused. And of course, later on I heard another worker using them. Very annoying, but flattering at the same time.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Non-performers don't even have any concept of material theft and ethics, where as most performers have heard of those terms, but see them as more as 'optional guidelines'. It's all in my book Smile
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Only had one joke stolen from me, "The Scottish Lisp."
There are only two people who know I came up with that bit. Of course, it's not butchered. The guy that does it uses all of the same inflections that I do and even makes a face like he's gotta' poo, which is actually kind of cute.
Meh.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
Santa, when comics on tv are imitated all over the country and they can't do anything about it, it's not that surprising that a talented telephone customer service rep with great jokes is imitated and there isn't much he can do about it.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
People steal my lines i,e

"You can fill 'em all in but us guys use the same answer for everything, we are simple that way. For example on my security answers my dogs name is Elvis, my mothers name is Elvis, I was born in Elvis, and my favorite singer is Frank Sinatra".

You have got to be kidding?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Rules 3 and 4 of comedy.
3. Don't steal material.
4. When you do steal material, perform it well.
-Don Parkins
~Will Rogers
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Ya, it sucks. But, it happens. People doing it that aren't performers don't often understand the problem as has been pointed out.

Doing stand-up in bars, you often have someone in the audience after a show that's had a few come up to you to tell you a joke. They often do it poorly and it almost always is one you've heard before. Being polite, you smile and say thanks. They ask did you like it. You lie, being polite and say yes. Then they say, "You can use that in your next show."

They think they are being helpful. They have a joke they have heard and they think is funny. They retell the joke, because that is what jokes are for. Since both jokes and comedians make them laugh, they don't see the difference.

Santa, they don't see the difference between you and a joke. (I mean that of course in the nicest way!)
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Quote:
On 2009-11-07 15:31, critter wrote:
Rules 3 and 4 of comedy.
3. Don't steal material.
4. When you do steal material, perform it well.
-Don Parkins

There is no 4th rule, and the third rule is the first rule and there are no more!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Hey, I didn't write the rules chief. Just repeating something this nightclub owner I know tells the performers on open mic night.
Notice how I put his name because it's not stealing if you credit the original performer, it's quoting.
~Will Rogers
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I know - I just think they are very wrong - terrible advice to new comedians!
doubletime
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of doubletime
I'm with ya!
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
See what you need to do when you are going to steal someone else's shtick is act offended by it (Anything can be offensive to anyone anywhere, good reason is not needed). Then when you have bullied and shamed the creator into dropping said shtick, use it as much as you want.

As for Santa's 'joke', that is in terrible taste. Those people you are mocking are dead! This behavior needs to stop. You should be ashamed.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Absolutely. This is the problem from hell.

Gianni
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2009-11-07 17:00, Rupert Bair wrote:
I know - I just think they are very wrong - terrible advice to new comedians!

Well I think rule 3 is good advice, and rule 4 is a good punchline. Maybe it's not coming across in the delivery of this keyboard...
~Will Rogers
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-11-07 23:07, critter wrote:
Maybe it's not coming across in the delivery of this keyboard...

Try FedEx next time! (bada boom)
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I don't think I'm being unreasonable.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL